• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Revision 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BomberBear
The 1/5 divider altough present isnt perfect in its implementation and some have reported corruption on their HDD when on IDE1 and 2. The promise controller seems to be a bit more tollerant than the VIA and you dont get the corruption.

Hood

GWN
Didnt think the English used it either, but then again I remember some Fishermen that come to our port for repairs, say it, and they are from the North of England. And bobg425 uses it in the US, so im wrong again. Anyway dont suppose we should be using up space with this, better get back to Gigabyte matters, Hows it going? still no corruption?
Hood

No corruption but that does bring me to another point. Since i have been running 166 fsb my North Bridge is damn hot! I mean real hot. I can't leave my finger on it for more than 2 seconds! Is yours running as hot? i might put a fan and heat sink on it just to be sure

GWN
You should have a heatsink on it already, but maybe you are meaning to get a HS and fan kit.
No mine doesnt get that hot, but I am using a Zalman Flower CPU HSF and it uses a 92mm fan mounted above the HS for the CPU. This also blows air over the N/B so that could be the reason.
Hood

Sorry i should have clarified. yes it has a small heat sink with no fan. I think the difference is that I water cool my CPU so I have no direct airflow over the sink. Ok time for a "wee" little fan on there I guess.

Thanks

GWN
Over here a "wee" is also what kids call p*ssing, hope its not that kind of watercooling you are using.
Hood

that is what I was refering to, Hood. Wee twice, I meant
wee wee...........P*ssing to you. Ha.

bobg

ok HOOD do I need to download the Full F11 from the link you gave me to use drives on the Promise chip? (ATA) Because when I use compman's modded bios it will just sit at the promise screen while it searches for drives but it gets stuck. I have a cd-rom hooked up to IDE3. Thanks
-Bomber

Edit: I just realized that it could be picky about whether it is a removable drive or not... I'll move hard drive over to promise and put my cd-rom on the first IDE? Note: I already have drivers installed inside of windows.

Edit: I have cd-rom on first IDE, cd-rw and zip on second IDE, and hard drive on Raid. It's all working good and I'm ready to go! I now have drives A, C, D, E, F...

Last edited:
BomberBear
Let us know how it goes.
Off to work soon, so hopefully you will have good news when I get back.
Hood

Hood, this FULL raid... I tried that link that you gave. But couldn't find the bios. And what does FULL raid do? How is it better than the lite? And.. After the bios flash, will it mess up the current drives? And, when I turn on the ATA, it searches for ATA133 drives... But I don't want that just simple ol' IDE channels. I am using raid but considering changing back to single drives... It just takes too long for it to detect the drives defeating the purpose of fast boot up :).

Punkmasterflick
I have never used the full RAID BIOS because I dont use RAID, so am not sure the exact options it gives. I do know that you can have 4 IDE devices on the promise and you can have RAID 0, 1 AND 0+1 setups with the full,(only 2 on lite and also either 1 or 0 not 1+0)
If you go here then click on Biology, then Gigabyte then VRXP then Full RAID Pro you will be able to download F11 or F7 full RAID. Have a look at the ReadMe also and this will tell you how to get the drivers.
Hood

I used the F12 bios update, don't see any difference,
Raid is a mystery to me, don't really see a need for it unless you are using a server.

bobg

bobg425
Cant see any difference with F12 myself, I am hoping that they have made it possible to boot properly if you have a 333FSB CPU, but have my doubts.
As far as RAID is concerned striping can speed up your drives and would be good for gamers I suppose, and if you have mirroring it is a good safety net. Like you though I dont really have a need for it, having the use of these channels for normal IDE is of more use to me.
Hood

it increases hard drive performance when moving large files. It would help when installing games and programs, along with Windows updates etc.

Hood,

I did not get the links to work for the full raid bios's or drivers. It looks like someone is setting up a htm file to list files in ftp which is not nessasary. All I get on a "save target as" is a .htm file.

(unless he has the files on another(s) server) Anyways I couldn't get them downloaded.

Anyone else get them ??

Back