• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 2600X CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Don't want to derail the thread, but I'm confused:
Anyway, I hope you can change your situation some day.

You don't always have to have the brand NEW stuff. We have a used section that has several parts at a cheap price.
We are here to help, advise and sometimes correct your knowledge. We have all been were you are at. For some of us, things turned around and others it did not. We have the knowledge to help you get the most out of whatever system you have.
Whether it be an AMD : Socket A, 462, 940, 939, AM2, AM2+, Ect..Ect.. OR AN Intel : Slot 1, Socket 478, 423, 775, 1156, 1155, Ect..Ect..
We even have members that know the ins and outs of AMD/Intel Server Motherboards :thup:

If this is too much for you. You can always try Warp9 Systems. Mr Scott is also an expert on the same systems :)
I will warn you NOW : NO site will take whining.
We are here to help....NOT baby sit.

Thank You

@ Shawn

Do you expect this to filter down to the X370 CHVI boards and the "slower DDR4-3200". Being able to get the full speed out of my memory when OCed would be a nice + :)

Would you recommend a upgrade in 3 to 4 months. This gives me time to do a complete system upgrade - CPU, MOBO, and MEM :thup:

Thank You for the review :comp:

Is it possible to run the 2600x in the x370 board as a review. I know it's on your time and money. This would show what the new IMC would bring to the older mobo and other things.
I know I would like to get one of the new CPU's without having to buy a new mobo.

Info from someone that bought a 4 or 6 core cpu. Did it have more headroom for OCing than the 8 core cpu????

I doubt an update of motherboard is necessary M_M and no I really don't have time at present to even test the CPU in the CHVI getting caught up around the house and will likely have something else to work on in the near future. When I find time I'll test it out just don't hold your breath. There are many already running the 2700X in X370 boards it works fine and the improved IMC works the same from what I can see in the older boards

You don't always have to have the brand NEW stuff. We have a used section that has several parts at a cheap price.
We are here to help, advise and sometimes correct your knowledge. We have all been were you are at. For some of us, things turned around and others it did not. We have the knowledge to help you get the most out of whatever system you have.
Whether it be an AMD : Socket A, 462, 940, 939, AM2, AM2+, Ect..Ect.. OR AN Intel : Slot 1, Socket 478, 423, 775, 1156, 1155, Ect..Ect..
We even have members that know the ins and outs of AMD/Intel Server Motherboards :thup:

If this is too much for you. You can always try Warp9 Systems. Mr Scott is also an expert on the same systems :)
I will warn you NOW : NO site will take whining.
We are here to help....NOT baby sit.

Thank You

I'll assume you didn't notice you quoted the wrong guy. LOL

Just did a quick scan of available mobos for a possible build, and I also looked again at the CPUs. I found it interesting the 2600X and 2700X were now out of stock at the places I looked at, but the 2600 and 2700 were still available. I did see one seller on Amazon UK which had them, but they were asking above the going rate. We might not know, if either the X models are more popular, or if there may simply be fewer of them offered for sale.

Learning from the 1st gen, I'm almost certainly going for a 2700X for those last few MHz at the top end. Benching is something I will want to do with it at some point, and the saving from going 2700 isn't significant. I recall the gap between 1700 and 1800X was much bigger at their launch, so the 1700 was far more attractive at the time. The regular price for 2700X is less than the 1700 at launch.

Just did a quick scan of available mobos for a possible build, and I also looked again at the CPUs. I found it interesting the 2600X and 2700X were now out of stock at the places I looked at, but the 2600 and 2700 were still available. I did see one seller on Amazon UK which had them, but they were asking above the going rate. We might not know, if either the X models are more popular, or if there may simply be fewer of them offered for sale.

Learning from the 1st gen, I'm almost certainly going for a 2700X for those last few MHz at the top end. Benching is something I will want to do with it at some point, and the saving from going 2700 isn't significant. I recall the gap between 1700 and 1800X was much bigger at their launch, so the 1700 was far more attractive at the time. The regular price for 2700X is less than the 1700 at launch.

