• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 2600X CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can only count on a bit better IC in higher binned kits but in most cases it's not 100% guaranteed. Other thing is that recently ( at least in my local stores ) prices of guaranteed Samsung B kits are weird. I was able to buy 2x8GB Trident Z RGB 4266 kit in price ~$40 higher than the 3200 C14 while 3866/4000/4133 cost as much as 4266.

Now some other thing what most people can't realize just because they read too much weird comments on the forums. Regardless if you get Samsung, Micron or Hynix, memory bandwidth depends mainly on memory frequency ( we are talking about Ryzen ). Tightening the timings helps a bit but there is no reason to cry if anyone gets Hynix or Micron based kit ... as long as it overclocks high and new IC in general can make 3600+ what is about max for most setups. Difference in max bandwidth on TR in quad channel is about ~3GB/s between 3600 CL16 and CL22. That's Samsung B vs new Micron ( 2666 CL16 kit ) and we are talking about 85-100GB/s range.
If you are looking for memory for competitive benchmarking then Samsung B is still the best.

Edit:
here is 3733 14-14-14 in quad channel / Samsung / tight sub timings

tr31.jpg

here is 3733 20-22-22 in quad channel / Micron / auto sub timings

TR32.jpg

Last edited:
Last night I worked on getting a 24/7 "stable" 3600 MHz memory setting. Ended up with 3600, Cl16 with decent subs. 1.46 V DRAM and 1.15 V SOC an ran AIDA64 stability Memory and Cache only for two hours. CPU was on auto otherwise.

aida 2 hrs 16-16-16-34.JPG

cache 3600.JPG

I just want to say this.
It makes me very upset to see this. WHY? I literally jut bought, Not more than 2 months ago) a new Ryzen3 1300X (Or I was TOLD it was new) I can see now it is now replaced with something better. SO nice to see my CPU became obsolete the MOMENT I bought it. Talk about :mad: off.

First off this is not a replacement. The Zen 7 & 5's are in addition to your Zen 3. The 3 is the lower end (i.e. budget) performance CPU. Secondly you have several treads claiming its amazing ability to outperform Intel's equivalent. I'm not really sure why you're so :mad: about AMD releasing something new. I see this as great news.

Eh, Intel dropped the 7700k right after I got my Skylake. It was 5.1x more chip than I need, instead of just 5x more chip than I need. So I OC'd mine. LOL

First off this is not a replacement. The Zen 7 & 5's are in addition to your Zen 3. The 3 is the lower end (i.e. budget) performance CPU. Secondly you have several treads claiming its amazing ability to outperform Intel's equivalent. I'm not really sure why you're so :mad: about AMD releasing something new. I see this as great news.
Dont try to figure it out. Its useless... groundhog day man.... groundhog day.

But, anyway, this sort of thing is normal. Ryzen has been out for over a year right??? Refresh is here!!!!!!!

LMOA! Not a replacement? WHAT? Of course it is! It's not like they will just keep making the same old crap this is the new line they are done with the OLD stuff I just BOUGHT!

And Just because I have a lower end budget CPU doesn't mean they fing promoted it as the bottom of the barrel. I knew what it was I wanted a Quad core NOTHING more! This is the ONLY good QUAD core AMD has. It is the core i3 = with out the core i3 price, The fact that it can compete with the i5 in some things is amazing that is all. It is a great CHIP I am not bugging on that! I am bugging on AMD for putting out the tuned up version just weeks after I purchased there un-tuned up version.

One thing is for damn sure, You can NEVER ever EVER EVER EVER have the latest and greatest! NEVER! Tomorrow the new next big thing is here! Hell my GD iphone 6s was new for like 2 months and cost me 1k!!! And now worthless!

This is what I am talking about the fact that once I drive my new car off the lot it's worthless just like the computer (s) I have.

The CPU that once cost 1k 6 months ago is worthless today! It is like chancing the Dragon! It is enough to drive a bottle of Lithium crazy!
I am not displeased with any of my builds no way.
I am pissed because 4 weeks AFTER I get a so called NEW CPU I find it's NOT as new as I was lead to believe! Talk about misleading the masses and leading us on and stringing the masses out on there drug!

And morons think smoking pot is a gateway drug! Just look at the tech industry! It's the biggest drug there is and they have us all hooked no matter what crap they peddle out to us we suck it up and WE ALL CAN NOT WAIT TILL THEY RELEASE THERE NEXT BIG NEW LINE ONLY WEEKS AWAY!!!

