• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG TOXIC CHROME (modded Corsair 250D)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Man, with all the major components in it really shows just how tiny this case really is. Good luck plumbing this little bugger. I don't think my hands would fit in most areas. LOL

Man, with all the major components in it really shows just how tiny this case really is. Good luck plumbing this little bugger. I don't think my hands would fit in most areas. LOL

Yea it's pretty small, love how everything fits. I figured out how I'm gonna do all the piping, but now I'm figuring out if I wanna go with chromed copper pipes or acrylic. If I chose the chrome pipes I need to get all the tools in order to do it and also find a place that can chrome plate them, hopefully not for too much $ :)

wow super tight fit!!!

Hope you have small hands on hand :p

Hahaha thanks, the trick is to do it in stages. I will have to take out the front rad and do everything and then add that at the end :)

YV2iYvL.jpg

Hey guys,

Here's the package that came from Bill over at MNPCTECH. Thanks a lot for the support, I really appreciate it and I hope you guys like the build once it's finished. I'm sure the modding supplies will come in handy for a lot of future builds to come.

For a lot more awesome stuff check out MNPCTECH on Facebook , YouTube and their mod store mnpctech.com

And while you're on Facebook check out my page too, Simple Modz.

1wwdYqO.jpg

3M Red Scotchbrite Scuff Pads

0mQnsSl.jpg

Mnpctech PC Case Mod Ruler & Reference Tool

O1UAMEX.jpg

c3kyxIw.jpg

This was an extra item included, I will surely put it to good use, cheers Bill!

VQrsFTm.jpg

nMhna3J.jpg

PC Case Panel Modding Nibbler Tool

22owogB.jpg

rdreUoJ.jpg

fuaUa2b.jpg

Reinforced Dremel cutting wheels

WzTfvaf.jpg

Vandal PC Push Button Switch Blue anodized

PtTGWYk.jpg

iO6ymah.jpg

Nickel Plated Vandal PC Push Button Switch

OVSVJvQ.jpg

And finally, the awesome Mod Zoo case badge. I have a special spot for this on the back of the case!

BC0llXo.jpg

The quality of everything received is just excellent and I can truly see the effort put into all these items, thanks a lot for the support guys!

Cheers,

Alex

YV2iYvL.jpg

Okay guys, here it is! The case is nearly done, just need to get the acrylic windows on get the front panel Corsair piece on after cutting.

Maybe some of you have been waiting to see this since I announce the chrome painting. I hope you guys won't be disappointed as it this is not chrome but still looks very very good and I really like it. Like I explained, actual chrome paint or chrome plating would have been too expensive for my budged.

The panels are spot on and any imperfections you may see are all reflections from the surroundings. Though to bring the case outside to really showcase the paint job.

The front panel and also the rear case feet have been colour matched to the blue powder coat!

f7NVpGk.jpg

You can also see I made an acrylic piece and mounted it on the inside to cover the 5.25" bay. Drilled a small hole in the middle for the power button cable.

qULYcx9.jpg

mZS3Okd.jpg

Dust filter

EUZpgLj.jpg

And the front panel cover, might need some cleaning up around the edges but really happy with the glossy look

BQin54d.jpg

Here is a good look at the side panel paint job

xGmzz5b.jpg

tSsSXLk.jpg

5tPQ8do.jpg

12VsItQ.jpg

e1qUo9p.jpg

Will end up using the Blue vandal switch, fits better than the nickel plated one. Lucky Bill sent me this one too!

nOoij9n.jpg

fgCTwDd.jpg

And this is the front panel cover, the Corsair shape will be cut out and then painted same as the side panels. This will be stuck over the original front panel cover and still be able to use the clip on feature and access the dust filter behind it.

mVNlvq3.jpg

Let me know what you guys think! Shady here seems to approve!

gvqylGC.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers,

Alex

It's perfect :)
Reminds me and looks like the special finish on the more expensive German machines we have at my work :thup:

Yeah they do look good together, you got nothing to be disappointed about, I agree with Shady!

YV2iYvL.jpg

Hey guys,

Small update on the build and a very special announcement!

Firstly the announcement!

I'm very proud to say that the TOXIC CHROME build has been nominated in the Bit-Tech Mod of the Month for May 2015. You can find the voting link here if you want to show some love for my build!

Such an honor to have been nominated!

And now on to the build! I have the windows on, 3mm thick clear acrylic. Hope you guys like!

