• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New ASRock Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You're using only a 350w PSU?? Wow! I'm using a 500w Antec Smartpower 2.0. I guess it should be ok then!

axess68 said:
You're using only a 350w PSU?? Wow! I'm using a 500w Antec Smartpower 2.0. I guess it should be ok then!
I calculated my hardware's wattage and 298watts is all I need.
I have been using this psu for 6 months and it hasn't faield me yet. AMD specifies min 25watts for 12v rail, and this one is dual 12v rails totaling 29watts.
My agp card does not draw much power, and any video card under 85watts,
should work fine. This power calculator should comehandy.

I Finally was able to get my board stable @ 9x255=2295mhz , 1:1 ratio. I could go as high as 265mhz (1:1), and run winxp, but couldn’t pass prime95 torture test. I passed 2M Super-Pi but not Prime95. So if you can run windows and pass Super-Pi, make sure that you can pass prime torture. The Ram voltage need to be set to normal, ant not auto, or high. My Patriot xblk w/ looser timing dose not like higher voltage. I can not say that it is my ram, or the mobo low voltage, and this bios- others may have better luck w/ 1:1 ratio. This 255 fsb 1:1 is not enough for me, so I am seriously considering Betta1 bios and Vcore mod. I might get away without vdimm mod since my rams worked @ normal voltage. I used 3-4-4-10. Any other settings I used, as said would post and run winxp, but will not pass prime95 torture test. I would like your inputs and see some results from you, specially if you have different rams that would give better results than what I've got. Thanks
http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=091020052213071wz.jpg

Last edited:
amdextreme said:
Good Job, soon i should be getting my mobo,,,
Thank you. But not happy.

CORDLESS MOUSE DOES NOT WORK W/ BETTA1 BIOS.
No it is not my mouse. It worked fine w/ the bios that came w/ the board.
I just downloaded BETTA1 but the cordless mouse did not work.
Now I am back to p 1.20 bios.
This is very bad news for those w/ cordless and want to take advantage of
overclocking ability of Betta 1 bios. what a poop.
RMA is in my mind now.
I mean, this is just F.. up. They put out a motherboard in market, and has issues w/ cold boot, then bios update, but not enough voltage for all AMD's to work properly.
then another bios w/ better oc ability but has issues w/ cordless mouse, and still not enough voltage. WHEN DOES IT END?

Edit: The cordless mouse is fixed. Betta1 bios has usb2 enable hidden, and had to enable it. bios came w/ board no proble w/ this. also bios p 1.20 by asrock is stable and the OCWworck becnh BIOS betta1 has too many bugs.
I only recommand using asrock bios. not some half *** internet forum's made bios.

Last edited:
I think my mobo got scared of being RMA'ed and decided to cooperate w/ me.
I am now able to OC 9x282=2538mhz, using 2-3-3-7. I ran it through Super-pi and passed all iterations.
SISandra mem bandwidth looks good w/ 90% efficiency. Here is the Screenshot for your review. This is not betta1 bios and as you can see the Vcore is the max value given. This proves that without voltmods this mobo can do the job if only had a good working bios. I cant understand why Asrock produced such a poor bios. They should know that all AMD CPU voltages are not the same, and some need at least 1.55v to overclock. If Asrock claims that this mobo is a good verclocker, then create a bios w/ enough voltage to make it possible. What are they afraid off? This ULi chip has gotten great reviews. Why ULi is not paying attention to this screw up? This can be detrimental to their success.
Anyways, i had to release my frusteration. Going back to tweaking. Hope I can reboot. But I am getting use to it. You gonna have to, if U are into OCing this mobo. nuf said

Thats the 1689 not the 1695 chipset on the gigabyte, completely different.

The fact is that this is still a budget mobo, it happens to have a chipset that OCs very well but asrock never designed this to overclock. They've given us the 1.20 bios and the beta1 bios is a very good alternative if you want to OC. The thing is it can provide higher voltages it just only allows you to increase it past the default by 0.05. If someone put a CPU in there which needed a higher default vCore eg. 4000 clawhammer which needs 1.5v default then the max would be 1.55.

I'm not complaining as I've got an amazing mobo with all the features for just £50. And its a half decent OCer to boot! If your really unhappy with the vCore just do the voltmod, its not that hard.

ochungry said:
I calculated my hardware's wattage and 298watts is all I need.
I have been using this psu for 6 months and it hasn't faield me yet. AMD specifies min 25watts for 12v rail, and this one is dual 12v rails totaling 29watts.
My agp card does not draw much power, and any video card under 85watts,
should work fine.

