• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How I solved my stuck BOOT_DEVICE_LED on my ASUS Sabertooth Mark S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oxynutz

Registered
Here are my basic rough notes i took after i fixed the stuck POST. there are some redundancies. hopefully this can serve some purpose to someone someday.

overvolted 4790k to 1.8v @ x46 core multiplier
immediately boot into bios to reset to default voltage and clock after overvoltage/cpu high temp error msg
blue screen on win7 logo (possible cpu shutoff to preserve itself)
turn off ac power/disconnect/full power-drain

remove cmos battery/jump CLRTC pins 10 sec. replace battery and jumper to default.
board tries to post, gets stuck at Boot_Device_LED
peripherals being recognized, POST capable of reinitiation via ctrl+alt+del.

restart a few times, reseat gpu, cpu, RAM (different RAM configs made no difference in this recovery) disconnect/reconnect all power/drives.

clear CMOS RTC RAM again
now board getting stuck at DRAM_LED, self-restart loop begins, remove 2 sticks of ram forcing POST to acknolwedge memory swap, stuck at Boot_Device_LED again.

switched between individually connecting my three drives ssd,sshd,hdd (OS's installed on hdd and ssd) attempting to simplify boot options for board.

DRAM_LED again, add 2 sticks of RAM

Boot_Device_LED

power off, d/c all drives

power on, plug in ssd just before it reaches Boot_Device_LED.

Reinitiate, POST gets thru Boot_Device_LED!!!!

system boots into win7 thru integrated graphics HDMI port only.

1.8V? You are lucky that chip isnt dead!

Meant to do 1.18V, next time I'll wait for my first cup of coffee before I OC... It was only receiving that voltage for about 20 seconds, good thing the 4790k has great capacitors.

On a side note, it hit 95C. Now runs at 34C, no foreseeable damage done.

What caused the lockup in the first place? Was it the high 1.8 vcore or are you saying you set it that high as part of the fix for the lockup situation? What is the beginning of the problem?

1.8v to the cpu caused windows to blue screen during the windows logo. even after resetting the bios to default it still blue screened.

at this point i went in and reseated all my components (to no avail, still blue screening). then i reset the cmos, and THEN the system refused the post and got stuck on BOOT_DEVICE_LED.

Back