• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New ASRock Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DeadSmiley said:
I did the volt mod for the CPU. It seemed to help me get a little more out of it even if I didn't the max volts.

It's really pretty easy to do. ;)

I did not do the VDIMM volt mod.

Definitely set your RAM to run at T2. That's pretty much a given. A few have gotten it to work at T1, but not many...

Can you point me in the direction of the volt mod for the CPU? Does it just supply more then the stock 1.4 volts?

the vcore mod is probably the simpilist vcore mod avaliable on any board ever. Just a small bit of conductive paint and you have vcore up to 1.55, plus you get to keep your standard voltages too. Ram is a differant question.

Also i run my ram at 1T all the time with no problems.

See this thread for volt mods http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=440021&highlight=volt+mod
Use the OCworkbench vcore mod. The mod is done just above the cpu socket

ImprtRcr said:
Can you point me in the direction of the volt mod for the CPU? Does it just supply more then the stock 1.4 volts?

Your BIOS and board will supply vcore up to 1.450 v (I think) for that chip. Vcore normally isn't a problem with decent overclocks. Make sure you set your vdimm in the BIOS to "High."

If you do the vcore mod, watch your temps!

I never had any problems running 1T with my ASRock DS2, maybe I was just one of the lucky ones? :shrug:

I had OCZ Gold at 245Mhz 2.5-4-4-7 1T, and Corsair XMS PC4400 at 270Mhz 2.5-4-4-8 1T. I had the vdimm mod though, so was getting adequate voltage.

For some reason I always found with this board that performance RAM will never quite run at its rated speed, I always had to lower it by 5-10Mhz, regardless of 1T vs. 2T. That confused me...

I used this board to build two different rigs for family members with Venice 3200+ chips and Corsair VS RAM. Both are overclocked to 2400 MHz and have been running strong for almost two years now. I never even bothered with OCing the RAM, because it makes almost no difference on socket 939 systems unless you are really into your benchmark scores. For most users, CPU speed is what it's all about, so I kept their RAM running at stock speed and 2T timing. I figure they're much less likely to run into problems that way (less work for me :) ).

KillrBuckeye said:
I used this board to build two different rigs for family members with Venice 3200+ chips and Corsair VS RAM. Both are overclocked to 2400 MHz and have been running strong for almost two years now. I never even bothered with OCing the RAM, because it makes almost no difference on socket 939 systems unless you are really into your benchmark scores. For most users, CPU speed is what it's all about, so I kept their RAM running at stock speed and 2T timing. I figure they're much less likely to run into problems that way (less work for me :) ).

KB,

Agree, I still have some of your notes! I've run at reduced multipliers (11X) to see what I could get from the RAMS and 5:6 dividers just to test the CPU. I've had these RAM's up to 244 MHz (2.95v) on a reduced multiplier but it's just not worth stressing them that much unless you have much better cooling. I know these Patriots will do a lot more but RAM and CPU cooling became an issue and I can't replace these RAMs now easily. So why give the RAMs 2.95v+ @ 244 MHz running very hot when the results were the same with default multiplier (12X) @ 2.82v 219 MHz where I am now? SuperPi 32MB ran the same within a 3 seconds. CPU speed rules! I don't even need these premium Patriots but they are the best RAMs I ever owned. OCHungry's volt mods were more than enough for anything I wanted to do, they are first class.

I can get 2750 MHz with these RAMs 1:1 with a kick of vcore to 1.375v with premium cooling. Not worth it to me.

When it was all over and done with, I just run it all lazily at what's in my sig, no stress, no fuss, all stable, no problems but I had to get it all out of my system first! It all depends on the individual and what you want to do.

