• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New ASRock Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks Karl Pell, but those are the exact drivers that are giving me the SCSI info. Will be gone for work all day today so I"ll figure it out when I get home. Learning experience.

RangerStew said:
Hey all,

Mobo got here today, along with the Hitachi Desktar 80GB SATA II HD. Have a problem though. The only way the mobo will recognize the HD is if it is running in IDE mode. So I installed WinXP onto that way. Once I had XP on it, I used the driver CD that came with the mobo to install the SATA II drivers. I restarted and changed it back to SATA mode in the BIOS. It booted up, but when it got to XP it tells me I have a SCSI HD! Not sure what is going on. I tried to follow the manuals instructions on installing the HD in SATA mode, but with no luck. Anyone else have similar issues?

Ps. Im a noob when it comes to HDs(always used regular ATA in the past) so forgive me for this question: How can you tell how fast your HD is running, as in how many mbps it is going?
On my A8V Deluxe mobo, IDE operating mode for a SATA controller is the correct choice if using individual SATA drives, i.e. no RAID array. IDE mode doesn't mean that your SATA drive is operating any slower than it should be. Does the computer boot from your SATA drive if you leave the operating mode on IDE? If so, then it's working fine.

The other thing that can cause problems is if the motherboard doesn't support SATA II. I'm not familiar with this ASRock board, but I know my A8V Deluxe doesn't support SATA II mode. If this is the case, you need to change some jumper settings on your SATA II drive so that it operates in SATA I mode. Hope this helps!

Yes, it supports SATA II. Thanks for that info Killr. Going to reinstall everything now and hopefully keep it from giving me that bogus info on the SCSi drives.

Not to crap all over this board, but I am having massive problems that I can't solve!

Random reboots. Never at full load - always when composing an email, surfing, etc.

No BSOD. I have set it to NOT reboot on fault and all it does is hard reset. Right to the POST screen.

High pitched squealing when USB was enabled. I replaced with a USB PCI card and it went away.

I have pretty much ruled out the following: Memory, CPU, Power Supply, USB, onboard serial, parallel. At this point it really has to be the board.

Here are my specs.

X2 3800+
Dual939-SATAII
X850XTPE AGP
Antec TruePower 550w
SiiG 2 port PCIe SATAII RAID card
2x Seagate 80GB SATA (on SiiG card)
1x Hitachi 160GB SATA (on SATA port 1 of board)
1x Maxtor 250GB SATA (on SATAII port of board)
2x NEC 3540a DVD+R (one on each MASTER IDE)
Cyberpower UPS

Thats pretty much it. It isn't heat - this thing is watercooled and hits like 40C at load.

Any insight at all would be great.

KillrBuckeye said:
No, no, no! :) This is the mistake I made when putting together my new system, and it wouldn't turn on! See this thread.

There should be another square 4-pin plug on your PSU. Use that one.

Whew! Thanks for catching that! I was thinking the extra was for a PCI-E and didn't catch that PCI-E uses a 6 pin connector! (Can you tell I don't have a PCI-E video card yet?? :D )

I found the right plug for it. Thanks again! That was close! I get the Processor early next week!

Ok, Im probably going to show my newbness here but here goes anyway. Got everything up and running ok with it and BF2 is playing much nicer than on my old ASUS A7V8x-x w/XP 2600+. So I decided to start some OCing. I do have Bios v 1.02. Well, I went to the CPU options under Advanced options and switched it to Manual. But all I get is the option to change it from x9 1800, to x10 2000 then x11 2200 and so on. Where are all the other options? Educate me, I willing to learn.

My ASUS board was so much easier to figure out.

The vcore mod seems easy enough that just about anyone can do it. Just bust out your conductive pen ala socket A days.

Hopefully, further bios will allow further options, but there's been talk that it's more of a hardware limitation rather than BIOS one (vcore and vdimm wise). Guess only time will tell.

