• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gorgeto

Registered
I need help to overclock my cpu to 3.2 or 3.5ghz any help would be appreciated.
Here are my specs:
Processor: Athlon II x4 620 - Propus Socket AM3(938)
Mobo : ASRock M3N78D (3 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
Chipset: nVIDIA nForce 720D, AMD K10
RAM : Kingston 4 GB DDR3 PC3-10700(667mhz) (2x) - of them
Apacer 2 GB DDR3 PC3-10700H(667mhz) (2x) - of them
GPU:AMD Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5
HDD: Hitachi HDS721050CLA (500 GB)

Honestly I understand that people have to work and this help is for free. I also know that noone is really super in a hurry to work with that Nvidia based motherboard. But here is a link to one just now working already in the forum. Likely just a few threads down from yours still. Current in other words.

LINK >> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742139
Help in Overclocking Athlon IIX4 635 On ASUS M4N68TM_LE_V2

See that Yellow N in the title of that linked thread. Everything they told him to do with that
cheaper Nvidia chipset mobo, will apply to you and your cpu overclocking. No sense in writing the same things again.
RGone...

Overclocking an old machine like that isn't going to help you much...

1. Download AMD Overdrive and CPU-Z for monitoring and testing.
2. Google OC'ing your specific board and get some relative numbers for what other people overclocking to.
3. Your options on that board are probably pretty limited to Clock Ratio and CPU Voltage.
4. Make sure you have adequate cooling for your CPU.

Look into upgrading your HDD, RAM, and GPU for better speeds.

That motherboard is rated for 140W CPUs so that's in your favor. The Nvidia chipset may be a hindrance, however. That CPU has an upwardly locked core speed multiplier so you have only the main system frequency as the principle overclocking mechanism of the CPU. We usually refer to this parameter as the FSB but is also known as the CPU frequency and the HT Reference and individual motherboard bioses may call it something else. Since it is the main system bus there are some other frequencies that are tuned to it that will need adjustment in the process. Namely, the Memory speed, the HT Links Speed and the CPU/NB frequency. These other three grow with the FSB as it is increases and any of them can become the source of instability if they get too high. So, at some points you have to cut them back.

In preparation, download and install these three software helper tools that are our constant companions around here: CPU-z, HWMonitor (non pro version), and Prime95.

Do you have a digital camera or camera phone you can take pics of the bios? If you attach them with your posts then we can see what you see. Every bios has different terminology.

Also, what are you using for the CPU cooler? You do not list that component in post #1 and it is critical to have a good aftermarket cooler if you plan to overclock. Put everything else on hold if you do not have this piece in place yet.

And what is the make and model of your case? A well-ventilated case is essential to good overclocking. Tell us about the fans: how many intake and how many exhaust.

Last edited:
My CPU cooler is CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 and here are the pics,hope this is everything you requested thanks in advance.
119v8d3.jpg 156e340.jpg 33jrbpd.jpg

Something wrong with the pics. They show up only as little boxes with "X" in each of them.

There is a built in forum tool for attaching pics with posts. Click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will call up the file browser/upload tool and the rest will be obvious. You can attach up to three pics per post but add more if you go back and edit the post. Pics should not be excessively large or small so that they are easily viewable but no so large you have to scroll side to side and up and down to see all of them.

I trust some of those pics depict your case and fans and the overall ventilation picture.

Okay, you must have caught the problem with the pics as I was typing the last post.

Tell us about your case, it's fans and your ventilation scenario.

The first thing to do is to run the Prime95 "blend" test for 20 minutes with HWMonitor open in the background throughout the test. All we have are your idle temps and that is not helpful. We need to see temps when the CPU is being fully stressed. This will tell us about the adequacy of your cooling and give us an idea of how much headroom your have from a temp perspective to overclock. When you have done this, please post back with a pic of HWMonitor that shows max CPUTIN and core temps.

Ignore the 98c max CPUTIN. It's a bogus reading and probably happened right as you first started the stress test - a startup spike, I'm thinking. We sometimes see this.

Well, we generally advise keeping CPU temps to a max of 60-65c and core temps to a max of 55-60. So, you are in good shape and seem to have about 15c or so of headroom to overclock. When you start adding voltage to the CPU the temps will climb.

So, start with these changes in bios:

Take "OC Mode" off of Auto and the same with "Multiplier/Voltage Change" and "Bus Speed". Take DRAM Voltage off of Auto and set it to 1.55.

Lower your Memory Clock from 667/1333 to 533/1066 this will be necessary to make headroom for the growth of the memory frequency as you increase the CPU Frequencyu (aka, FSB) as they are linked.

Increase your CPU Voltage to 1.425. It looks like it is now set to 1.4. This option should appear once you take the "Multiplier/Voltage Change" off of Auto. Auto hides things. Please post back with new pics of the bios after you make the requested changes so I can see if things look right. By the way, I don't need pics of the memory timings in the second row at this point. Actually, all we need are the first two pics in the top row.

Disable CPU Thermal Throttle.

Is this ok? should i apply this settings?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 82
How'd you get a CPU frequency of 250 MHz? You're getting way ahead of yourself. Put that at the stock 200 MHz for now. Also, lower the NB Frequency Multiplier to 9x and the HT Bus Speed to 8x. Then choose 1066 for the Memory Clock. I think the other settings are correct. Post back with new pics of those same bios areas. I'll be gone for a couple of hours.

hope i did it well this time :)

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 77
Not quite. I was asking for the CPU voltage to brought up to 1.425, not 1.4125 and the NB Voltage to 1.225 not 1.125. Other things look okay. Please post back with new pics after making the requested changes. When these are set correctly then I'll give you instructions for a systematic and safe overclocking procedure.

What should i choose?

Attachments

• 1390072296660.jpg
    1390072296660.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Then select 1.250 for the NB voltage. That should be fine. I didn't realize you had to pick from a list of predetermined values. So I assume you were able to set the CPU voltage to 1.425. If so, let's proceed with the overclock process.

Now, bump up the CPU Frequency to 210 mhz. Run a Prime95 blend test with HWMonitor open in the background to check for temps and voltages which you should do whenever you run a stress test. You want to keep CPUTIN temps from exceeding about 65c and you want core temps to not exceed 55-60c. Don't worry about CPU voltage ("vcore") per se unless you begin to exceed about 1.5 volts. Max CPUTIN and core temperatures are a better barometer of danger up to that point for 24/7 operation.

If you pass the Prime95 stress test (no spontaneous restart, no blue screen, no lockup, no Prime95 core workers drop out) then up the CPU Frequency to 220 MHz and retest. Repeat this until you can't pass the 20 minute stress test and then report back with pics of HWMonitor and CPU-z tabs "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". At that point we'll assess temps and see if there is room to add more vcore to reintroduce stability.

Back