• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my 1300w power supply big enough? Having second thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLambeth87

Current specs are below. I am planning on overclocking the CPU to the 4.2-4.5Ghz range and overclocking both GPUs to as high as I can go.

Thoughts?

-Intel i9-7980xe (delidded)
-MSI x299 Gaming M7 ACK
-CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 64gb DDR2666 RAM (Might get another set for 128gb total)
-2x EVGA 1080TI Kingpin Hydro's
-EVGA SuperNova 1300w PSU
-2x Samsung 960 Evo NVME M.2 1TB
-2x 6TB HGST Deskstar HDD's in RAID 0 for working drives

-2x EKWB 480mm CoolStream XE Radiators
-4x EKWB D5 Pumps (Black)
-2x EKWB MSI Gaming Pro Nickel Monoblock RGB
-4x EKWB 250mL x3 Reservoirs
-A bunch of EKWB fittings all in black along with 4 ball valves for the drains (2 per side)

Thanks!

Josh

I'd be comfortable with that system on a 1kW PSU. You're definitely fine with 1.3kW.

Will do.

I ended up selling the 1300 for what I paid for it. I purchased an EVGA 1600w P2 PSU and will use that. It will stay quieter since it has more overhead.

Josh

Based on the fan curve I saw from EVGAs site. The 1300 would be running more fan speed then the 1600 at the same wattage being pulled.

Based on the fan curve I saw from EVGAs site. The 1300 would be running more fan speed then the 1600 at the same wattage being pulled.

And you'd never hear either fan over how many you'll have on your radiators. The PSU fans EVGA uses are super quiet anyway. Unless you had a fanless build (LOL at doing that with a 1300W PSU) then you'd never notice the fan at all.

That was a waste of cash... :(

as atm said, youll never hear that fan when it spins up alone nevertheless with how many fans you have.

Well just like audio amplifiers, a power supply is much the same (learned that here). More power it can handle the less work it does in the mean, resulting in clean efficient power instead of worrying about heat and max values. Mine is fanless thank god. Now if I could figure out how to mount my mobo in a dry freezer. But then the freezer has fans... There's an idea. Have a pc so powerful it doesn't need cooling/no moving parts period.

Ehh, there is clean and efficient power throughout its 80plus tested range. Take a look at a Jonnyguru review and see how flat the efficiency curve really is.... ;)

Last edited:
I run some power sucking hogs and an evga 850 G2 is all I ever "really need", but overkill= cool sometimes, like cards in sli.

Thanks for the info guys. An extra $200 to set my mind at ease is okay with me even if it really isn't going to matter much. :D

Josh

Back