My power supply has dual 12v Rails as well. One cable is specifically marked PCI-Express. The outputs are 17A and 19A respectively. The stats for my specific PSU are here: http://www.antec.com/specs/SP500_spe.html

Does that look like it will do ok for the new board and a PCI-Express card eventually?

UPDATE: I ran the PSU Calculator and it said that I need 287w of power minimum. So, I guess I'm ok.

Last edited:
axess68 said:
My power supply has dual 12v Rails as well. One cable is specifically marked PCI-Express. The outputs are 17A and 19A respectively. The stats for my specific PSU are here: http://www.antec.com/specs/SP500_spe.html

Does that look like it will do ok for the new board and a PCI-Express card eventually?

UPDATE: I ran the PSU Calculator and it said that I need 287w of power minimum. So, I guess I'm ok.

yes, ur psu is awesme. np running 2 vid cards w/ it.

well still waiting for my Asrock board and 939 socket Athlon 64 3000+ processor, should be here tomorrow according to Fed Ex, been thinking, right now i have the MSI k8T Neo fsr board with 754 socket Athlon 64 2800+, would this really be an upgrade from the MSI board, being the MSI was a little more money too. wondering if there will be an increase in speed as well, what are my options besides the agp and pci express options, been reading alot on this topic, but still am a little confused, hmmmm... :shrug:

cons!!

Hey guys,

just read something about the 1T bug. A lot of people have problems running with 1T. Used Ram: Corsair,MDT,Twinmos,Geil
Here's an easy test, if you have that bug:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=5533914&postcount=116
Another test: Press [PRINT], go to paint.exe and do a paste. System should reboot now. Try more than one time, if it doesn't.

Another thing, that gives me the willies, is that ram only goes with 333 mhz in first two slots.

And last but not least, sata2 is still too buggy to use.

What do you think about this?

More here.
For those who can german, try this. (Asrock connections)

rox1co said:
would i be able to use this Hard Drive with this Mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144414
Yep, this motherboard is SATAII ready.

well still waiting for my Asrock board and 939 socket Athlon 64 3000+ processor, should be here tomorrow according to Fed Ex, been thinking, right now i have the MSI k8T Neo fsr board with 754 socket Athlon 64 2800+, would this really be an upgrade from the MSI board, being the MSI was a little more money too. wondering if there will be an increase in speed as well, what are my options besides the agp and pci express options, been reading alot on this topic, but still am a little confused, hmmmm...
You probably won't notice a great difference in performance, provided the only thing you change is the processor. And if you don't use AGP or PCIe than I guess your only choice left would be PCI.

funkycoldmedina said:
<SNIP>What do you think about this?<SNIP>
To be as gentle as possible, what I think is that
a.)you don't really grasp what you've been reading and
b.)your sources are neither compelling nor, in my view, credible

My recommendation to everyone is DO NOT USE BETTA1 or BETTA2 bios made by OCW.
USE the BIOS came w/ your board. Betta1 has too many bugs, not genuine asrock bios.
Why use some 1/2-*** forum made junk.
Also this board is not recommended for "just learned overclocking :santa: " and ready to hit the roof w/ it. there are too many variables you need to learn before trying this board. This mobo can easily overclock up to
25%-30% for those new to overclocking. I hear a lot of dumb complaints
such as "how to enable 1T", or " what is the difference between 1T and 2T".
If you have problem enabling 1T or not familiar w/ bios settings, don’t bother.
Those happy w/ 25% overclocking, will have greater chance succeeding w/ higher overclocking than those complaining and wanting more, and right away try anything to get them there.
Do not modify the mobo Vcore, or vdimm-Just be patient. The experts have shown, This board has potentials to oc more than 50%. Only bios bugs or lack of functions holding them back. These problems happen all the time w/ new boards. As said- just be patient, new bios updates will resolve the issues. You also have to become familiar w/ this board.
I for example, had problem passing 274 fsb, but now I am @ 285. why?, because I am still learning the tricks for this mobo and finding how to avoid bugs.
Anyone says "overclocked to 300fsb" ask him/her for SupePi 32M run, next to cpuz validation. Another word- dont believe it unless has proof of stability.
http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=101120051028088lr.jpg
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=42980

I noticed that the RAM that guy was using was bh5. Doesnt that have quite high power reqs? Or is that TCCD I get confused occasionally. Anyhow: this board doesn't have particuarlly high volts on it so that could be the problem. Get some lower voltage RAM and it might be alright. Just a theory.

Back