I was kind of surprised at how closely the "X" "non-X" are priced this time

looking forward to 8700k vs 2700x at typical air oc benchmarks. maybe 2700x @ 4100mhz vs 8700k @ 4.9ghz in gaming/encoding/7zip etc.

it seems like 2700x is mopping the floor with the 8700k. what's going on here?

The Anandtech article Shawn cites has an excellent summary:

In our benchmarks, we compared the new AMD chips to the more recent Intel chips, but with the Spectre and Meltdown patches applied. It is clear that the patches have had an effect on some of our Intel scores more than the AMD results: combine that with AMD’s generational improvements and for a lot of tests, especially gaming, there is either a neck-and-neck result or AMD pulls a lead in multi-threaded scenarios. For anything that is hard on a single-threaded, such as our FCAT test or Cinebench 1T, Intel wins hands down, and winning the 1T tests is no easy feat, however overall AMD is pushing that performance-per-watt metric ever closer, and offering a competitive product for users that multitask.

What I found most interesting is what they said about the differential effect of Spectre and Meltdown on the two companie's product line.

What I liked about the article was :

What we can say is that the X470 isn't directly replacing X370; AMD has stated to us that they expect X370 and X470 to be sold alongside each other.

Johan45 Was able to hit 4.5 with Chilled Water using the 2700X.
I can hit 4.6 - 4.65 with Dice on the 1800X and I got it when it was first released.
I later bought the Asus CHVI Motherboard for it in Nov.

MaddMutt I have a AMD 7 2700x om the way to put in my X370 Taichi ( Chilled water ). will let you know.

One of the videos I posted on another thread shows that the x370 is faster (with the same 2700x) then the x470 by a fairly large margin in minimum FPS and overall on average/maximum FPS in the games tested, would you chalk it up to bios maturity at this point and move to x470 regardless or play safe and stay with x370 ? For either new build or upgrade, what exactly do we gain with the new motherboards, is there enough of a reason to upgrade for a gamer ?

One of the videos I posted on another thread shows that the x370 is faster (with the same 2700x) then the x470 by a fairly large margin in minimum FPS and overall on average/maximum FPS in the games tested, would you chalk it up to bios maturity at this point and move to x470 regardless or play safe and stay with x370 ? For either new build or upgrade, what exactly do we gain with the new motherboards, is there enough of a reason to upgrade for a gamer ?

^ The MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC that was sent to reviewers is listed as supporting DDR4-3600. Johan45 did not mention that he had any problems OCing the memory on his review boards. So this my just be a PR sell by MSI. I will wait for better clarification on this.
From Anandtech's article, it looked like the vast majority had ($200.00+) extras that where not needed.

^The Asrock X370 has a 12+4 phase VRM and it looks like the X470 is following the same. The Asus CHVI has a 8+4, not sure if the CHVII will be the same. Will this make a difference???

AMD 2700X @ 6.0GHz with LN2
https://hothardware.com/news/der8auer-amd-ryzen-7-2700x-6ghz-ln2-asus-rog-crosshair-vii-hero

I don't think that power design really matters on ambient temps. On LN2 maybe some more but also even 8 phases are enough to run CPU at ~300W+. Memory runs really good on many motherboards with the latest AGESA regardless if it's Samsung, Micron or Hynix IC. However, recently I'm testing mainly ASRock so I won't tell you how exactly it looks like on AMD MSI/Gigabyte boards. ASUS has some good results and I've seen that MSI runs without issues at 3600+.

I had no issues to reach 3733-3866 on ASRock X370 Gaming ITX and ASRock X399M Taichi ( quad channel ) and I had only 1700X/1920X/2200G processors for tests. I was able to set stable 3600 on Micron/Hynix/Samsung and max up to 3866.

