• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This sound is driving me absolutely insane.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

I originally thought it was my WD Black, as seen in another topic, but if your HDD was making this sound I think all of those precious surely-below-PG-13 videos would be gone forever.

It wasn't the HDD. This sound is driving me insane. Oddly enough when I open the side door to my Cosmos II a little more than "cracked", about 2 inches open, the sound disappears completely. It sounds as if a loose screw is rattling around, but I'm not sure about that. The way the sound goes away when I open the door signals it can't be a fan. Or does it? I only hear this horrible rattling when the CPUs are at or near 100%. Which leads me to believe its a CPU cooler fan. I doubt any fan could make this noise. It's horrible... just listen

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/...-B510-FE2935CE13CE-56313-000002C67E1845BD.mp4

to that rattling sound, ignore the video. I can hear it over 12 fans.

What do you think it could be and what are your suggestions, short of ripping the whole computer apart because I really don't want to go through that stress again -_-

I guess I should consider myself lucky. No DOA/RMA parts. Overclock to 3.5GHz beautifully, first try.

But this sound... I would rather have had to RMA a part I knew was busted then go on a wild goose chase for this noisemaker :L

Thanks in advance,
21102 Brookfield Insane Asylum, NY, NY
Culbrelai.

I originally thought it was my WD Black, as seen in another topic, but if your HDD was making this sound I think all of those precious surely-below-PG-13 videos would be gone forever.

It wasn't the HDD. This sound is driving me insane. Oddly enough when I open the side door to my Cosmos II a little more than "cracked", about 2 inches open, the sound disappears completely. It sounds as if a loose screw is rattling around, but I'm not sure about that. The way the sound goes away when I open the door signals it can't be a fan. Or does it? I only hear this horrible rattling when the CPUs are at or near 100%. Which leads me to believe its a CPU cooler fan. I doubt any fan could make this noise. It's horrible... just listen

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/...-B510-FE2935CE13CE-56313-000002C67E1845BD.mp4

to that rattling sound, ignore the video. I can hear it over 12 fans.

What do you think it could be and what are your suggestions, short of ripping the whole computer apart because I really don't want to go through that stress again -_-

I guess I should consider myself lucky. No DOA/RMA parts. Overclock to 3.5GHz beautifully, first try.

But this sound... I would rather have had to RMA a part I knew was busted then go on a wild goose chase for this noisemaker :L

Thanks in advance,
21102 Brookfield Insane Asylum, NY, NY
Culbrelai.

Easiest way is to hold a straw to your ear and point it at various parts to figure out where it's coming from.

Tearing the PC down. That's not stress. PC at home is a hobby. A hobby is not stress, do it when you have time, or just leave the case side open 2 inches till you have time to deal with the hobby issue.

No I love comptuers and everything but putting it together was soo stressful worried if everything will work and everything and I dont wanna screw something up =P

Its working and I want it to stay working. Thanks Knufire though, I'll try that.

I had the same problem! Just got my Cosmos 2 on the 30th and noticed that rattling/ticking sound when I first started her up. Turns out, it's the swinging door in front of the lower HDD cages. (turn up the fan speed and it gets worse) The plastic molding in front of the right side fan is making intermittent contact as the fan vibrates.

You have two possible solutions:

1: Call Cooler Master and have them send you a new one. (may or may not be defective as there appears be an intermittent problem with the plastic they are using or the molding process)

2: Fix it yourself. I was able to correct the problem with a lighter by just heating it a little and pushing it out with my thumb. (Can post pictures if you need a visual)

Hope this helps!

Is it really?

That is so weird.

I just recently got 2 heavy duty MassCool fans to put on the door blowing toward the GPU and moved the fans that were there (some medium-speed Cougars I bought because they were cheap) to the HDD bay door (They were empty before I moved the Cougars there because I used the fans that were there from Cooler Master as 2nd fans on my two CM 212 EVO CPU coolers.)

and the 2 masscool fans that I put on the door don't work completely right (they make a high pitched whine while a fan of the exact same model placed on the Cosmos IIs roof blowing out is perfect and doesn't make that horrible sound) so they've been off and even when the circumstances are the same where I'd hear that weird sound, I don't hear it anymore.

