• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 2600X CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Shawn, what vcore do you estimate is necessary to get a 2600x/2700x stable on air at 4.0ghz for all cores ?
Setting 1.3V in BIOS for the 2700X and 1.32V for the 2600X was stable enough for 30 minutes + of AIDA stability, Aida FPU only and P95 small FFT. No time for full stability testing. Keep in mind that under load it was dropping to 1.26 ish as LLC was on auto at the time. Ryzen still has a fair amount of V_Droop

Had ten minutes last night and did a bit of tweaking not much mind you. I also ran the single core test

4.55 cb15 2095  192.JPG

Last edited:
I'm guessing the latency issue is hurting FPU scores.

I also note you used a top end MSI motherboard that has a price tag of $255 on NewEgg. I wonder if that helps or is of little consequence in overclocking results? I mean you said in your review that you were drawing well over 200 watts in some of those tests with the 2700X running at 4ghz. What's the power phase rating on that board?

Last edited:
For ambient overclocking, I'd imagine the motherboard will not play much of a role.

The only tests pulling 200W were stress tests (though I don't expect things like Cinebench to be far behid). That is also total system power at the wall. I'd imagine these to be around 125W-145W or so for the CPU itself after taking into account PSU efficiency (so 180W system draw). There are applications which tell you how much the CPU is getting as well... I think Hwinfo does and so does Coretemp.

Okay, I didn't realize Shawn's watt numbers were total system at the wall rather than differential. That helps. Thanks.

Yep full system trents.
Power Consumption and Temperatures
In the graph below we tested power use of the system across multiple situations from idle, to Prime 95 Small FFT (with FMA3/AVX). The 2700K and 2600K systems, both pulled the most power during the Prime 95 small FFT test with 225 W and 185 W respectively. Keep in mind this is full system power usage.

To be fair the 2700X has twice the threads

Yeah, but my 6700k is running a solid 4700 MHz, and it's barely ahead in single core. The Cinebench R15 scores are telling me the 2700x is an 8 core Skylake. That's some serious hardware at a ridiculous price. I have a couple examples of AMD's FX efforts in working rigs in my living room, so I have a pretty fresh picture of the enormous leaps Team Red has made in a year. Just, damn.

Been messing with memory this morning and guess what, got it up to 4000 MHz Cl14 this gort me a bit excited ha ha

4000 aida.JPG

cb11 4.55 4000 22.81.JPG

cb15 4.55 4000 2101.JPG

Soooooo, it would appear AMD has addressed the "weak memory controller" issue. :eek: DDR4 4000 at C14??? You're tearin' it up with that chip, Johan. :thup:

@ Shawn

Do you expect this to filter down to the X370 CHVI boards and the "slower DDR4-3200". Being able to get the full speed out of my memory when OCed would be a nice + :)

Would you recommend a upgrade in 3 to 4 months. This gives me time to do a complete system upgrade - CPU, MOBO, and MEM :thup:

Thank You for the review :comp:

Must be nice being able to get the latest and greatest every time a new line comes out. Not that rich couldn't get mine for 10 years! My luck sucks.

Must be nice being able to get the latest and greatest every time a new line comes out. Not that rich couldn't get mine for 10 years! My luck sucks.

With that attitude it isn't going to turn around anytime soon. I've paid my dues that's why I do what I do.

With that attitude it isn't going to turn around anytime soon. I've paid my dues that's why I do what I do.

I fail to see any attitude here, It is the truth. I am not a tester do not get paid nor do they send me there top of the line stuff to test and keep Nor could I even begin to afford the latest and greatest. I imagine you get to keep it what they want you all to send them back?! LOL. And yeah it would be nice to get to have the best once in life not always being the one that is 6 years behind ! Jesus! ( That is Attitude) LOL.

I mean for the LOVE OF GOD MAN I HAVE TO GAME ON A GODDAMN HD5870 that thing is fing 10 years OLD! MAYBE MORE!!! I bet you DON'T!

Is it possible to run the 2600x in the x370 board as a review. I know it's on your time and money. This would show what the new IMC would bring to the older mobo and other things.
I know I would like to get one of the new CPU's without having to buy a new mobo.

Info from someone that bought a 4 or 6 core cpu. Did it have more headroom for OCing than the 8 core cpu????

Some folks would cry if they even knew my monthly income, let alone tried to live on it.
My income is $0 per month. if you really want to know. No Job since 2008 thank god I packed enough away to retire or I would be homeless and destitute. I have a fixed income and have such a hard time saving up for just a POS CPU and MB. I am always years behind.

Back