• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: OptPrime Rev. 2.00 "By the books" - Update 11.01.04

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
saturday modding day... yay

m1.JPG

Here is the mobo tray all wired up and mounted. I still have to sleeve the fan wires and mount the fans as well. But here you can see the ccfl mounted and the foam that i have to act as a blocker for the ccfl light. This will be visiable to the back mobo window... So this side of the case will be lit up blue and the foam will make sure that not much light will seap through to match the white ccfls on the other side.

m2.JPG

not too much to say here. the pic speaks for itself. really the effect is much cooler in person.

p1.JPG

here u can see that i sleeved the powersupply. Nothing different here. The atx connector is still sleeved black from the enermax factory... i was too lazy to change it.

My girlfriend does all the etching. So i wont put words in her mouth. I will let her work speak for itself. She still has to go back and darken it up to make sure the led's that are put in the side of the window light it up enuf... but i think it is looking nice.

e1.JPG

In the act...

e2.JPG

w/out lights and w/flash

e3.JPG

w/light and w/o flash

mmmmm starting too look yummy... :D

Simply WOW :thup: This idea maybe to late to use but it would be cool if you did an evolution chart for optimus. You know how it goes from ape to man well it could go from ape to 16 wheeler semi. And the other side panel could be Megatron from t-rex to... what ever he is now. I think a tank.

Looks awesome man your girlfriend does some nice work. You do some pretty steller work your self. You should be very proud of the work you have done. By the way how are you likeing you senn 555s? I got some hd650s and love them to death. Well "keep on rocking (in the free world"?) Can't wait to see it done.

Your girlfriend is freaking awesome.

Wish I had one that could do stuff like that. Mine only knows cooking, cleaning, and other essential household skills. Nothing important. :D

~pd

Thanks for all the great compliments guys. It is really keeping me going through this project... :D

Did a bunch of modding today. However this day had a small down and then a huge up. I was starting to fit the components in the case to prepare for the mobo and proc that is comming in, in the next few days.

So i go to put my vantec nexus fan controller in the 5.25 bay... And the blasted thing doesnt fit. I have no idea how this is but it is like 2mm too big. WTF. I was furious. But right then i had an moment of brilliance. What follows is became of my moment of greatness.

f3.JPG

You can see that i mounted the fan controller so the nobs and the blue led circles around them sit flush with the top of the case. It really came out perfect with the handle right there. The nobs match the finish of the case down to a T.

f1.JPG

Here you can see the mounting brackets that I had to make for this thing to be mounted in there like that. Preaty simple stuff.

f2.JPG

Here it is from the other side. Sorry about the blurry pix

begin.JPG

You can see that it wont be a problem that the fan controller takes up half of the top 5.25 inch bay cause i will have the matrix screen in there.

wirehole.JPG

I put this wire hole in too so that it would be easy to send wires down the the front part of the case without them looking all ghetto.

So the case is still chuggin along nicley. The fan controller thing took me like 4 hours today cause i really didnt want to screw up the holes. I'm glad I spent all that time on it. :D

I NEED SOME FEEDBACK ON THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
I really have no creative ideas for this fan grill area. I am down for making my own fan grill for it but i am not quite sure what pattern to make it. I am really thinking that a fan grill here is a good idea cause i bet this 120mm could take your finger off. What do you guys think?
question.JPG

uh golly gee man i dont know maybe ... some sort of TRANSFORMER GRILL ?!?!

i never really watched the show , might of played with a toy or two.

Those knobs are preety slick man.

How about another plexiglass etching (with holes for air) to go in front of it? Maybe an autobots logo or something?

Definatley do a Gen 1 logo for the grills . I think that would look so sweet . Maybe your gf or you could do them out of plexi .

did some more late night work... ill leave you with some pictures of where i am at right now in this project.

wire.JPG

Took this pick to give you an idea of where i am at with the wiring. Did a bunch of soldering today to make the cable runs nice and neat. did some more sleaving. Routed some wires under the mobo tray... really just normal stuff. You can see that i have the fans in place. This basically means that I am done working on the chassis of the case. Maybe a little here or there but no more dremeling. whew... didn't even mess it up once. HeHe

mess.JPG

hidden.JPG

If there is anything I have learned from my past projects it is that I am decent at wiring. But i am by no means a god. So i have to leave myself one spot in every project where i can stuff things and kinda make a mess. You can see where this is on this project. This is why i just have the mobo window and not two complete windows. Plus i like the artistic ness of it.

etch.JPG

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in love with this etching. I can't wait to get some LED's and light this baby up... It is going to be sooooo secsie!

top.JPG

I don't think I gave this enough attention before. This is a major triumph for me. Definatly consider the top of the case done. I really like what turned out here and i can't wait to see it with the fan controller all lit up.

Well that is it for today... There is still a bunch left to do here. I will be going rapid fire cause i want this done by thursday. If possible.
Here is the short list of To-Do's with this project before it will be considered done:
1) Have gf etch my handle in other window
2) install white cold cathodes
3) work on front mounted ccfl lighting switches
4) led light etchings
5) ducting system for vid card
6) finish and tint side window
7) Install remaining perifs and new motherboard/proc
8) Work on front part where 120mm is. (still not sure what i am going to do here, if ne thing)
9) Overclock this living **** out of this thing and then go on a gaming binge!!!!!!!!

Well i guess it isnt that short of a list but the big stuff is done. now it is all wrapping it up so that this case can be completed. Honestly I could continue this thing forever. But i am not some one who likes to leave projects unfinished. There is something to be said for profectionism... but there is also something to be said for knowing when something is simply good enough. So yes some things could be better if i spent a ton of time on them... like sleeving every wire in the case... but at this point what isnt sleeved will be hidden. So i am happy with the way this one has been turning out.

Stay tuned much much more to come.

Barrman said:
Looks awesome man your girlfriend does some nice work. You do some pretty steller work your self. You should be very proud of the work you have done. By the way how are you likeing you senn 555s? I got some hd650s and love them to death. Well "keep on rocking (in the free world"?) Can't wait to see it done.

I love my sinehieser's... I would not trade them for ne thing in the world... well possibly your headphones. but seriously those of you that swear by your 5.1 sound systems have obviously never used a pair of headphones of this quality along with a decent sound card. some times it is like you are using a wallhack or aimbot in games. you just turn and headshot immediatly... well at least that is what i find in source. :thup:

Back