• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you leave it on?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How long do(es) your computer(s) stay on?

• 24/7

Votes: 726 54.3%
  • Only while in use

Votes: 286 21.4%
  • Depends

Votes: 325 24.3%

• Total voters
flounder43 said:

Nice, liked that one!

The only thing that makes me nervous is a crash when I am not home or sleeping, and I might lose folding time! :D

Thanks!
I don't worry about that one as much as the client not being able to contact the server. I find that I only get errors when I do something (ie not when I leave it folding for the weekend).

24/7, no way! Power is often going out--snowstorms, thunderstorms, windstorms, squirrels, women drivers...:eek:
After one house fire, I care not for a replay. Besides, it's not very energy efficient, unless you need a noisy space heater next to your bed. :)

Jmichael484 said:
I start mine up at about 6 in the morning and shu it off at about midnight.

Yup, same here only from 6:50 :p

I would leave 'em on, but the electricity bill really was bigger this time, much bigger, and I can't stand the noise... I will prolly leave the main rig on when I get WC!

Last edited:
How can you guys run them 24/7? Are you on Windows? I'm not sure about XP, but Windows 9x isn't very good memory management. If I leave my comp on for 6-10hours, then it starts lagging. Does this happen to you if you leave it on too long?

--Garfield

Garfield said:
How can you guys run them 24/7? Are you on Windows? I'm not sure about XP, but Windows 9x isn't very good memory management. If I leave my comp on for 6-10hours, then it starts lagging. Does this happen to you if you leave it on too long?

--Garfield

Make a fixed swap file of x2 of ur memory capacity, & ur comp won't be lagging..
Though my mem is full when idle the computer will free it when u will run something...

I run Win2K, WinNT 4.0, Win98se and Redhat Linux 7.2.

The only pcs that needs to be rebooted are the ones with 98- once a week: makes a big difference if you just leave a program (SETI@Home) running, and don't do anything else with it.

I would expect that WinXP's performance to be about the same as 2000's, but don't have it, not getting it, so I don't know for sure.

Yeah, I'm getting Linux (which is good memory management :D) so I'll probably be on that a lot and leave the comp running. Won't deplete (sp?) my memory sources like Windows.

2 - 24/7 (restart once a month)
--Win2K
--Solaris 7/01

1 - While I'm awake ~10 am - 2 am
--WinXP

2 - Only while using it
--Win98se
--WinME

Pure 24/7

On 24/7/365 (execept for leap years and testing new PC boards. :) )

98SE, 500Mhz, 128Mb Ram, True Color, MSN Messneger is allways on.

When it begins to lag, just exit Internet Explorer, refresh desktop, and make sure that your screen saver uses low memory or just don't bother having one, Del the win/temp items, defrag, scan disk, and experiment with RUN/MSConfig. do this once a week and your PC will never lag.

and what's the big deal about folding?

I really must check out what folding & seti is.
I dont have a clue...and lot of people are talking about them

mine is TOO LOUD to leave on...
otherwise I would..

so It's on if I'm awake, or not sleeping in my room that night..

24/7

I've had a pc running 24/7 in my various households for the last 5 years....except for the upgrades....:D

my girlfriend is'nt real happy with the new super air-cooled case mod at the foot of our bed!:D

-and now that I just signed up, downloaded & am currently running folding@home...:D

Re: 24/7

Thermal said:
I've had a pc running 24/7 in my various households for the last 5 years....except for the upgrades....:D

my girlfriend is'nt real happy with the new super air-cooled case mod at the foot of our bed!:D

-and now that I just signed up, downloaded & am currently running folding@home...:D

Team 32 all the way!

On 24/7 x3 folding using Kvm switch and router. Like Flounder my biggest fear is one of the comps, not on the monitor, failing, causing a loss of time.

I found a free proggy called Winrambooster that I use to clear memory leaks that seem to develop over time. I believe the problem is the sdram because my rambus and ddr machines don't have the won't release memory prob.

Last edited:
web server comp is on 24/7 with Windows 2000 Server and my workstation comp (winxp) gets shut down occasionally. Id like to add that the server has been known to run for 2 months straight without a single glitch, and thats on an old compaq k62 475mhz. pretty impressive if ya ask me :)

Heavy

Back