I think I just blew my mind!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am LOOSING MY MIND I THINK I AM HAVING A BRAIN HEMORRHAGE!

Is there ANY TECH FOR THAT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
All I will say to this Trickson is new products are always rolling out, you'll never stop that. Not all of us are dying to get the latest and greatest. Do I want it? Of course. Will I waste money for a 5% increase each release, hell no. If you're considering it then you need to reevaluate your situation cuz it's not worth it.

My advice, enjoy what you have and do more research before you buy. This release was not a surprise and neither will the next generation of Zen they are planning.

I think we've spent enough time off topic. Let's get back on track. Johan, do you have any plans on working with the 2600X like this? It's the one I'm more likely to purchase when the time arises.

The Anandtech article Shawn cites has an excellent summary:

In our benchmarks, we compared the new AMD chips to the more recent Intel chips, but with the Spectre and Meltdown patches applied. It is clear that the patches have had an effect on some of our Intel scores more than the AMD results: combine that with AMD’s generational improvements and for a lot of tests, especially gaming, there is either a neck-and-neck result or AMD pulls a lead in multi-threaded scenarios. For anything that is hard on a single-threaded, such as our FCAT test or Cinebench 1T, Intel wins hands down, and winning the 1T tests is no easy feat, however overall AMD is pushing that performance-per-watt metric ever closer, and offering a competitive product for users that multitask.

What I found most interesting is what they said about the differential effect of Spectre and Meltdown on the two companie's product line.

You need to read this for the complete story.

I posted about this on another thread a few days ago, with Win10 (rs2 and below, haven’t tested rs3) you want HPET on and forced with FX chips, you get a nice FPS boost in most online multiplayer games that depend heavily on draw calls. Add Win10 game boost function and I got 25fps-40fps extra in Mechwarrior Online and World of Warcraft without having to overclock.

Sadly it doesn’t work on Win7/Win8.1 and it seems to have the opposite effect on Intel and now on Ryzen...

I posted about this on another thread a few days ago, with Win10 (rs2 and below, haven’t tested rs3) you want HPET on and forced with FX chips, you get a nice FPS boost in most online multiplayer games that depend heavily on draw calls. Add Win10 game boost function and I got 25fps-40fps extra in Mechwarrior Online and World of Warcraft without having to overclock.

Sadly it doesn’t work on Win7/Win8.1 and it seems to have the opposite effect on Intel and now on Ryzen...

Well, that's just interesting.

first boot.PNG

I clear Cmos my on the X370 Taichi , and pull Ryzen 1700x and drop the Ryzen 7 2700x in. Set XMP and let burn in a little with AIDA64. I need to set sub ram timings, cool the system down and see how it clocks.

ryzen ram iming.PNG

Last edited:
^ That's a sweet upgrade on the X370 Chipset by just replacing the CPU:)
IIRC - Intel would have required a new board/chipset to show an improvement like that.
@ LRG5,
Did you do your OC in the BIOS or on the Desktop???
Did you have it OCed to 4275 @ 1.456 and XFR2 took it to 4375+???

I would check memory with something like aida64 memory+cache test for 1h+. For some reason it's hard to stabilize anything above 3466 on Ryzens and often all is freezing under longer full load ... no errors, just freeze, even though can pass various benchmarks at 3733/3866.

I was just checking submissions over at HWBot and it appears the cold bug IMC issue is worked out with the Zen+ core. Saw 5.5 GHz + subs with 38-3900 MHz RAm on LN2. Now that is exciting muahahahahaha

I was just checking submissions over at HWBot and it appears the cold bug IMC issue is worked out with the Zen+ core. Saw 5.5 GHz + subs with 38-3900 MHz RAm on LN2. Now that is exciting muahahahahaha

good news, especially when someone had chip like my 1700X where "cold" bug was starting below +20°C :p

Maddmutt that is ram only. set XMP and tighten sub timing a little. At 28*C and ram is rated 3600

CPU is on auto overclock.

Ryzen Master.PNG

Last edited:
I quickly checked the 2700X on the CHVI last night using the most recent BIOS from ASUS (used flashback) and the updated chipset drivers from AMD's site. Clean install of Windows 10 x64 ver. 1804 RS4. Didn't have any issues I coould see with stability. Ran two instances of P95 with 13000 MB of memory selected. One at stock and one using PE2 which is performance enhancer in BIOS but it's the PB overdrive which raises the all core boost clocks.

P95 stock.JPG
P95 PE2.JPG

Back