• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome (S.N.D.S.) Thread[Retired sticky]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My P4 1.8a now can only run stable at 100 MHz FSB and 1.5 bios Vcore.

It was running rock stable at 133 MHz FSB at 1.75 Vcore for almost 3 months then I step up to 139 MHz FSB at 1.85 Vcore, it was stable for about one week then blue screen.

Now only run at 100 MHz FSB

FPO/BATCH #:L209A353
Pack Date: 05/19/2002
Made in Malaysia

2.4 400 FSB on verge of dying

My 2.4 is O/Cd at 2.78, 116FSB :( with 1.70 Vcore. But on the occasional time i get BSOD :mad: . Cant even run 3dMark cause it kicks me out, what you guys suggest i get 2.4b or 1.8A I'm having a hard time choosing.

Thanx

Kam

Looks like my 2.0A died.

It was running at 2540 at 1.60v for 4 weeks flawlessly. One night while playing a game, the colors changed, and then I had a fatal except error. Clocked it down to 2500, ran fine for a few hours, then during a game another fatal except error occured. I restarted, Windows XP would not boot because of a fatal except error. Tried to reinstall XP, but it makes it through the installation about half way, and then says there is a fatal except error. :(

Luckily it's still under warranty. ;)

Indyxc

my costa rica 1.8a is now useless after 5 months

bought in may

it has been running at [email protected] about everyday since I bought it
now it cant run more than 10 minutes with prime95 without an error, even with 1.8v at 1800mhz :(
it started to happening for about 2 months ago...but I increased the vcore to 1.8 and it managed to run stable a few more weeks

getting a new chip..however this one will never get a higher vcore than 1.65...I dont want to destroy another chip :|

probably going for a 2.4b which I can probably up 150mhz fsb without increasing the vcore too much

what now?

What should we do with these burned up chips. I got the boxed one. Can we send them in where we bought them? If so how do you usually do that?

Doc Dave

What board were you guys using when your Northwood suddenly died?

Someone told me that high Vcore doesn't kill the CPU, but rather using a high Vcore on a motherboard that has unstable circuitry that kills the CPU. True?

My 1.6A worked great at ~2.6G 1.65V for a few months. Was working one day. Computer Bluescreened. Never re-booted again. Tried CPU in another board, No go :(

skip said:
My 1.6A worked great at ~2.6G 1.65V for a few months. Was working one day. Computer Bluescreened. Never re-booted again. Tried CPU in another board, No go :(

****. What kind of cooling and temperatures did you have?

Dsessom said:
I would say that is probably a more accurate statement, and I would have to agree since I killed 3 mobos and the CPU has survived.

My first BD7II went out after a few days as well, but I don't know if it's in connection with overclocking.

Csybe said:

****. What kind of cooling and temperatures did you have?

Thermaltake Volcano 7+ is a case with a bunch of fans. Never went above 40C

Skip, same here. 1.6A ran flawlessly on a BD7-II at 150fsb with +10% vcore. Then trying to load up the Doom3 demo started getting BSOD. After a few days of same thing it ceased to boot at all. Tried the chip in a Asus board and nothing. I reall y don't know what happened. Corsair XMS seems dead, too. And I have no other friends who run Intel so checking parts one at a time is not an option. My only thought is to replace m/b-cpu-ram-psu just to make sure it was not a power spike and see something new get zapped by a previous bad part. All I know is it SUX.

I don't have the CPU anymore, I built together a system for a friend. A 2GHz Northwood and clocked it to 2666 ..no problem

Anyway, later he said that he had to clock it down 'cause it wouldn't run @ 2666 anymore =/ guess it's the S.N.D.S

Now if it's because of the .13-process the new Celerons should have the same problem? =/

I had a 1.8a at 2484 using 1.55 BIOS vcore, 1.62 actual. It was new retail and had a pack date of September, 2002.

It was solid and stable for three weeks on a beefed-up case cooling but regular retail CPU cooling. I then started getting blue-screens on windows boot-up.

I then dropped it down to 2.22mhz (123 fsb) at default 1.5 vcore and the blue-screens stopped (couldn't even go to 125 fsb any more).

I don't want to try the vcore any higher and after what I just experienced I am going to leave it at 2.22.

This sucks!
:mad:

Maybe I'll just return this one and spring the extra $50 to get it back up to 2.4 and not overclock.

Funny thing happened

I have a 1.6a northwood 150fsb @ 1.85volts that I thought was doing exactly what these posters were experiencing, but something strange happened.

I kept getting BSODs so I started removing and turning off and replacing hardware. I pretty much had whole new system by the time I was done. After all the hardware swapping, I finaly went out and got an ASUA P4PE and a 2.4b C1 stepping CPU running at [email protected] volts @ 160fsb. After getting back up and running I put The old 1.6a northwood in the new board and cranked up the volts to 1.85 and the FSB to 160. It ran for hours of stress tests with no problems. It also ran fine at its rated speed at default voltage, which is something that it would not do in the other board

This CPU would top out on the other board(GA8IEXP) at 150FSB. So I am sending the board back to Giga-byte.

How many of you guys have tested your CPU in another board, or is this an isolated incident? Is The P4 taking the blame for fried controllers and other circuitry we are pushing to its limits. I also remember seing a post about capacitors leaking out onto the MOBO, quality boards like ASUS and ABIT were mentioned.

:burn:

Ive not tested my 'ill' cpu on another mobo...however my new 2.0a is stable
no more bsod

but overclocking it is hard...can boot at 2600mhz with 1.5v

but it refuse to boot at 2666mhz with even 1.7v

Back