• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: .Arctic. (modding on a budget)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
lol about the age thing i know what its like im not alowed to buy a hot glue gun cos im under age ahhhhh it realy takes the pss

Last edited:
Ok, you need to get a can of gloss overcoat as well. The Gloss of the paint goes to the top and essentially dissappears when you sand it flat, so you will need a clear gloss overcoat ( 2000 grit is not nearly smooth enought to produce shine on the product) unless of course you want a dullish, snowy finish instead. You can also not sand your last color coat, but it will be fairly smooth, but a lot of orange peel though.

well well; I'm very happy with the first two coats of paint on this baby; TWO COATS without sanding and I'm getting some sheen from the lights. This is going to be fantastic.

Here's some pics so you can see the sheen, as well as some trouble spots I am going to have to tend to. It's surprisingly smooth in some areas, and in the trouble spots it gets surprisingly rough.

Anyhow, pics.
DSCF0663.jpg

DSCF0656.jpg

I'm going to Lowe's soon; I'm going to pick up some more acrylic for the windowed side that I'm going to be working on.

~pd

@/2ct!< said:
Ok, you need to get a can of gloss overcoat as well. The Gloss of the paint goes to the top and essentially dissappears when you sand it flat, so you will need a clear gloss overcoat ( 2000 grit is not nearly smooth enought to produce shine on the product) unless of course you want a dullish, snowy finish instead. You can also not sand your last color coat, but it will be fairly smooth, but a lot of orange peel though.

What price are we talking for this gloss overcoat? I'm intrigued.

By the way, for everybody else: I'm preparing to work on the window: I bought the new window tonight at Home Depot; Lowe's didn't have the size I needed.

~pd

Last edited:
RIPSTER, you arn't allowed to buy a glue gun???? Now that's bad. I've walked into the crafts store before and this 8 year old kid bought a hot glue gun while his mom finished checking a shelf for something =P.

phantomditto said:
What price are we talking for this gloss overcoat? I'm intrigued.

By the way, for everybody else: I'm preparing to work on the window: I bought the new window tonight at Home Depot; Lowe's didn't have the size I needed.

~pd
It should be the same price as your regular paint, KRYLON should have some type. Look for "Crystal Clear Gloss" or the like, should be next to the colored paints and primers. Im guessing 1 can will be more than enough as well.

what case is that? at first i thought it was a raidmax scorpio 868, but then i noticed you dont have a window and the usb ports and front mic and headphone jacks arent in the same spot as the raidmax cases, so ya what case is it?

id like to do something to my front door, i dont really like the lights all that much, i might put in a hole so i can turn it on without having to open the door

Bboy_Jon said:
what case is that? at first i thought it was a raidmax scorpio 868, but then i noticed you dont have a window and the usb ports and front mic and headphone jacks arent in the same spot as the raidmax cases, so ya what case is it?

id like to do something to my front door, i dont really like the lights all that much, i might put in a hole so i can turn it on without having to open the door

Honestly, I can't figure out what kind it is. I think it's an older raidmax model. It has the same front bezel as the scorpio, but the window is in the shape of an x. (It does have a window, BTW, I'm working on the panel that's behind the mobo.

For today: Most of my work will have to be done on Sunday, I will not be home almost at ALL until then. So major updates Sunday and Monday.

~pd

Holy crap, I'm tired. Time for an update, though.

Alright, on Thursday or Friday night I drilled out the rivets holding the top panel of my case on. The results were a bit surprising. The top panel holds the 5.25 drivebays and the motherboard panel in place on the top side, as you'll be able to see in the pictures. Luckily, because of the pressure the top exerts when it's pushed into place, I can get away with holding it on with only four screws.

Today I'm planning to cut the crosspiece out of my windowed side panel and trying to get some more sanding done on the nonwindowed side panel. Fun fun.

Alright, pictures.

DSCF0672.jpg

Drilling out the rivets in my uberly awesome Wilson eye protection. :rolleyes:

DSCF0673.jpg

What the hole looks like, drilled out.

DSCF0676.jpg

You can see how the top panel held all this together.

DSCF0677.jpg

DSCF0681.jpg

It's especially obvious in these.

Alright, so that's that. I'll keep you posted. By the way, it was worth missing the chance to work on this yesterday; my band made second out of fifteen bands at state championships yesterday. rawk.

~pd

Cool progress, so what kind of music does your band play and what instument do you play? Does getting second give you more funds for modding? Anyway keep up the good work.

Hahaha, I mean like a marching band. I wish I got a monetary prize.

-On topic-
Alright, I've done some cutting on the windowed side panel and drilled out the planned holes for the side window. Now I need to buy some stuff. However, in the meantime, I've gotta pick up on the sanding, so I'm off.

-edit-
Okay, you know what? I'm about tired of working on this one specific panel. I think I'm going to put one more coat of paint on, sand it, and then clearcoat it and be done. I REALLY need to get going to the other parts of the case.

