• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok im on a budget...How is this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wuzzapiman

A few replies then i'll probably delete this thread.
this is all for $1410
Its a system made for Extreme overclocking...Should be main Rig till april.

From Ocsystem.com
Athlon XP 2400+
Arctic Silver 3
Copper Shim
EPoX 8k9a2+ (does that have a 1/6 divider?) auto CPU unlock
512 GelL PC3200 DDR400 CAS 2 1T
WD800JB 80Gig 8Mb cache
16x DVD color chromed
48x12x48 CDRW color chromed
Generic Floppy
Audigy OEM
Their Oc'd Geforce4 Ti4200 @ 320/610 (will try to get more) (copper cooler)
2x Blue cold cathode
3 day shipping

From Case-Mod.com
Gemini Cool High flow Spiral Waterblock
Via Aqua 1300 w/ 3/8 Barbs
Bay-Res Resevoir 3/8
120MM Radiator
2x Chrome 120mm Fans w/ Grills
7Ft Clearflex tubing 3/8
4 Elbow thingis 3/8
Silver Cheiftec Dragon w/ 420w PSU and 2 case fans
Silver Round Cables for all drives
5 Day Max Shipping

well that looks really final any little things i should change?

copper shims are a HUGE no no.... they short out cpus and if you use any use a anodized shim... there is no reason to use a shim, especially since you are using a block that mounts through the board so it is IMPOSSIBLE to crack the cpu core!
the board you have does NOT have the 1/6 divisor either....
Geil ram is a scam they are owned by OCZ so i suggestion you get corsair. your ram is NOT going to do the specs unless you give it more than 3volts.
as for the water cooling everything looks fine except if you want it to cool better get 1/2 fittings on everything rather than 3/8.

EDIT: i just read you are planning on ordering from Ocsystem.com!!! DONT they are a scam! get it from newegg.com or any other reputable dealer... www.resellerratings.com

Looks pretty good. A few thoughts.

First, if money is a real big deal, you could make the reservoir yourself. Second, I'm not sure what the GPM of the ViaAqua 1300 is, but the Gemini Cool normal flow waterblock might also be sufficient (it costs less). Third, the Sunon fans that come with the Chieftec case are a bit loud. You may want to consider variable speed fans.

Question: are you using PriceWatch to do your competitive vendor shopping? If not, that would a good place to see if you are getting the best deal. Also, if you use out-of-state vendors, you can avoid state sales tax, which in California, on $1,400, would amount to $115.50 in savings (8.25%).

Emericana said:
Geil ram is a scam they are owned by OCZ so i suggestion you get corsair. your ram is NOT going to do the specs unless you give it more than 3volts.

Not necessarily. My girlfriend is getting 3238/3232 on 152FSB, or 228MHz on a OCZ PC3000 512Mb stick (at default voltage, 4:6 divider), which is deeply OVER spec. Have you ever tested this RAM before?

O god will it work for 1?x200 atleast i need a quick reply... and OC systems looks good. I really dont care as long as i get what i ordered in 3 days and it functions

wuzzapiman said:
as long as i get what i ordered in 3 days and it functions
The retailer not living up to those 2 things are what give them a bad resellers rating. I sugguest you NOT buy from them. Most everyone on the internet is out to screw you, stick with someone who has a high resellers rating like newegg.

and since when is a $1400 computer being on a buget? lol. If you are straped for cash you could go with a cheaper cpu until the price drops on the 2400. like a 1600+ from newegg for $52.
Case mods like lights can always wait as well, so can watercooling.

Edit: and everyone is right about the ram. OCZ (and its sub companies) dont have a good rep. You are taking a big gamble on that ram. Again you should go with a trusted and reialible company (like Corsair, Mushkin, or samsung) instead of these shady outfits.

i seem to remember some ppl saying that the 3200 geil was a poor choice, not the 3000

why not OC the vid. card yourself?

i dont care about shipping time, cause a week after i got my rig in the mail, i was still configuring it, and had it apart most of the time. why do you need it in 3 days?

Well i went Newegg and got this with 2 day shipping (im 13 and very impatient!)

Athlon XP 2400+ (how do u unlock it?)

Abit AT7-MAX2 (does that unlock?)

512 Corsair XMS cas2 PC3200

Arctic Silver 3

WD 800JB 80Gig Special Edition 8mb cache

Albatron Ti4200 Turbo 128Mb <-- 3.3ns Mem 330/700 here i come lol

48x Lite on CD-RW

no DVD :( hell i only have a 17" monitor n e way--fast shipping instead.

Audigy OEM

Black mit.. FDD

and a 15" Blue CCL from case-mod (and 2 day air of coarse)

Why not just have fedex saver 3 day? its WAY cheaper and you can wait another day.
And do what I said and get a 1600+ for now, or even a duron 1gig (oced to 1.33 easily). and wait until the price on the 2400+ comes down. Its VERY high right now because they are limited in supply, and a high demand.

Edit: and I reccomend the pioneer 16x slot load dvd :) If you get a cheap processor (to wait until the other comes down) and go with saver 3day shipping you can easily afford the dvd rom.

I GOT A DECLINE EMAIL FROM NEWEGG AND THEN THE LINK SAID THIS:

WTF!!!!!!!

Credit Card update for Decline Sales order

Our record indicates all of your orders has been successfully processed.
There is no decline order in this account.
Thank You.

BigRed said:
...and since when is a $1400 computer being on a buget? lol...

Agreed. I just upped a system to a P4 1.6A, Asus P4S533, Chieftec case, 420W p/s, OCZ 512Mb RAM, and a Ti4200 for about $700. The system runs stable at 2.5GHz and gets nice benchmarks.

Its not a budget computer, just it doesnt have a unlimited amount. The deal with the DVD Drive is: I can get one at compusa and tell my parents to deduct it from my allowance and theyll totaly forget about it

wuzzapiman said:
Its not a budget computer, just it doesnt have a unlimited amount. The deal with the DVD Drive is: I can get one at compusa and tell my parents to deduct it from my allowance and theyll totaly forget about it

Oh yeah!! Gotta milk it!! :D

wuzzapiman said:
I GOT A DECLINE EMAIL FROM NEWEGG AND THEN THE LINK SAID THIS:

WTF!!!!!!!

Credit Card update for Decline Sales order

Our record indicates all of your orders has been successfully processed.
There is no decline order in this account.
Thank You.

maybe the credit card was declined then newegg tried to recharge the CC and it went thru.

BTW DONT ORDER FROM OCSYSTEM. They made me wait over 3 weeks on a order because they didnt have a clear fan in stock even after I told them to ship it without the fan. Buttheads.

Back