• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fallout 3 Tips/Tricks/Questions thread (if you guys add to it)*spoilers* maybe inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Man, you em-effers have gotten really far on this game. I just got it yesterday and have only been able to play it for about 2 hours. I'm still wandering around the wasteland:(.

I think I'm, like, level 3 or something.

I'm looking for the GECK right now. Kinda retarded but I noticed that I use the super sledge more than anything because they can't shoot me at close range, and all of my guns SUCK!!!! :/ even the minigun which has to be manually aimed cuz my character misses 5 feet away in VAT. Complete opposite of oblivion where I wanted to stay as far away as possible and hit them with ranged.....

hm...you don't have the right stats then. I can kill any enemy in about 2 shots except a death claw, but I always kill him beofre he gets to me. They are so far away they can't even hit me yet.
Super mutants or enclave always die either in 1 shot or 2 in the head.

I use a plasma rifle to do my deeds i think its damage is only like 34. I'm going to find the android, if you do you can get a plasma rifle that does 50 dmg, so I can't imagine the destruction I would cause if I got my hands on that.

Even before I had energy weapons though, I could use a hunting rifle/Chinese assault rife to destroy people before they would hit me as well. Long range weapons are great.

My stats are:
100 small guns
100 enegery weapons
100 lock pick
45 for repair
65 science
barter ist at 40
speech is at 55 i think
medicine 30
and some others

stats I didn't put anything in are:
unarmed
sneak
big guns (big guns are useless I think) if I want to use a big gun like a flamer, I don't use vats at all i just run in there.
explosives
and a few others i think i'm missing.

during the whole game I've only used a close range weapon about twice and that was because i was just messing around killing awhole town with just a knife.

All my perks also are for battle, like i have a perk that makes 2 handed weapons more accurate, i also have a perk that will restore all my AP points if i kill an enemy during VATS which i almost always do. I have a sniper perk that will make head shots more accurate, i have another perk that will increase the chance of me hitting a limb the more times a target it.

So yah get the right perks, and you can destroy people from a mile away.

Also I heard people say they can't find enough ammo, It might be because your playing good and I played evil but I never ran out of ammo or guns.
Out of all the gear my partner had and I had, I think I had every gun in the game with a good supply of ammo for all of them. Now that I switched to energy weapons, I have an absurd amount of ammo now. I statrted to really use a lot of frag grenades and mines because they weigh to much adn i have around 35 frag grenades and 30 frag mines.

I never once purchased a gun either. I did however pucharse bullets, like shot gun shells or 5.56mm rounds for the assault rifle.

Last edited:
I pretty much went the same route you did and the game is really easy even on hard for me now <3 hunting rifle :beer:

That being said the first level or 2 I had issues with ammo but ever since I went to the super-duper mart I have not had a problem since

I was good throughout the game. The only time i got bad karma was when i did this:

Didnt blow up the bomb. (good karma)
Found tenpenny hotel
Killed tenpenny in the FACE with a combat shotgun. BOOYAH! (no karma change)
Killed every guard and looted them (no karma change)
Then i let the ghouls in (lost karma)
and looted all of the shop safes and cash registers (lost karma)
I got about 2500 caps and loads of ammo from the guards/safes

What kind of "Special" weapons have people found? I found the Terrible Shotgun, which is really just a combat shotty that does extra damage. I repaired it using a couple of standard combat shotguns to about 50% and it deals 78 damage now.

the rare gun ive seen was the utral smg gun 10mm you can kill the girl to get it or let her die in battle to get the gun but once youve done the job with here you get get the plans for the steam railgun(pins part of there body to the wall) and has any one else been to the white house yet? and if your planing to you take a lot ammo,strong gun,stimpads and the fat boy (mini nuke) as theres a big 15-20ft superhuman in there and super human and bontys and loads of task people also you might want at least 75 lockpinking and hacking

Wow the ending was horrible!!!
I did all 3 endings by the way.

The made an amazing game but screwed it up by
#1. Making a level cap at 20
#2. Making a level cap at 20
#3. " "
#4. Game was way to short. The side quests arn't even worth it if your level capped at freaking 20 and don't get any more xp or anything, its just blah.
Oh well i guess wait till the expansion comes.

question. the guy in minefield that is on the top of the destroyed building, he shoots at you for pretty much no reason, has anyone been able to talk to him?

I agree infact I think its way to easy, even at level like 14 I was able to head shot just about any guy and kill them in 3 hits or less.

For me, if I'm not gaining any experience it just makes killing stuff not as fun.

I thought the funest time i had was when I had no stim packs, very little ammo and I was surrounded by super mutants, took forever to make it without dying. I didn't realize you could rest and slowly regain health.

Last edited:
question. the guy in minefield that is on the top of the destroyed building, he shoots at you for pretty much no reason, has anyone been able to talk to him?

Well i didnt bother doing the mission from the girl in the supply shop at megaton. She asks you to get some mines from there and give them to her. I lied to her instead. But at paradise falls the man asks you to catch one of four people, so i caught him. I didnt really talk to him, i hit him with the mesmorizer or whatever its called and looted his pockets while he was dizzy. He has a sniper rifle. Then i killed all the slavers to save the little kids for little-lamplight and rescued him also. He didnt say much - just started shooting tin cans and stuff like a madman.

Killed tenpenny in the FACE with a combat shotgun. BOOYAH! (no karma change)

ha ha. isn't that the best?

there is NOTHING like it, no matter WHAT game it is. i simply LOVE having a shotgun and 1-shotting enemies in the face. had fun with that in Bioshock even.

Shottie FTW lol

my current character sucks in weapons - she's a sneaky, lockpicky, computer hacky, pickpockety girl.

but my next character i want to be melee focused to get the most out of bats,brass knuckles and the fist weapon.

this game is good on so many levels but story is to short and you can skip all most all of it by going to doctor li right after leaving 101 so ive started again

completed the game in 33 hours 27 mins
sad endding tho did anyone get her to make thing work???

also i think they made that cap level 20 for only making your type of person like a hunter or exploper so you make the person who you would be if that happend or who you would become

Last edited:
The ending wasn't sad, waht do you mean? Is there a way to end it without you disarming the explosive thing?

just enter 216~!

what happens to you at the end thats sad the rest is good it just befor it i panic with the last bit with the code lol i could not find the enter pad and i almost died of rad befor entering the code then i rem that it was there as soon as you get in there

there many way to end it if you go in there to do it you can leave it to blow up there the end you can activate it by the code and/or not put the anti super human and goaul thing in as well to kill them all off or you can get the girl in there to do the code

Back