• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updated Abit BD7-Raid and TH7II-Raid Bios. Get them here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Any chance of adding some more options to the memory voltage... 2.7V is a bit poor, my old KG7 have upto 3.0V... either that or a 4:3 CPU:MEM ratio would be nice :)

Thanks Mr N.

HeX.

HeXaDeCiMaL said:
Any chance of adding some more options to the memory voltage... 2.7V is a bit poor, my old KG7 have upto 3.0V... either that or a 4:3 CPU:MEM ratio would be nice :)

Thanks Mr N.

HeX.

I would say the use of higher coltages would help but really in the long run they don't Maybe upto around 1.9v but I've found that above that really doesn't help much at all and the heat generated with voltages that high on a Woody really isn't good. thereis also reports showing that micro damage to tracings in the P4 core show cross mibration damage due to use of voltages at 2v and higher and slight damage from around 1.925 to 2v but for sure damage occurs at 2v. This is seen even when using extreme cooling. The use of the CPU is not fully impaired but abilities for normal useage is shortened and error level does increase thus lowering performance level of the cpu.

So I don't bother with going above 1.85 because it's a good safe setting where no damage is reported plus it's also max recommended from Intel Whites. If you are advanced enought to need or want to use higher voltage then use of the VID wrap or the PIN 7 HIP6301 -> 50K POT is there for you to use.

As for the CPU mem. If you're talking about the BD7 it has that setting to allow the memory to run at a higher speed than the FSB.

Jirnsum said:
I believe HeXaDeCiMaL was talking about Memory Voltages Mr. Natural ;)

Oooops. My bad. Not enough coffee yet this morning. :D

As for Mem voltage. Why use anymore that that anyway. I can possibly stick a 2.8 in but it won't really make that much of a difference in clocking abitity. Hell. I've seen ppl hitting 200mhz with just 2.5-2.6v so why would you need 3.0v.

As for the ratio, I mean that if the CPU is @ 133FSB the mem is @ 100Mhz therefore alowing higher overclocks of the CPU without being limited by the memory :)

HeXaDeCiMaL said:
As for the ratio, I mean that if the CPU is @ 133FSB the mem is @ 100Mhz therefore alowing higher overclocks of the CPU without being limited by the memory :)

Oh. Uh why would you want that? Remember the main purpose for optimal performance is to cut down on bottle necks and by placing a 4:3 ratio this then puts your mem in the bottle neck position as compared to you CPUs FSB. Remember these are P4 boards so even tho the base FSB is at say 150mhz the CPU FSB is at 600mhz (Quad Pumped). So by having the ability to move the memory bandwidth closer to the CPU FSB speed you allow for better efficency. By implementing what you are wanting it would be moving the memory bandwidth AWAY from the CPU FSB bandwidth so in turn the CPU FSb would be starved for data from the memory thus lowering efficency and system performance.

As for the 2.8v. You won't really see any benefit from it. I had already implemented it and saw no more benefit from it that that of 2.7 so I removed it due to lack of need.

Fair enuf about the ratios, keep forgetting i'm on a P4 now and not a T-Bird ;)

As for the 2.8V for memory, please implement it in the next one ;) I know u may not see the need but when using my memory in other systems to get it stable @ higher than 150FSB I needed over 2.7V. At 166Mhz I needed 2.85V for it to be rock solid, anything lower wouldn't work.

I know that I am memory limited at this time, as I have had my 1.6A booting @ 2.40Ghz (150Fsb) but it won't reach windows, even with 1.85V running through the CPU, so it MUST be mem voltage that is required, as it's the same problem that happened on my T-Bird rig when the memory was under powered... Thanks for listening to my demands Mr. N. ;) j/k

And keep up the good work :)

HeX

HeXaDeCiMaL said:
Fair enuf about the ratios, keep forgetting i'm on a P4 now and not a T-Bird ;)

As for the 2.8V for memory, please implement it in the next one ;) I know u may not see the need but when using my memory in other systems to get it stable @ higher than 150FSB I needed over 2.7V. At 166Mhz I needed 2.85V for it to be rock solid, anything lower wouldn't work.

that's not so much a problem with the memory needing more voltage as it is the chipset needing a better driving signal from the memory. Intel chipsets have always been good about handling data from the memory at lower driving strengths.

Just a thought, but do u think the fact that I am using ECC memory could effect the overclocking ability on this board???

Didn't effect it on the KG7, but as u say this is an INTEL chipset and therefore completely differnent...

I will get 2.4Ghz ;)

HeX

HeXaDeCiMaL said:
Just a thought, but do u think the fact that I am using ECC memory could effect the overclocking ability on this board???

Didn't effect it on the KG7, but as u say this is an INTEL chipset and therefore completely differnent...

I will get 2.4Ghz ;)

HeX

ECC will cause a slight performance hit if you have it enabled. If I remember correctly tho I have it disabled by default in the bios so it should have no real afect on it. Sandra will still see it as ECC only because it reads it from the SPD.

more voltage

I am using your bd7_h2 bios and it rox!

Cold boot problem is not as bad now !! wahoo.!
my memory only goes 175fsb 2-2-2- 5
I am running 2.7 1.85v 150 fsb memory 1:1 or 300ddr

One thing i would like to see is a 3.4,3.5 option on the i/o
and a 2.8 option for the memory.Any ways running the memory at 10 mhz steps , other than 3;4 . or in 5 mhz steps.
eg.-

1.8a x 140 fsb cpu = 2.6

memory

140 /280ddr
150/300ddr
160/340ddr
170/360ddr
180/380ddr
200/400ddr

Randy
12500 3dmarks

new beta abit bios , what a joke.

the new beta from abit for the bd7 suxors so bad.
they only add up to 1.7v for the cpu..
wont let me run my ram at 2.5,6,222 at 177fsb
it will change it back to 3333333 crapp and beep.

went back to mr natural's, h2 bios ..
2.7 250 fsb ram at 150 /300ddr

Randy

Re: new beta abit bios , what a joke.

rancid said:
the new beta from abit for the bd7 suxors so bad.
they only add up to 1.7v for the cpu..
wont let me run my ram at 2.5,6,222 at 177fsb
it will change it back to 3333333 crapp and beep.

went back to mr natural's, h2 bios ..
2.7 250 fsb ram at 150 /300ddr

Randy

What is the latest beta from Abit anyway? Anyway you can shoot me a copy?

Hi MrNatural,

Did you somehow adjust the RAM timings in the 39C bios to be more conservative as compared to the 38 bios? I am getting consistently lower RAM bandwidth benches in Sisoft 2002 as well as lower performance in SuperPi.

Nice job on the BD7 bios dude. It rocks!!! Now all I need is a way to get 2.87-2.9v out of the memory so I can get my Samsung Ram up to 400MHz with 2 sticks. Either one runs fine at 400 but when they are both in I just max out in the 190's region. I know a little more voltage will get me there.

Back