• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help OC Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swampdonkey

I cant seem to get above 4.0ghz on my Phenom II x4 965. :cry: Can someone please give me some advice???

Asus sabertooth 990fx
Phenom II (200 x 20)
Kingston HyperX @ 1333mhz
Noctua NH-D14 for cooling.

Attachments

• oC.png
    oC.png
    390.2 KB · Views: 73
Please include a pic of CPU-z tab: "SPD" so we can compare your ram timings and frequency with what the manufacturer recommends. What is the make, model and wattage of your PSU? What is the make and model of your case? Have you done in temp monitoring under full load of Prime95 blend? You say nothing about temps which if too high can cause instability. It generally takes 1.5 vcore or maybe more to get a Deneb core CPU up past 4.0 ghz and you are only running a vcore of 1.465. Do you have temp room to increase the vcore?

Please run a 20f minute PRime95v blend test with HWMonitor open on the desktop before and during the test. Then attach a pic of the HWMonitor interface so we can take a look at temps and voltages under load. We don't need a pic of Prime95. We all know what it looks like. We do need pics of the three CPU-z tabs and of HWMonitor after a stress test.

Last edited:
^ All of that. Also have you tried using an odd cpu multiplier and overclocking the reference clock? Sometimes that can lead to more OC headroom.

Please include a pic of CPU-z tab: "SPD" so we can compare your ram timings and frequency with what the manufacturer recommends. What is the make, model and wattage of your PSU? What is the make and model of your case? Have you done in temp monitoring under full load of Prime95 blend? You say nothing about temps which if too high can cause instability. It generally takes 1.5 vcore or maybe more to get a Deneb core CPU up past 4.0 ghz and you are only running a vcore of 1.465. Do you have temp room to increase the vcore?

Please run a 20f minute PRime95v blend test with HWMonitor open on the desktop before and during the test. Then attach a pic of the HWMonitor interface so we can take a look at temps and voltages under load. We don't need a pic of Prime95. We all know what it looks like. We do need pics of the three CPU-z tabs and of HWMonitor after a stress test.

Right now I am using a brand new Corsair HX850W Model: CMPSU-850HX. I have the Corsair Graphite 600t. Yes I have room to increase vcore. Thanks for the reply.

Attachments

• ochelp.png
    ochelp.png
    502.1 KB · Views: 54
I see you have your NB (or CPUNB) overclocked to 2608 mhz. Did you also give that component more voltage to support that higher frequency?

At 42C your close to the 50C mark which is where most cpus stop clocking any higher. That could be a problem or you just need to lower NB and push more VCore for higher cpu speed.

At 42C your close to the 50C mark which is where most cpus stop clocking any higher. That could be a problem or you just need to lower NB and push more VCore for higher cpu speed.

Yea i think it is a matter of not enough Vcore to get 4.1ghz.

Should be fine up to 60-65c. I dunno about most CPUs, regardless of what Dolk says with this mystical "heat wall", it is wrong. Some will become unstable around 50-55c and some will not. Some FX-8100 series CPUs will do the same at 60c and others will run all the way till 80.

Also every value but 533 CL7 in CPU-Z SPD tab is trash, they are not real readings and I don't know why we keep asking people to provide it instead of just looking at the sticker on the memory themselves. I've said this a hundred times, but apparently we trust a piece of software that knowingly reads false values vs someone's eyes and hands.

Also, if someone is stable at 4 GHz, when overclocking with only the multiplier, why are we asking about his memory timings? They obviously work.

swampdonkey, what kind of error or BSOD is Prime95 giving you?

Should be fine up to 60-65c. I dunno about most CPUs, regardless of what Dolk says with this mystical "heat wall", it is wrong. Some will become unstable around 50-55c and some will not. Some FX-8100 series CPUs will do the same at 60c and others will run all the way till 80.

Also every value but 533 CL7 in CPU-Z SPD tab is trash, they are not real readings and I don't know why we keep asking people to provide it instead of just looking at the sticker on the memory themselves. I've said this a hundred times, but apparently we trust a piece of software that knowingly reads false values vs someone's eyes and hands.

Also, if someone is stable at 4 GHz, when overclocking with only the multiplier, why are we asking about his memory timings? They obviously work.

swampdonkey, what kind of error or BSOD is Prime95 giving you?

Usually what happens is I will set it to 4.1ghz and everything seems fine. I open prime run it and about 30 secs in it blue screens. The last one i had said "PageFault found in Non-Pagefault area" or something like that.

Try lowering your CPUNB frequency to 2400 mhz and lower the CPUNB voltage to 1.225.

I just raised the voltage to 1.524 and everything seems stable at 4.1ghz. Is that to much voltage? My temps are fine HWmonitor and coretemp read about 49-50c load.

That would be about the limit in CPU voltage I'd feel comfortable with in 24/7 usage, even with those nice temps. Do you have LLC (Load Line Calibration) in your bios?

That would be about the limit in CPU voltage I'd feel comfortable with in 24/7 usage, even with those nice temps. Do you have LLC (Load Line Calibration) in your bios?

Yes i have LLC set to ultra high. Do you know what cpu voltage frequency is? Cause I have messed with it and it doesnt really do anything so I just set it to 400 :p

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    284.9 KB · Views: 44
No, I don't know what "CPU Voltage Frequency" is. Never seen that one before. Sorry, can't help you there.

Hello swampdonkey :)

"CPU Voltage Frequency" adjusts the pulse-width modulation (PWM) switching frequency of the motherboard's voltage regulator module (VRM) connected to the CPU vcore.

This setting can usually be left on auto, but I find 400-450 KHz works well on ASUS boards.

In a nutshell, the goal of PWM switching frequency is so reduce unmeasureable voltage change in voltage when a load is supplied to the VRM.

Similar to:
200px-Oscillation_amortie.svg.png

Generally, higher switching frequencies will dampen this response of the circuit, but at the expense of lower power efficiency and more VRM heat.
However one large reason the option is there, to dampen transient overshoot (a split second rise in voltage before returning to normal, it is the peak of the graph) and ringing (the waves) when Load-Line Calibration is in use.

This is unmeasurable and really should not make a difference in reliability or overclocks in normal cases so it is best left 400-450 KHz. The only real people that take advantage of this VRM tweaking feature would be those extreme overclockers using exotic cooling methods, extreme LLC and dangerous voltages.

So...
No need to worry.

Oh.
I've noted up to 0.04v gain under load with CPU-NB on Crosshair V Formula with LLC just at Regular (lowest), so if ASUS provides CPU-NB Voltage monitoring within AI Suite II I would take a look at it and maybe adjust accordingly. If it is anything like the Crosshair board, CPU-NB LLC is not needed.

As far as CPU Current Capability and CPU-NB Current Capability, these are simply Over-Current Protection adjustments. If you aren't throttling (CPU is not downclocking to low clocks), or shutting down at random when under intensive CPU load, then these can be left alone, these options cater to extreme overclockers as well.

Hope that helps!
-BeepBeep

Back