RollingThunder said:
KB,

Agree, I still have some of your notes! I've run at reduced multipliers (11X) to see what I could get from the RAMS and 5:6 dividers just to test the CPU. I've had these RAM's up to 244 MHz (2.95v) on a reduced multiplier but it's just not worth stressing them that much unless you have much better cooling. I know these Patriots will do a lot more but RAM and CPU cooling became an issue and I can't replace these RAMs now easily. So why give the RAMs 2.95v+ @ 244 MHz running very hot when the results were the same with default multiplier (12X) @ 2.82v 219 MHz where I am now? SuperPi 32MB ran the same within a 3 seconds. CPU speed rules! I don't even need these premium Patriots but they are the best RAMs I ever owned. OCHungry's volt mods were more than enough for anything I wanted to do, they are first class.

I can get 2750 MHz with these RAMs 1:1 with a kick of vcore to 1.375v with premium cooling. Not worth it to me.

When it was all over and done with, I just run it all lazily at what's in my sig, no stress, no fuss, all stable, no problems but I had to get it all out of my system first! It all depends on the individual and what you want to do.
You're right--it depends on what you want to do. Some people want to push the memory as far as it will go just for the fun of it and a few extra points / shaved seconds in benchmarks, even though the performance benefit is very minimal. In fact, I did this when I first got my Ballistix, but the novelty of having RAM that could run 1:1 quickly faded when I repeatedly ran into stability problems. Recently, after my 4th set of Ballistix died, I gave up on them completely and bought some Corsair VS. My system now runs a heck of a lot better with this cheapo memory than it ever did with the Ballistix! I'm not even bothering with an RMA on the Ballistix because I'm certain they'll just die again in a matter of months.

Good points all the way around.

OCZ 2-2-2-5 was way to fast for this computer and required to much power, and even though I down-clocked it to 3-3-3-8, it still ran like poop at PC2100 speed and gave me low scores :-/ . The Corsair VS boosted my score an extra 100 in 3dmark06 and gave me the 245 frequency I was looking for. Running strong now @2.45MHz and 4400 flat in 3dmark06 thanks to reading this long ol' thread and my brother helping me out.

This is kind of a corny question, but does running SATA2 help with scores?

That volt mod looks kinda hard if you ask me...

ImprtRcr said:
Good points all the way around.

OCZ 2-2-2-5 was way to fast for this computer and required to much power, and even though I down-clocked it to 3-3-3-8, it still ran like poop at PC2100 speed and gave me low scores :-/ . The Corsair VS boosted my score an extra 100 in 3dmark06 and gave me the 245 frequency I was looking for. Running strong now @2.45MHz and 4400 flat in 3dmark06 thanks to reading this long ol' thread and my brother helping me out.

This is kind of a corny question, but does running SATA2 help with scores?

That volt mod looks kinda hard if you ask me...

The volt mods aren't for the faint of heart, at least not my heart! I didn't do mine, they were done fore me but they aren't like the ones shown in the URL. I'm not that skilled to attempt it and there is always some risk.

The high end boards don't need these volt mods.

Not my heart either, who did you have do yours? Someone locally or did you ship it to someone here on the boards that is a trusted modder?

ImprtRcr said:
Not my heart either, who did you have do yours? Someone locally or did you ship it to someone here on the boards that is a trusted modder?

One of the best guys here on this Asrock board, OCHungry. He's around but not as often as he was.

Nice! I was not able to use my 2-2-2-5 OCZ Gold Edition ram with this board, everytime I overclocked my CPU, it would go down to 166MHz... wierd.

On the other hand, this Corsair VS ram works great and I get my 247MHz out of it with my CPU nicely overclocked.

On another note, how come my sig wont show up ?:confused:
Edit: Nevermind :D , must have been a time thing.

I have recently got a hold of one of these boards. My CPU is an AMD64 4000+ standard @ 2.4ghz but am running it @ 3.01ghz. I have set 250htt with the Ram running at DDR400 and overclock is @ async mode so the AGP/PCIe is locked. I cant seem to get windows to boot at all or my system is crashing after an the htt is increased to 255 or over. My voltage is set at the max for the 4000+ which is 1.4v. Everything remains very cool and my system never gets over 45 degrees celcius.

