• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you leave it on?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How long do(es) your computer(s) stay on?

• 24/7

Votes: 726 54.3%
  • Only while in use

Votes: 286 21.4%
  • Depends

Votes: 325 24.3%

• Total voters
24/7 +

Well got my mail and web server running 24/7 and my other rig (se below) runs almost all the time but it's very noisy :( So when I can't sleep I turn the bugger off. Both are looking for little green Martians.

The truth is somewhere, I just wish I knew where ;)

JetMech said:
I found a free proggy called Winrambooster that I use to clear memory leaks that seem to develop over time. I believe the problem is the sdram because my rambus and ddr machines don't have the won't release memory prob.

Could u post a link for this program?
I really need this, I leave my comps on long time b4 even touching them, and I do use SDRAM...

Would be very thankfull

The Coolest said:

Could u post a link for this program?
I really need this, I leave my comps on long time b4 even touching them, and I do use SDRAM...

Would be very thankfull

Here's something that has the same function and is freeware (the other prog is shareware). Enjoy!

Before reading this tread, I used to shut down my computer when I went to bed, and start it up the next day.

Since reading it, the computer stays on. All the time. The only time it's unusable is when it freezes or restarts from too high of an overclock.

I can't believe I got into the habit of shutting down all night. When I think about all the hundreds, if not thousands of hours it could have spent folding, I want to hit something.

Only things I shut off are the monitors, otherwise both systems are running 24/7. With the exceptions of LAN's, modding, or changing hardware. Minimum, atleast one of my two systems is on. The other being off only because of transport or upgrade.

I usually let my monitor turn off with the Windows thing where if I go idle for say 15mins it'll turn off by itself. Since I heard turning it off by hand wasn't good for it.

Yodums

I'm all 24/7.. Folding and all. I got so p***ed one Sunday I came back after being gone all weekend to find my computers off! Even worse I had password locked my main PC so no one would fiddle with it, so they obviously didn't do a proper shutdown. My parents had guests that weekend and apparently one of them slept in my room and found my 2 PCs to be too loud. grrrr.. i don't mind someone using my room (even though there was no need we have other beds), but don't mess with my folding! Ah well, I only lost like 16 hours.

Garfield said:
How can you guys run them 24/7? Are you on Windows? I'm not sure about XP, but Windows 9x isn't very good memory management. If I leave my comp on for 6-10hours, then it starts lagging. Does this happen to you if you leave it on too long?

I know exactly what you're talking about. That's why I use Win2k.

Despotes said:
24/7, no way! Power is often going out--snowstorms, thunderstorms, windstorms, squirrels, women drivers...:eek:

That's why I have a UPS. Power failures never bothered me. At my old apartment I'd be sitting there cruising the net on my 56k not even notice the power failure. My PCs are only shutting down when I leave the country :D

I did however set my PC on fire one time. I had a sound card with a daughtercard (TBeach Montego II). I connected the cable that connects the two parts, but I did it wrong only connecting to half of the pins and the wrong half at that (I had done this many times before, but this one time I just wasn't paying attention). I turned on the PC, fortunately I was staring straight at the inside when I saw the cable burst into flames. :mad: Pulled out the plug and blew out the flame and a cloud of smoke came rushing out. Scary stuff... But no hardware died, just a burnt cable. I've taken note of where we keep the fire extinguisher since then.

All the time, why turn it off, chances are if I did, it wouldnt come back on...hehe
24/7 , even though it sounds like a tornado.....

Alienware aurora ddr
Amd xp 1900 not o/cd yet
gotta get it watercooled first
1gig ddr
geforce 3 64 ddr
pioneer dvd
sony cdrw

i think the system has six fans total...but im gonna mod it out

Only when I'm using it. Which is when I get home from my job til when I go to sleep. It's not on 24/7 cause I share a room with my brother and he won't shut up about it being too noisy ("You want noisy? How bout a put my Delta's back in!! Muhahahaha!!").

-DarkArctic

[edit] Both processors Folding like their life depended on it. :)[/edit]

I TRY to leave my Tbird box folding overnight but my parents keep turning it off :mad:

my pc is on when i get up.. and its off when i goto Sleep... to put up with 70 DB's when Trying to Sleep.. it Just Dosent Work...

Second pc.. p1 200.... its on and off when ever someone else wants to do it... :)

Back