• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tbred Voltage Mod via Mobo Socket Jumpers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can try either the stereo speaker wire or the telephone cable wire, but you might want to have both ready in case one turns out to be too big. The stereo speaker wire is generally 2 bundles of wire wrapped in plastic. Take one of the bundles and cut it open, and remove a single strand of wire from the bundle. Cut it about 1/4 inch long (you will need to verify the length when you install it). The jumper should look like this:

VID%20Pin%20Jumper%202.jpg

VID%20Pin%20Jumper.jpg

How many wires you need to install, and which holes in the socket you install them in, will depend on what your current default CPU voltage is and what you want to change it to.

That's odd. How are your temps looking? How are your voltages looking (3.3v, 5v, 12)? I assume you cannot boot at 10*166. You may want to create a new thread and see if anyone can help you get more out of your CPU (since not many people will see your questions posted here).

Very good...

After read this post I decide to register and make a reply...this is a very good idea, congrats! In this week I will recieve a 1700+Tbred-b HB, as you know, the default vcore is 1,6 v, and my mobo is in the class of "only 0,1 above" (kt3 ultra2 -R). The paint method sucks. So I decide to make this mod. First off, the hole of socket will become "black"? is it possible to make this mod just involving the pins of processor with thin wire?

Many thanks for your effort!:)

No, the hole of socket will not become black. The holes shown in the above picture were marked with an ink pen, so that the person adding the jumpers would not accidentally put the jumpers in the wrong holes.

Yes, you can do this mod just by wrapping the small wire around the pins that you want to connect. I myself have not tried the wire wrapping method, but I know that several people have.

No matter which method you try, make sure that your CPU is sitting flat in the socket after making this modification. You want to be sure that your heatsink is still making good contact with your CPU. I recommend that you boot into the BIOS once you have made this modification, and check your CPU temps.

Edward2 said:
No, the hole of socket will not become black. The holes shown in the above picture were marked with an ink pen, so that the person adding the jumpers would not accidentally put the jumpers in the wrong holes.

Yes, you can do this mod just by wrapping the small wire around the pins that you want to connect. I myself have not tried the wire wrapping method, but I know that several people have.

No matter which method you try, make sure that your CPU is sitting flat in the socket after making this modification. You want to be sure that your heatsink is still making good contact with your CPU. I recommend that you boot into the BIOS once you have made this modification, and check your CPU temps.
Thanks edward! :D
I´ll give a try when the tbred comes...I have other question: wich of pins I have to connect to have a 1.85 default vcore? for a cpu with 1.6 v...is it the v0, v2 and v4?
Wich method you recommend (for security reasons)?

No you do not connect v0, v2, and v4. When you connect the VID pins to VSS, you change a "1" to a "0" (as shown in the previous table in this thread). Therefore, you need to connect VID[1] to VSS and VID[3] to VSS to have a 1.85 default Vcore.

I cannot really recommend one method over the other, since I have never tried the pin wrapping technique. The pin wrapping seems difficult to me, but some people have done it and have not had any problems with it. I can only say that I have used the socket jumpers on 3 different CPU's, and I have never had a problem with them.

Edward2 said:

VID%20Pin%20Jumper.jpg

How many wires you need to install, and which holes in the socket you install them in, will depend on what your current default CPU voltage is and what you want to change it to.

Hi Edward2, sorry to have to bust your chops about this relatively easy mod again. I am just about to do this mod but when checking on this thread for any updates i see you have melted the socket (as in your pic) to allow the wires to sit properly.
I actually don't want to mod the sockets at all in case i need to RMA this new board. If i were to just fit the wires and then put the processor in, how can i achieve this while maintaining maximum CPU HSF contact. That's the only thing that really concerns me about this mod and thanks for sharing it wit us :D .

I dont think he melted any sockets. Atleast i didnt have to. I cut open some telephone wire than there were many copper strands inside. I just took one and made little pieces and placed them in. Then the processor on top. Then take out processor to see if it fine still. Then put processor back in and slide the arm thingy to lock the chip.

ssgohan434 said:
I dont think he melted any sockets. Atleast i didnt have to. I cut open some telephone wire than there were many copper strands inside. I just took one and made little pieces and placed them in. Then the processor on top. Then take out processor to see if it fine still. Then put processor back in and slide the arm thingy to lock the chip.

.............And your HS sits perfectly flat on the CPU? If it does, that's all i need to know thanks!

New2me said:
.............And your HS sits perfectly flat on the CPU? If it does, that's all i need to know thanks!

absolutely, the wires used must be extremely thin and the CPU still sits flat in the socket

Anyone try using the wire from an Ultra ATA66 cable? I assume this would work well, it worked perfectly for me when I did the wid pin mod mode on a coppermine cpu.

I think this is a much better alternative for volt modding the Tbreds than the other methods. This thread would make a good sticky, or at least the info should be added to the FAQ sticky.

Back