I still would like to fix the noise problem I originally posted this topic for for when I fix/buy new door fans. Can you post a picture? I don't know what your talking about by the plastic molding, are you saying it doesn't stay closed and its banging against the HDD cages?

I can fix that with tape.

Post pictures if you can.

Thanks a ton, this was driving me nuts.

I originally thought it was my brand new WD 2TB Black dying -_-

lol

These plastic spokes are the problem, they bend inward slightly.

As you can see there is some scratching where the blades are making contact.

Just apply a little heat to the spokes one at a time and push the circle out a bit.

That did the trick for me, just enough clearance to spin RATTLE FREE!

Attachments

• IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    768.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    683.1 KB · Views: 115
lol I thought it was one of my older fans on the front and almost ripped out my cable management job, which I just finished after god knows how long...

By the way you mentioned
the 2 masscool fans that I put on the door don't work completely right (they make a high pitched whine while a fan of the exact same model placed on the Cosmos IIs roof blowing out is perfect and doesn't make that horrible sound

That may be due to the fan controllers power output it's max 1amp per channel. If the masscool's are over .5 or you have another with three of them going on the same channel. I can't recall which one has three channels but one of them does.

While on the subject I saw something on another site about the fan controller working by feeding the power in pulses (or something to that effect). Which causes some fans to make noise or the led's to flash on low power. You should do some research into it, could also be the problem there.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Hmm, I don't know if that was making my sound or not, I don't hear it anymore, since I didn't have fans in there when it was making the sound.

That is possible with the masscool fans though they're really thick and run really fast, I tried plugging them into the mobo and the same thing happened, im gonna try the PSU.

There is just no way that 2/3 fans I got were bad, I don't have bad luck, lol.

Which sound are you talking about? The 2 bad, bad, misbehaving MassCool fans where their brother is doing fine or the original problem in the OP?

If you're talking about the original post, ya, that's what I thought too since my SR-2 is huge and blocks all of the cable management holes I went kinda through the center of the midplate, I taped everything back away from the fans and it still made that sound.

If your talking about my more recent issue with the MassCools, no wire in a fan could make this screeching sound -_-

Honestly (at the original problem) it sounds like a screw is loose somewhere and is jiggling around from the (now 14) fans vibrating. Either that or its what Casual Gamer said.

BTW, do you like your Cosmos II? what do you think of it so far? I personally love it, amazing case and I keep thinking I'll never be able to replace it in future builds.

6D9E4966-0496-4B07-92C7-0F160EAE3D38-28463-000005F430981A3E_zps82cb9714.jpg

When I watched the video, the sound was identical to mine. Same case, same sound, same issue? If its not that swinging door, (which I like despite the slight problem). It seems to be the sound of a fan making contact with plastic somewhere in that galactic inspired black hole of a chassis.

BTW, do you like your Cosmos II? what do you think of it so far? I personally love it, amazing case and I keep thinking I'll never be able to replace it in future builds.

I was impressed the moment these two little guys came out of the back of the store. They were laughing, the box hanging between them, half as tall as them and about half the weight.

The case itself is perfect for me, and that's really what it's all about. I wanted something that would do work and play now, with lots of options to expand. I needed a lot of hard drive bays, as I have 5 now and getting 6 more. Tons of liquid cooling options when I upgrade my GPU. I'm thinking a top mounted 3x120 out and rear 120 in, should do CPU/GPU for a good OC that doesn't get too noisy. I don't think I am going to need a new case for a long time.

My home server/gaming rig: (Ignore the optical drive sata cables, they will be replaced when I get some longer black ones)

Cosmos 2| i7 920 | 9900NT | 12GB DDR3 | P6X58D-E | GTS 250 | 750W PSU | 3x 1TB 2x2TB HDD | BluRay & LS DVDRW DL

Attachments

• IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Back