• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-8150 Stuck @ 4.2Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coolerman1992

Okay so i decided to go AMD (havn't in a while).
And I need some refreshment on AMD Overclocking My Specs are Below

MSI Interceptor Series IN-535 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W Continuous@40°C, 80Plus Bronze Certified
ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Thermaltake WATER2.0 Performer Closed-Loop All In One Liquid CPU Cooler Dual 120mm PWM Fans 120x25mm CLW0215
(IDLE TEMPS: 15c)
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MKNSSDCR240GB-DX 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Acer G215HVAbd Black 21.5" Full HD WideScreen LCD Monitor
Rosewill RM-5000L 5000 DPI Laser Gaming Mouse w/ Adjustable Weights
(2 x )GIGABYTE GV-N560448-13I GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores

(OK, so i guess at this point if there was an overclocking guide for FX CPU's/ or universal AMD Overclocking guide would be best bet so i can go from there and actully work to get results befor asking for help :D lol.
so far multi is at 4.2Ghz
vCore @ 1.4625 if i go to 4.4 it becomes unstable during Prime95 some workers stop then it freezes. i have c6 disabled, speedstep or w/e lol and turbo off. and after that got no idiea. help please.

Here is the best guide that we have. .....

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663

Something you need to understand these FX CPU's generate allot of heat and being able to deal with it is half the battle. When it comes to heat ..... try to keep your CORE Temps under 60*C and your CPU Socket temps under 70*C. You will find instability will creap in around those numbers more times than not.

Here we generally use HWMonitor.

Once you hit a wall and come back to ask some questions have HWMonitor and CPUZ open on your desktop while you have prime running in the background. Specifically the CPU, MEMORY and SPD Tabs. We can work with you from there.

Okay i give up guide no help just dont get it, ok so ive overclocked befor i know the basics but im not advanced:S please help im back to 4.0 @ 1.37vcore i tried 4.2ghz @ 1.45vcore + no luck freezes @ desktop loading. :S please help i reset my bios back to normal and put it @ 4.0Ghz @ 1.37vcore. help me please :(

47426527.jpg

20536999.jpg

78192066.jpg

36850950.jpg

Can you post a captur of HW Moniter while Prime is running...... giveit about 10 - 20 min or so before you take the capture so we can see the temps that are being generated during the run.

K ..... post your pics like this please. You can attach the pics using the papper clip up top on the toolbar.

Mind you 1.288v on VCORE is probably on the low end for a stable OC. Lets wait and see how your temps are before we change anything.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 1,416
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,379
  • Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,393
Last edited:
When it is all jumbled up and uploaded to the net it makes it difficult to offer helpful advice.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Alright Here We Go

Alright lol had the cooler on wrong (WATERCOOLING) LMAO didnt come with instructions but for sure this time!
lol but anyway re seated it and running prime95 with hwmonitor as im typing. here we go...

1.jpg
:popcorn:

Well I was bouncing all over h*lls half acre trying to see what was going on and trying to get big enough images to see what was happening and I see that his ram is only good at those DDR1600 settings if the ram voltage is 1.65V and that is not normally done automatically by the bios. Maybe why he is having issues. Need to see to know.

OKAY THE FIRST THING I SEE IS WRONG IS the voltage keeps dropping its set @ 4.2Ghz @1.4250VCore but also downs the ghz andvcore as seen it was @ 0.83 when i took the pic :/// :S ???

Well from the looks of your temps it looks like you CPU Socket temps are getting up there. Even agter just 5 - 10 min you are already pushing 57*C witch is almst 25*C difference between it and your Cor Temp. How do you have your case fans set up? How many fans and how are set up, how is the airflow in your case. Also while your at it make sure turbo core, C1E, Cool & Quiet are all turned off and set your power settings in controle pannel to preformance.

1. Use the windows snipping tool to highlight and save only the menu focused on and not the whole screen, then the images are sized readable.

2. In bios DISable the 'green' stuff like Cool N Quiet and APM and C1E and so forth; then go into windows power menu and set to performance mode and the up and down of cpu speed will quit. It does not bother me but for the sake of knowing what is 'real' in the captures, it is better to have a single cpu speed shown and used until th system is tweak to the place it will remain and then I use the Cool N Quiet to keep it cooler when not doing much.

lol first off my case i listed ealier isnt here yet from newegg (Thrusday) im using an open case with no fans other then my GPU and CPU Cooler (x2) (water cooling kit push/pull.

and second c1e? dont have that option i have c6 amd c&q, and three otheres none are c1e

Back