• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-8150 Stuck @ 4.2Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah thanks from both of you and i already have all that same stuff disabled lol and to caddi daddi thank you man but ive already did that will start over again once more there is also another problem as i mentioned earlier.
if i change my ram to 1600 (DEFAULT IN MY BIOS IS 1333) and change voltage to 1.65 as m y ram is rated for and try and overclock, my screen goes black right after the windows loading screen. as for if i make any major changes like go from 3.6Ghz to 4.0 it does the same ive always stuck with asrock for my last 4 builds from an Intel i5 2500k - to my i7 2600k to my i5 3570k and now this :/ it seems as if asrock on the AMD side isnt so good. i had gotten my i5 3570k stable to 4.9Ghz for 9 hours of prime95
so i trush my asrock i will do further tests and restart from scratch and def. let you guys know where i get from here and wait till tomarrow when my new cpu and case gets here also.

if i change my ram to 1600 (DEFAULT IN MY BIOS IS 1333) and change voltage to 1.65 as m y ram is rated for and try and overclock, my screen goes black right after the windows loading screen. as for if i make any major changes like go from 3.6Ghz to 4.0 it does the same

restart from scratch and def. let you guys know where i get from here and wait till tomarrow when my new cpu and case gets here also.

That ram thing happens now days a good bit with ram that is not 1.5V stuff. I would check the Asrock site since they too have a QVL list for ram. If it is not there, does not mean it will not work, but if it is there it is easier to imagine it can work. You may have to up CPU/NB to as much as 1.3V to get that higher voltage ram to work and that in and of itself adds heat.

If a new cpu is coming, then yes you likely should wait to start-over. BUT you really need to begin at the beginning and greatly so because of how the ram is acting. You may not get DDR1600 out of it. You may have to put like 1.6V on it and use some FSB in the end to move the ram higher than DDR1333 which you may have to leave as a setting in the bios.

Good luck and be well. RGone...ster. :chair:

AH HA! I've gotten it! Behold the Temperay Fix to my FX-8150 Chip Witch Doesnt Like to be overclocked!

(Drum Roll)

8cores - down to 4 cores witch is still good - then it overclocks to 4.2Ghz witch out upping voltage :D YAY ME. getting somewhere. I would def. be willing too keep this change as long as i could get an easy 4.5Ghz Overclock @ 4Cores, if i could hit more like lets say a 4.8Ghz+ i would keep this with out looking back.:bday: but im still going to check the other chip and another thing i feel stupid about... :rain: I bought an MSI Case with the original idea of getting a decent MSI board, and i bought AsRock. now two days after i buy it sure enuff newegg.com has deals going on with the MSI Boards $15 off yup just my luck.:rain: :shrug:

anyone recommend this board? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130650

Okay so ive managed to get 4.4Ghz @ 4 Cores @ 1.4Volts but there is one problem still since i havnt got my case yet the cpu overheating is not my issue per say. the northbus or w.e my motherboard temps are 44c insted of normal 32c
idk? but i ran into an issue after 25mins of prime95 from going to 4.2Ghz to 4.4Ghz @ 4.4Ghz my cpu started to throttle down to 1.4Ghz back and fourth again, im thinking my cpu is beginning to overheat? it only got up to a max of 56c :S any ideas?

You say you are replacing this >> NZXT Gamma with NO FANS FOR NOW << with something better and a new cpu. Get those pieces and see if the situation improves. Not a lot of sense in beating up what seems a dead horse when you have new livestock on the way.

It is my 'fear' that you are going to only get a small improvement, but you should get some.

I have had and used quite succesfully the older version ..... MSI 890FX UD70. It was a nice board but only lasted about 2 years. The local shop that I bought it from said the same as they had allot of these boards come back all around the same time. Have not heard allot of good things since this. Bellow is a couple threads where there is someone using the MSI boards ..... maybe they can tell you more about the MSI Boards.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717661&highlight=MSI+990
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717350&highlight=MSI+990
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717361&highlight=MSI+990

"bassnut" he doesn't have an MSI board now. He has the Asrock Extreme 3 instead of the Extreme 4 for his FX-series processor.

Well i will do just that of course im going to see if the new stuff I CAN ALMOST GAURENTEE it will be better the simple fact is i just got a crapy CPU. some cpus may hit 4.0 some may hit 5.0 thats just the matter of life lol. but i cant get unlucky the second time around but i can asure you there is no reason why my fully loaded new case with all the fans wont cool my motherboard im not worried about the cpu thats why i have water cooling but i only got this one cause the others were not an option i refuse to go to crosair or antec for Water cooling because i spend 500 out of my pocket and none of them worked i went threw the whole series of crosair. including the h60, h80, h100, and they all failed within a week and i almost killed the processor in the process as with antec like i said I REFUSE TO USE THEM lol. i just have bad luck with them.so my only option is thermal take newegg just added another thermal take cpu water cooling system yesterday its $130 vs $60 that i have now.

@RGone .... Was just answering his question on the MSI board he had asked.

@coolerman

Like RGone says I will answer your questions as best I can but I do tell it like it is, sometimes too much so, gotta work on that :shrug:.

The problem with the Closed loop systems is thay can only remove so much heat from the chip and they do absolutly nothing to help your temps in your motherboard. Yes I have 3 of them here too .... H70, H100 and K920. The thermaltake cooler you are using is pretty much the same cooler and made by the same company that makes the antec closed loop systems. Thier new one .... supposed to be a couple *C better then the H100 .....

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106190

has some potential and was reviewd by Buckeye here in the watercooling section .....

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717167

If you look at the thread RGone posted and my cooling system I am using I was getting up around 65*C Core Temps @ 4500MHZ and and over 70*C on my socket Temps before I really understood what it took to cool this puppy and I am still learning. That was with a 280 Black Ice Extream and a 240 Black Ice Extream rad in the sytem. I have said it before these puppies generate allot of heat and it is not easy to deal with it.

It cost me another $300 - $400 to make a few changes that really helped my temps to gain another 200MHZ I can't get passed 4716MHZ only about 30 min Stable without my temps going where I don't want them to. Mind you my temps are way better now at that 4700MHZ.

You are not the first person to come here with the same questions, we have a few open threads here of people just like you that have found it very hard to OC these CPU's and deal with the heat. Two more brand new threads just today since I went to work this am. We spent allot of time with GamerMagnet who did the same as you and bought a closed loop Antec Khuler 920 and had the exact same results as you did / are having right now.

Now that all being said we will help you get the best OC we can out of your system. I hope I wasn't too blunt on how I worded this, it wasn't meant to be critical and maybe I am just venting .... I just spent the whole day dealling with a bunch of Idiot drivers. I need a BEER or two.

lol of course no problem and thanks ha. i understand alrough it was my cpu, i got the new one today popped it in and set it to 4.5Ghz @ 1.4 and its fine! but im having problems with my sli now :(
so now i have to work on that as well. :?

Back