• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help- persistent problem...this one is tough

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Taylor

the problem:
driver installation for my MSI ge force 5200 causes the system to hang whenever a restart is attempted. Specifically, windows shuts down and I end up with a blank screen, cursor flashing at me.

I've installed the VIAHyperion4in1451v package for my mobo, but no help there.

I've installed the latest driver from nvidia, but no help there either...

In anticipation of the next question, yes, I installed these drivers on a fresh install of windows an a freshly formatted hd.

Thanks so much for the suggestions so far, and TIA for continuing to help!

-T

win me (yeah yeah I know:p)
soyo dragon platinum, KT400
T-bird 1333
.5gb mushkin ddr
maxtor 30GB

(all at spec)

Last edited:
The last suggestion ur not gonna like but I would buy a new card or return it and be done with this maddness.

I thought of that. I'm not ready to give up yet. The problem is maybe lots of people may have dealt with this before, but they're not neccesarily hanging out here on the nvidia board. Anyone have any other ideas?

have you tried installing them in safe mode? that's how i do it to get around windows auto installing those dang 52.16 drivers.

He doesnt have an Nforce board, so the 4in1s are the VIA chipset anyways. Dunno what could be the prob, but you may want to think about a different card.

did you order this card from newegg by anychance? i had to send back 2 of my ti4200's before i finally got a working one.

is it possible to flash your bios at all?

I bought it at the warehouse of a mail-order company, I think it's computer warehouse or something like that.

Well, I must say I'm surprised at the recommendation of giving up on the card, but oh well. I think I'll just leave it alone then. The retart problem is a ****er but not enough to make me return the card. I've had it too long to return it anyway, I gotta get out of this habit I have, I buy components when I see a good price, and eventually I have enough to build a 'puter, but that means the components end up sitting on the shelf. The mobo was on my shelf for almost a year. The vid card I bought a month ago. Thing is, usually by the time I get all the everything, the unit price of each component has gone down anyway. Maybe now, when I see a good price on a component, I'll stick the $$ in a kitty and when I have everything accounted for, I'll buy it all at once.

Back