Until then, I'm extremely interested in the results posted here. Keep 'er up.

hello all, well starting off small, but this is what i got so far:
--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------
--------[ Overclock ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU Properties:
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64
CPU Alias Venice S939
CPU Stepping DH-E3
CPUID CPU Name AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
CPUID Revision 00020FF0h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 1979.84 MHz
CPU Multiplier 9.0x
CPU FSB 219.98 MHz (original: 200 MHz, overclock: 10%)
Memory Bus 141.42 MHz

CPU Cache:
L1 Code Cache 64 KB (Parity)
L1 Data Cache 64 KB (ECC)
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, ECC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 62-120-0000010-00101111-082605-ALI$939M2120_939DUAL-SATA2 BIOS P1.20
Motherboard Name ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 1 AGP, 1 Future CPU Port, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset ULi/ALi M1689, AMD Hammer
Memory Timings 2.5-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
Command Rate (CR) 2T

SPD Memory Modules:
DIMM1: Corsair VS1GB400C3 1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)

BIOS Properties:
System BIOS Date 08/26/05
Video BIOS Date 05/01/11
DMI BIOS Version P1.20

Graphics Processor Properties:
Video Adapter Sapphire Radeon 9550
GPU Code Name RV350 (AGP 8x 1002 / 4153, Rev 00)
GPU Clock 300 MHz (original: 250 MHz, overclock: 20%)
Memory Clock 220 MHz (original: 200 MHz, overclock: 10%)
will be back again, hehe

I'm such a big dummy. :shrug: :shrug: Forget I said anything! Figured it out.
Got it at 2.03 Ghz just for giggles. Will test more this weekend when I have time to mess with it.

Great board so far. Only problems I have had have been from my own ignorance.

I just ordered my AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Core CPU and it should arrive by mid next week if all goes well.

How far can I overclock this CPU safely. I've seen results in this thread, but I just need a simple answer. If any of you have the same CPU, how far did you get it with it being stable? Which settings do I change in the BIOS, etc?

Funky,

First make sure it is connected to the SATA II Connector, which is solid red, and right below the RAM. Being new to SATA, I had plugged mine in at the other SATA plugins which are black and for SATA I only.

Enter your bios, go to advanced options, and under IDE configuration, go down to the SATA II option, and set it to IDE mode. If your HD was in a RAID config, then it would stay on SATA mode, but if it is solo, put it on IDE. What brand HD is it? Mine is Hitachi, and the Hitachi website has a tool that will enable the SATA II.

Im clueless when it comes to tweaking memory, so Im sure I'll have some questions coming this way this evening when I get off work.

Last edited:
OCing Problems

Hey guys, I'm having some overclocking problems. I've updated the bios to 1.2 and I can't overclock. I go into bios and set the multiplier higher, save changes, and when I boot into windows and exe cpu z it says I'm runing 1.8Ghz (I have a Venice 3000+). Look at my specs and please give me a hand.

Hey all, I picked up the dual sataII- 939 board.
I have a quick question or two, checked the manual for answers, could not fine.

are the pci slots automatically locked for overclocking?

if I did have a pciE video card what would i set it for? async or sync?

BTW I am using an AGP now.

also, can you use an AGP and PCIE card together? i know no type of sli or anything would work, i was thinking more multi monitor..

thanks..

Nostromo

HighFlowRod said:
Hey guys, I'm having some overclocking problems. I've updated the bios to 1.2 and I can't overclock. I go into bios and set the multiplier higher, save changes, and when I boot into windows and exe cpu z it says I'm runing 1.8Ghz (I have a Venice 3000+). Look at my specs and please give me a hand.

have you tried setting your FSB settings??

and also...just to make sure you might want to try another cpu info. program, here is a link to a few,,http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=9&sort=25

ochungry said:
<snip>
A Tip- The NB and SB links speed (HTT) is directly proportional
to the CPU fsb. The final HTT should be close to 1000-1150mhz.
Here is the ratio. HTT is 5x200=1000mhz. So if you choose 800 HTT in setting,
the ratio would be 800/1000=0.8, multiply it by your new CPU fsb:
0.8x270=216, multiplied by 5=1080mhz, final HTT.
Formula: new HTT=(HTT setting/1000) x (new CPU fsb) x (5)[/LEFT]

Edited: So Sorry for bad link. I just noticed and now f...ing above is using the 4X divider not the 5X.

LordDarik said:
Has anyone used high voltage RAM with this board? I'm wanting to run some Crucial Ballistix in it but don't know if the voltage will be good enough.
The "High" setting was measured by NPlack @ Rebel's Haven and it was putting out 2.71v.

Back