• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-8150 Stuck @ 4.2Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
but since i have watercooling kit this should take care of the cpu temp if not im going to be disapointed this didnt happen with intel :( lol (no hating here lol). but i have to ask how come it is so far away with the temps?

Sorry the different motherboard bioses use different terms and boards have different features. I was looking for a download of your user manual but couldnt find one listed and am not sure what all asrock has in its bios.

Try putting a fan over the vrms / socket area blowing across them. Keep an eye on your voltages, if you have all the green stuff disabled your temps volts and cpu speed will not be jumping around like it was.

okay yes they are not jumping around everything is back to stock cept those settings my cpu temp is 35c idle core temps are 12c

As I pointed out these FX CPU's use allot of power and generate allot of heat both in the CPU Cores as well as your VRMs which regulate the power used by your CPU. The people that have had success 4,4GHZ and above with OCing thier FX chips have spent allot of time and money to get thier temps under contole.

cool ..... lets start out with stock volts .... for now. Start by upping your multi by .5 and do a 20 min run with prime. Keep an eye on your temps .... 55*C to 60*C max for your core temp and 70*C max for your Socket temp (CPUTIN). If you can pass 20 min move on to add another multi jump of .5 and do it again. Keep going till you start to get errors in prime, most likely a worker will just drop off. get a sreen capture of your temps adn post back. You should be able to get up around 4GHZ on stock volts or pretty close to it. I am off to bed but will check in in the am when I am up . some of the other guys should be around for a bit yet.

okay so this is what i did. I decided to go to 1.5vcore and 4.4Ghz I know most people dont need that much vcore but honestly i dont think i even have half of a golden 5.0 chip
so it was stable. ran prime95 for 10 mins and CPU TEMP didnt go above 56c and core temps didnt go above 38c. so i decided at that point maybe my problem is my cpu wants more vcore since i uped it to 1.5Vcore this is the furthest ive gotten to 4.4Ghz stable for more than 10 mins. so i bumped up the ghz one more time to 4.6Ghz and restarted then it went to loading windows and then from loading windows it goes stright to a black screen with my mouse pointer and nothing else cant ctrl, alt ,delete either. NOTHING... :( that has happen quite a few times tonight when attepting overclocking. higher then 4.0
now @ 1.5Vcore @ 4.4 ghz if my CPUTIN temp didnt go above 56c after 15 mins i honestly still think thats fine. however if im wrong let me know so at this point im clueless. i just had newegg send me a chip (REPLACEMENT) im going to get it advanced so i can test it out to see if its just my chip not like anything above 4.2Ghz? or its bad. also another thing is. i am still seeing my processor clock fluctuating from 4.4 to 1.4Ghz back and fourth as far as vcore and voltages and everything else has been stable for the most part and no core loss either. so? i guess im stumped... i honestly thing i just have a very unstable chip above 4.0? but idk you guys tell me?

Okay you never minded all it is all off, but did you >>
bassnut said:
and set your power settings in controle pannel to preformance.
Go into the windows power management section and set the power mode to "performance".

i meant the pwoer stuff lol no as of my last post its all off lol. um. ok i will do a sig and also. i just set it to performance mode we'll see what that will do.

as of right this second untill tomarrow night, i only have the Zotac GPU in, i will be using differnt SLI Hack to sli them or i might just send the zotac back, sell it, then get another gigabyte.

ok also do i need to disable thermal Core?

What is Asrock calling thermal core? Is that a temperature limit?

I don't disable the thermal limits on my boards. I want that one last measure of security so that the thing can shutdown if I push it beyond a certain point. I might raise my "thermal limit" though. But not sure what Asrock means by thermal core.

so i have newegg shipping me a replacement for my cpu going to see if it does the same to limit out if this motherboard sucks at overclocking or i got a really bad cpu. will post back after i install new CPU and go from there because i cant even hit 4.2Ghz stable at this point. with out it black screening during windows login :/ oh well time is patience and time will tell. thanks for the help guys please make the thread as solved and will move on after i recieve the new cpu and post back if i have any problems i honestly think i have a crappy cpu though.

OK I have managed to find a manual for this board.....

To help with your throttling make sure ....

OC Tweeker Screen .....

AMD Turbo Core Tehnology is Disabled, it should be as defaulted.

Advanced screen ...

Cool n Quiet, Enhanced Halt State(C1E), Core C6 State are Disabled.

CPU Thermal Throttle is like RGone has stated a throttle bassed on your CPU Overheating .... leave this at Auto

APM ... Advanced Power Managment. I couldn't find it in the manual but I will assume it is there somewhere. ... Disabled

and last make sure you go to contole pannel and ....

Go into the windows power management section and set the power mode to "performance".

Do these things and you will have your CPU running at full throttle unless it gets to the point of over heating.

We have not had allot of guys here using the asrock boards and the few that have lately have found that they tend to run hot needing a fan blowing across the VRM / Socket area to help with stability. I wish I could remember which thread it was in right now but I can't find it.

Something I have noticed in your captures you have been using 10 min ish prime runs to test stability. This is not near long enough. There was a time when it was recomended that you run for 2 hours between bios changes and 12+ hours to really test stability. Things have relaxed allot along these lines and we ask you run atleast 20min between changes and once we get up near your max about 2 hours. This allows HW moniter to really show what kind of temps you are running. 10 min or less will not.

Now that being said it is your machine and you can decide what you think is stable.

cooler man1992, I think i might start all over by booting to bios and returning to default settings, play and learn at lower clocks and temps until the new case arrives. these two will have you in the know in no time. i only say this because this cpu runs HOT.

Back