• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.6 running at 1.73???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hydrasport_kda

I am new to the PC modding world but when I realized what I was missing I jumped in feet first. Bought a barebones kit and decided to put one together. Have spent hours searching the web for info and found this site... Great Site.

Now..my problem. I downloaded WCPUID and it says my P4 is running 1.7GHz, not the 2.6 that I paid for. What gives?

Where do I start in determining what is my problem?

Go into your BIOS, and rasie the FSB.

Is it a P4 2.6C? If so, the multiplyer is locked at 13, so an FSB of 200 will give you 2..6....

Also, an INTEL CPU should say upon boot what cpu it is.

For instance, mine says INTEL 2.6, and detects clockspeeds at 3.3 Ghz.

OK. My BIOS detects the P4 2.6 but it then indicates the 1.7GHz number.

I checked the SOYO website and it says the mobo supports 800Mhz FSB (using special instructions).

It indicates that in order to increase the FSB, remove the FSB jumper, and then manually set the cpu frequency to 200 and then it should work.

I tried that and it indicates my memory is frequency is now 333MHz and with the jumper in the default position (auto detect) it says it is at 352MHz. Irrelevent to the issue for now I assume but I bought PC3200 400MHz memory...of which the mobo supports 333/266.

Am I making sense? Do I just need to spend some time with the BIOS?

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the length of mine.

ok i dled pc wizard 2004 and i got some figures for you guys, manufacter compaq, mainboard compaq, bios compaq, chipset intel82845/e/mp/mz brookdale Cpu to I/O Bridge, 384 mb sdram, intel pentium 4, 1496 mhz, data cahce L1 8kb, trace cahce L1 12 something, 256 kb cahce L2, 2.0 voltage, and it only gives me the hard disk temp which is 38 C... i have been told that i cant overclock store bought pcs... :( is it true?

OK. Here's a heads up for everyone. It took me a couple of tries to figure this one out.

SOYO indicates to change the CPU frequency mode to manual and the speed to 200MHZ. I set my mode to Manual and the CPU Frequency was already set at 200MHZ so I didn't adjust it (seems logical, right). Rebooted....nothing! Clear CMOS..try again.... However, I started to play around and noticed that when I went back up and then back to 200MHZ, the DRAM speed went from 333 to 400MHZ!!!

Eureka! I have found the extra 0.9GHZ I paid for... now to get out what I haven't paid for!

PS. Anyone have any temperature limits I should use? I am not looking to go water cooled or anything crazy..just wanting to maximize my usage!

Back