• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

April Folding Contest Part #4 OCF UNITE! (I7 computer Grand prize)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Weeell. Just tried running it for a while, crashed my GPU after about 15 seconds. I think I can pretty positively RMA this thing without the fear of it not being defective now.

No you can't. Your card is probably perfectly fine. I'm not sure anybody can run the viewer for that long without freezing the GPU. For me it was much less. Sometimes I would accidentally open it and it'd freeze the GPU before I could close it out :(. I'm really not sure why the viewer isn't disabled for the GPU client.

Back in

Code:
I guess you might call me retired but if not thats ok, I have a good rig.
Code:
Team name PorPorMe-joind in Aug I think. I'll go change over from team 45.
Code:
 Can't let you guys go down the toilet!

My folding name is godman114. I joined Team32 on 04/10/09

P.S. I tried this YEARS ago for like a day or 2 on my girlfriend's PC, but I never joined the team or anything for real... just wanted to check it out. Just checked up username g0dM@n and it comes up as "g0dM" and like 3700 pts.

I'm assuming I'm considered "new" b/c I never truly folded before. I'm using the new name of "godman114" since "g0dM@n" comes out as "g0dM" :(

I am folding on my HTPC. WinXP Pro SP3, BE-2350 @ 2.8ghz. I installed the systray version. How come it's only running on one core... if I display the F@hviewer, then it runs on both cores since it becomes 2 diff processes.

I'm trying to figure out the SMP right now to get this to run on both cores so I can set and forget... also want to put it in the startup.
What's this DEINO version vs MPICH version? I'm lazy and don't want to read for hours and hours to figure this out. I just want a set it and forget it on my HTPC since it's on 24/7 anyway.

Last edited:
This is being advertised in the AMD section which is quite offensive. You might offer the choice of a piped up AMD Phenom 945 or Intel I7.

besides how can a free box be offensive ? common man

My folding name is ZexMarquies01, And I am starting to fold again as of 4-11-09.

I am an ex-folder. Last time i folded was in August of 2008. Now that I have a better system, I will be able to fold much, much faster than before. ( that and owning a couple systems, and a PS3 will help too. )

I would, but its not worth it.

they way the prize system is setup anyways, basially the top cruncher will win the #1 prize.

its not random prize give aways its based off points.

they way the prize system is setup anyways, basially the top cruncher will win the #1 prize.

its not "he/she who folds the most wins"; its "get x number of points and get an entry in to the raffle". more entries gives you a better chance to win, but doesn't necessarily mean #1 folder gets the new rig.

Designing a FaH competition is a bit difficult.

(1) If you base it purely off who folds most, the high hitters will move in and no-one else has a chance.

(2) If you base it off the most CPUs folding you have the above problem plus some very easy ways to cheat.

(3) If you bias it too much to the vast majority of members who only have 1-2 machines folding, there is no incentive to ramp up production and you discourage the big farmers. Or, the latter simply break the farm up across several usernames.

(4) The 'entries to a raffle' system works best because although some fine tuning is required it means everyone has a chance.

It's not perfect by any means but its otherwise very difficult to make the competition fair. The bottom line is that everyone has *a* chance. Its still better odds than the lottery :)

It's up to you if you want to join in, no-one is going to press gang anyone into entering but I thought I'd better point out how difficult it is to make these things fair without shooting yourself in the foot or having cheats.

what do you mean its not worth it to fold bro i mean if your pc is just sitting there doing nothing why not put it to fold so you might win might not who cares its for a good cause bro ....

btw you guys should make a live video of the drawing to make it more entertaining :) lol

Back