I'm not sure if Shawn's result at 4000 C14 was because of better IMC in 2k Ryzens or new BIOS/motherboard. I simply can't boot at 4000 on my rigs.
Somehow I doubt it's because of new chipset as there are barely any changes and all I can see affects only CPU clock at auto/stock settings, not manual settings.
I guess we will see more tests from Shawn in some time :)

For last days I'm testing 1920X+ASRock X399M Taichi and somehow I don't feel it was bad purchase even though I got it couple of days before new Ryzens premiere. CPU overclocks better than my last 1700X by about 100-150MHz at the same voltage and I can keep it at 4.1GHz on 12 cores using air cooling + memory runs in quad channel @3733 stable and 3866 max for tests.

^ The MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC that was sent to reviewers is listed as supporting DDR4-3600. Johan45 did not mention that he had any problems OCing the memory on his review boards. So this my just be a PR sell by MSI. I will wait for better clarification on this.
From Anandtech's article, it looked like the vast majority had ($200.00+) extras that where not needed.

^The Asrock X370 has a 12+4 phase VRM and it looks like the X470 is following the same. The Asus CHVI has a 8+4, not sure if the CHVII will be the same. Will this make a difference???

AMD 2700X @ 6.0GHz with LN2
https://hothardware.com/news/der8auer-amd-ryzen-7-2700x-6ghz-ln2-asus-rog-crosshair-vii-hero

I think BIOS still plays a big part, so far I have seen 2 instances on ASUS and MSI where the 2700X wasn not running right on X370 boards. Both had updated BIOS but the CPU was hitting thermal shutdow within seconds of stress testing. Don't think it's the CPU either and I'm not saying that X370 is bad either. Since the launch of Ryzen a year ago, some odd behavior in a few ranom systems has been a common theme. Can't explain why on the same board/BIOS and CPU the setup behaves completely different to the point it can't function.
As for memory, I had 3600 fairly stable last night but tried tightening it too much and system locked up, no boot. Will have to clear CMOS and start over tonight, maybe. With the change in weather I have a ton of work outside for a few days so test results might be slow coming.

BIOS is constant problem on some boards, especially just before/after premiere of new chips. Even though AGESA is the same then most vendors have not enough time to tune up all options and sometimes it doesn't work as we wish. The same was after Ryzen premiere, later after APU and now after 2k series chips premiere. I guess that in 3-4 weeks all will be stabilized.

What I found most interesting is what they said about the differential effect of Spectre and Meltdown on the two companie's product line.

Meltdown impact to Ryzen should be zero, given it wasn't vulnerable, unless there is collateral damage from Intel fixes that don't consider Ryzen separately. Sepctre is going to be more interesting going forwards. Many but far from all Intel systems have the bios updates with the "fixed" Spectre update now (early ones had potential stability problems). Ryzen Spectre updates have been promised but I don't know if they are in the wild yet, so we haven't seen what potential impact there may be on Ryzen yet.

Even on Intel side, it was interesting that while some tasks took an impact from Spectre/Meltdown updates, there were odd cases where there were minor improvements in performance. Whatever changed may affect different things in different ways. We might or might not see similar on AMD side.

BIOS is constant problem on some boards, especially just before/after premiere of new chips. Even though AGESA is the same then most vendors have not enough time to tune up all options and sometimes it doesn't work as we wish. The same was after Ryzen premiere, later after APU and now after 2k series chips premiere. I guess that in 3-4 weeks all will be stabilized.

Do you see any benefit in upgrading from G.Skill Trident Z - 3200 CL 14 to 4000 CL 19 with the new CPU??

Do you see any benefit in upgrading from G.Skill Trident Z - 3200 CL 14 to 4000 CL 19 with the new CPU??

No, most Samsung "B" is very similar some is just better than others as far as what it can do.3200 CL14 and 4000 Cl19 are probably very similar in binning. If you look back those shots I had of DDR4 4000 at CL14 were done with the FlareX 3200 Cl 14 sticks

Back