UkDb885.jpg

gTlGgVm.jpg

nJfpcWs.jpg

W0Q2fNO.jpg

bJyeWZi.jpg

wViPQfl.jpg

3c1ShXd.jpg

aNDuFNR.jpg

RgCdMSE.jpg

Think the windows look very good on the outside, something different! What do you guys think?

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers,

Alex

Yes. The windows on the outside look great!
The angled corners look good.

Wonder if there's a way to light the sides for the plexi?
Kinda like glass, the other end will glow brightly?

Yes. The windows on the outside look great!
The angled corners look good.

Wonder if there's a way to light the sides for the plexi?
Kinda like glass, the other end will glow brightly?

Thanks a lot mate. Yea, I'm not sure, will have to see how they look once the lighting is inside the case :)

YV2iYvL.jpg

Hey guys,

Here's the work I did on the front panel mod.

The piece is 1.2mm aluminum and what I used for the cutting is a Dremel Moto-Saw as you can see from the pictures. It's like a mini portable scroll saw, very handy and really good for the price.

fckAQDC.jpg

ixIcT5X.jpg

I drilled small holes in the panel first so that I can begin the cutting with the scroll saw.

LStjh0g.jpg

Bit of a learning curve with this but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. And it cut through this aluminum panel with no effort at all.

h6sskZI.jpg

As you can see, the vinyl is my guide.

nem2zBy.jpg

Here all the cutting was done and it was time for the filing to make it nice, smooth and even

sylBhzq.jpg

AMCt3In.jpg

I cut the corners same shape as the windows, gave it a scuff everywhere and it was done.

GiiocWB.jpg

The whole thing took me about 3 hours to do. Now to get it sprayed!

KNz3meE.jpg

I think it came out looking awesome and was surprised how easy it was to cut it once I got the hang of the scroll saw.

The Dremel Moto-Saw will definitely come in handy from now on, I wonder how it will do on some steel or thicker panels.

Let me know what you guys think?

Cheers,

Alex

Wow that turned out great!

Moto-saw eh? I'm going to see if I can find one of those up here. Dremel tools are awesome lol :thup:

Very nice Alex. Just this week I picked up a 16" dremel scroll saw (big SOB) for the same purpose. Looks awesome! How were the edges of the holes, sharp? That's really my only concern

Wow that turned out great!

Moto-saw eh? I'm going to see if I can find one of those up here. Dremel tools are awesome lol :thup:

Thanks a lot! Yea I love Dremel Power Tools :D

Very nice Alex. Just this week I picked up a 16" dremel scroll saw (big SOB) for the same purpose. Looks awesome! How were the edges of the holes, sharp? That's really my only concern

Thanks mate :D Yea the edges we're pretty sharp after cutting. But once I filled it and then ran over it with some sand paper it was nice and smooth :)

YV2iYvL.jpg

Hey guys!

After a lot of exiting news from E3 as well as AMD and watching a bunch of press conferences over the past few days, it's time to get back to work on the build!

Those of you who know me and also my Vault Boy case mod can absolutely guarantee that I jumped on the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy Edition straight after the Bethesda press conference! There are also a lot of ideas spinning around in my head about another Fallout case mod, a different one this time with a more post-apocalyptic look! If and when I decide to do that you will all surely find out :D

Back to the build!

Here is all the vinyl work I did for some of the components with some chrome vinyl!

DC4OX2N.jpg

7mUbEnk.jpg

PQmnSdy.jpg

KO5K3qO.jpg

4Kx0HUa.jpg

CFSHqvN.jpg

iH7S87d.jpg

p4gCUi0.jpg

iuar9IQ.jpg

31TLd0Y.jpg

nJI21FU.jpg

YmE6fi8.jpg

You can see the SSD has been painted black. Also the fans cables have been shortened, crimped and re-sleeved, only some that needed it. I chose the toxic symbol for them, think it suits the build and also just a circle on the back to cover the fan housing.

Let me know what you guys think.

And guys the Mod of the Month voting is still going on Bit-Tech until the 28th of June and the race is really close! Have a look and cast a vote if you haven't done so already.

Cheers,

Alex

Wow, I'm not sure how I missed this build, I'm definatly looking forward to seeing how you get this thing plumbed up. Keep it up.

Damn the colour scheme here is awesome :thup: :drool:

SSD looks great, good things come in small cases :D

I forgot to add, that is such a nice Dremel tool from the looks of it, I need one of those for some mods I am planning on the system I have, so nice and small compact, I was looking at getting a full table setup until I saw that thing. Thanks for adding that bit.

Back