The top window plans are being worked on as we speak. (speak? Whatever.)

~pd

Last edited:
Hahaha. It rained today, so I wasn't able to do any painting. I've fixed some problems I had with the top of the case not wanting to screw in properly, and I began sanding the windowed panel. I decided that my side panel fan placement needed rethinking, so I redrew it, but it still wouldn't fit with the back exhaust fan, so I revised it again and now I think it'll work. It's gonna be freaking awesome. I'm working on the cutting plot for the top of the case, which I've decided will be a 120 mm hole over the CD-RW drive that tapers to an 80mm hole where a casefan will be.

Also, I'm ordering cathodes as soon as I get the money. I've at least figured that much out. I'm getting a dual blue 12" cathode and a single UV 12". These will be wired to separate rocker switches that will probably be mounted in the front bezel.

I need some input. What kind of fans should I get; LED or UV-sensitive?

Thanks. I wish I could put more pictures, but it's really a lot of repetitive work, and Photobucket sent me a warning email the other day saying that I was eating a lot of bandwidth. :D I'm flattered.

~pd

P.S. My room is a mess of modding stuff. Check it out...

Last edited:
Update:

Well, what can you do when disaster strikes?

I got an interim case to stick my components in while I'm working on the case itself. They've been out for a couple of days (I've been using my parents' crap computer.), and when I installed them in this interim case, lo and behold, the comp won't boot. It said ATAPI Incompatible, and after a bit of research, I found out that this most likely means that my motherboard is F-R-I-E-D.

Not cool at all.

Needless to say, I'm not too happy. However, I'll get by. I wanted a new motherboard anyways; this will be perfect to get a nice one I want. The money'll probably be a problem though; this means that I have to postpone all other modding efforts besides painting for awhile. 'Tis gay.

However, the mod must go on.

Last night, before I found that my computer had died, I finished a CD drive mod; the pretty CDs look lovely spinning. I'll post a picture up when I can.

I need to go out and finish sanding the edges of the case top down now, so that'll be it until the next update.

~pd

Sorry about the motherboard. :( You'll forget about that soon once you get a new one, at least that's how I felt when I got my x800 pro after my 9700 pro fried. GL! :D

On your fans with since your getting a UV light anyway you should save yourself about alittle money and get uv sensitive fans instead of led ones.

Can't wait to see your CD-rom mod.

If you need a cheap motherboard that is pretty good I would say it the Shuttle AN35N is a good inexpensive choice.

Keep up the great modding.

Update:

YES. My motherboard isn't really dead, as I previously thought. It was just being very finicky. Major note to self; never run computer out of a case again.

I now have pictures for you guys, and thanks to Olmi, pictures in and following this update will have real hosting.

I've put the primer on both the top panel and the windowed panel. However, I need to finish cutting on both before I finish the paint job. I just wanted to get a little bit done. The last cutting job will commence tomorrow, and I'm going to try to finish up the nonwindowed side panel.

Here are some nice lovely pics of the top window and CD drive window.

DSCF0697.JPG

Pretty ugly cut, but I finished filing it down today and it looks a lot cleaner and better.

DSCF0698.JPG

A more frontal view of the top window. Yes, that is Blue Man Group in there. A most awesome band.

DSCF0700.JPG

Here you can see more of the actual cut. I also sanded the top panel a bit to give it a shinier finish. The lettering looks really cool too.

As I said, I began work on the paint job of the top and window panels. I got a few progress shots of these as well.

DSCF0705.JPG

Working on the top panel. I don't have a picture of the finished panel, but the painting really cleaned up some of the edges. The only problem is that they still look a little wobbly. I'm going to see if I can find a small diameter rubber hose to fit around the edge to make it look straighter and also put some padding between the metal and the plexiglass.

Anyways; I'll probably update again Monday with the pictures I get tomorrow. It'll most likely include some more finished pictures of the top with the glass and fan installed. Any advice on what screws/bolts to use to hold in the plexiglass?

Anyhow, that's all for tonight. (I really need to look into starting to order stuff.)

~pd

Awesome job so far man. Just found this thread. I like the work that you've done so far. You can buy edge molding from many stores, and that helps on larger windows and such to hide the edges. I bought chrome trim from Autozone for just a few bucks, and it looks nice. Xoxide carries it too.

:D BTW, nice Wilson eye protection.

Quick "I forgot" Update

Alright, my dad works for an industrial lighting company. It's cool, because sometimes I can get cool stuff from his work. Anyways, today he brought home something he said I might want: two HUGE aluminum heatsinks!

DSCF0707.jpg

The smudges on there are fingerprints in the condensation; that's how cold they are.
DSCF0708.jpg

Now, I know I want to utilize these somehow; but I'm not sure how. Here are my ideas.

-Cut to size; hard drive heatsink
-Cut to size; PSU heatsink
-Cut to size; mount behind motherboard
-Some use in front of case? Side of case?

Any ideas? (I just know that they're really cold from sitting outside.)

~pd

Back