I am a newb, so i would appreciate if anyone could help me out.

Im running a 450watt psu which shuold be sufficient enough. My main goal is to increase the FPS on my games. Im currently sitting on a 3dmark05 score of 7279 also with my BFG7800gs clocked at 525/700 (standard = 400/625)

I have recently got a hold of one of these boards. My CPU is an AMD64 4000+ standard @ 2.4ghz but am running it @ 3.01ghz. I have set 250htt with the Ram running at DDR400 and overclock is @ async mode so the AGP/PCIe is locked. I cant seem to get windows to boot at all or my system is crashing after an the htt is increased to 255 or over. My voltage is set at the max for the 4000+ which is 1.4v. Everything remains very cool and my system never gets over 45 degrees celcius.

Im running a 450watt psu which shuold be sufficient enough. My main goal is to increase the FPS on my games. Im currently sitting on a 3dmark05 score of 7279 also with my BFG7800gs clocked at 525/700 (standard = 400/625)

What are your RAMs, default timings, and their voltage requirements? What's your power supply? Can you post a photo of your chipset and CPU/memory BIOS screen settings? Do you have your dram voltage set to "high"? What's wrong with 3 GHz?

Your CPU is probably not getting enough voltage for your OC. Also I have noticed something kinda funky with these boards, every time I want to restart my computer or change anything in BIOS and need a restart, it will not restart on command or boot up with new changes I have made to BIOS.

Try doing whatever it is that you want to change in BIOS, in this case, a higher overclock on your CPU, hit the F10 key to save the changes and at that point your computer will want to restart.

It will not boot the first time, BUT, if you just hold down your power button and power it off that way, wait until your hardrive completly stops spinning and then restart it, it should boot up with your new settings. If it does not, then it might mean it can not hold those settings.

This just might be my expierience but it never hurts to try it.

That's seconded. There are several tweaks that may (or may not) work with this board.

In my experience though, this board has really proved a tough one (edit: to kill). :santa:

Last edited:
That's seconded. There are several tweaks that may (or may not) work with this board.

In my experience though, this board has really proved a tough one. :santa:

Yep, high overclocks have a tendency to not have the board boot or not shutdown conventionally the first time or even on several tries. However, I never had a problem with BIOS settings not being saved with F10.

Usually, if you drop the overclock, it performs normally. It was explained to me that the capcitors need to be drained but pulling the 20 and 12v 4 pin power connectors and leave it sit a few hours. I have found on two AMD chips (this one and an A64 3500) that at about a 10% overclock is where this begins to happen. That's why I'm at about a 9% overclock! :)

Asr, wasn't that you who told me to try draining capacitors by pulling those power connectors some time ago? I know it's in this thread sometime back.

Yeah, twas me. Just my speculation though, and what worked for me. Although, I'm lazy now too, and have cut my oc back. Slowed down fans, etc and have it nice and quite now.

note: previous post editted to reflect my meaning. "tough to kill"
Although was it you that killed one RT?

Edit: none related note:

I'm very sad to annouce that I have gotten rid of my AM2 Board. I grabbed one around june this summer with intentions of using it, but my wife has been leaning heavily on me to retire. Unfortunately that includes getting rid of my hobbies that won't work so well with water (she wants to sail).

Last edited:
Yeah, twas me. Just my speculation though, and what worked for me. Although, I'm lazy now too, and have cut my oc back. Slowed down fans, etc and have it nice and quite now.

note: previous post editted to reflect my meaning. "tough to kill"
Although was it you that killed one RT?

Yeah, first board blew transistors when I plugged the +4 pin into the 12V.................:( Your speculation worked for me too. I still owe you a cold one for that!

After getting the big overclocks out of my system with the weeks of testing in between using this rig, I backed it all off to a nice, quiet setup. Learned a lot, some not good! :D

Back