• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New ASRock Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Raven,

I don't know if it's related your your problem or not but the USB ports in the back caused me major issues with freezing. I had an APC battery backed plugged into it. I know the Asrock manual mentions this specifically and I contacted their support and they gave me a solution but it never worked for me.

Your symptoms were not like mine with beep errors or vid card issues so I really don't know if it's related to your problem.

Personally, perhaps an RMA is best way way to go. They don't make this board anymore so you may get something comparable from them. I don't know what they are sending out now as replcement RMAs for the Asrock Dual SATAII boards.

I'll try unplugging all USB at the back and get back. What was the solution they gave to you?

But I still think it's dimm B:

http://kalnet.kalshadowtech.com/php/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=2083
http://kalnet.kalshadowtech.com/php/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=2082
http://kalnet.kalshadowtech.com/php/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=2081

Dimm B didn't even make 5 minutes on its own. Massive errors and then it locked. I'll got try running it again without USB on the back.

Did it say anything about using the onboard (ie. header) USB? Cuz my DVD is in an eternal caddy hooked up by USB. It also does firewire, but that'll be a pain for me.

I'll try unplugging all USB at the back and get back. What was the solution they gave to you?

But I still think it's dimm B:

http://kalnet.kalshadowtech.com/php/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=2083
http://kalnet.kalshadowtech.com/php/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=2082
http://kalnet.kalshadowtech.com/php/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=2081

Dimm B didn't even make 5 minutes on its own. Massive errors and then it locked. I'll got try running it again without USB on the back.

Did it say anything about using the onboard (ie. header) USB? Cuz my DVD is in an eternal caddy hooked up by USB. It also does firewire, but that'll be a pain for me.

Raven,

I think you're right, I can't see a relation to the USB issues but stranger things have happened. Asrock support told me to enable Legacy USB in the BIOS and my issues were only related to the on board USB ports. I enabled Legacy USB and there was no difference, intermittent freezing and to me, it's unrelated to your issues. I think you have proven that already.

My front USBs are fine but I only use them for digital camera download.

Interesting.

I have a printer, mouse and a web cam plugged into the back USB's and haven't had issues.

I use a flash drive, camera and USB HD in the front USB's as well.

I had a problem using my OCZ memory with this board, I think my problem was that it was taking to much power to run them properly. I put in some Value Select memory and its been great since.

I had a problem using my OCZ memory with this board, I think my problem was that it was taking to much power to run them properly. I put in some Value Select memory and its been great since.

Imprt,

You're right, it's probably not enough vdimm. If your OCZ memory requires 2.8v, that's your problem. Even worse if you try to overclock. The board only puts out about 2.7v and slightly less under load (~ 2.66v). I've been through this and until one of the guys did volt mods for me, performance memory or overclocking was a test of wills!

With enough voltage, this board ran three different brands of good memory without a problem.

Interesting.

I have a printer, mouse and a web cam plugged into the back USB's and haven't had issues.

I use a flash drive, camera and USB HD in the front USB's as well.

Smiley,

Geez, I tried everything attemping to use the rear on board USB ports with no luck. Machine would just freeze up at various times and had to drain the caps and reset everything in the BIOS. Maybe it's me.. :confused:

I really wonder what the reason for some people's USB port issues is. I use all the onboard (plus 2 top ones) and have never had issues. Quirky.

This board seems to have died in one of the rigs I built for a family member. :mad: I had the opportunity to troubleshoot the problem while I was visiting him over the weekend, and all signs point to the mobo. The symptom is refusal to boot from or access the single SATA hard drive that is attached. Sometimes the BIOS does not even detect the drive. When it does detect the drive and attempt to boot from it, no error messages are displayed--there is just a blank screen with a flashing cursor at the upper left. I am able to boot from an optical drive on a PATA channel, but when I try to run Western Digital hard drive diagnostics I get a "No Drive Detected" message.

I tried a new SATA cable and a brand new SATA hard drive, both without success. The symptoms were exactly the same. I tried connecting the drive to all SATA channels, including the SATA150 1&2, and the SATA300 port. I tried both RAID and IDE mode on the SATA channels. I cleared the CMOS memory. Nothing worked.

At this point there is nothing more I can do, so I have regretfully suggested the following options: 1) Try an IDE-to-SATA converter and try to use the drive on a PATA channel (hopefully the existing Windows installation will work okay in this configuration). 2) Replace the motherboard. Since this board is no longer offered, a fresh installation of windows will be required. :( He lives in Kansas while I'm in Michigan, so there's not much I can do aside from giving tech support over the phone. A motherboard replacement is a tall task from a computer-building newbie. What a mess.

I feel very bad because I convinced him in the first place to let me build a machine for him, and this is the second major problem he has encountered (the original video card went bad a couple of months ago). I know it's just one bad motherboard, but I've never had one die on me before (by itself), so I will be staying away from ASRock products in the future.

I know it's just one bad motherboard, but I've never had one die on me before (by itself),

Personally, I enjoy it. But to the topic at hand.

Does he run a cd drive? I'm going to assume so, in which case its probably worthwhile to add a sata/ide adapter. There cheap, and handy. Test all the IDE ports first.

Also, it might be worth a shot to test the drive itself elsewhere. Tis possible the drive went out and took the ports w/ it, or the reverse.

bump for me to find easier. Lots of catching up to do!! Just about to rehook this bad boy back up after being out of comission for over a year!

can't remember where everything goes again! aaaah this is what happens when you lose high speed internet for a year and it sits in a closet taking all the parts out for other PCs!

Argghhhh!
:beer:

Good you have it back out, Tell us how it works after storage. And remember to clean the dust out first.

Just wanted to say that it's 2 years later. I still have all three motherboards running and everything is working just fine.

The only issue I have had is my son's machine won't run Mech Commander 2 and mine will! This is very odd.
Other than that, these have performed flawlessly for two years. :)

I have to aggree! Get 2GB of RAM. I bought 2GB for my Asrock because my friends that play WoW have 2GB and say it makes a difference. I stuck the new RAM in my Shuttle mobo in my rig below and it made a big difference in WoW. It was very noticable when I alt-tab out to check something on thottbot. If any of you have played WoW you know that Ironforge is bad. It used to make my HD churn like a cement truck. Not anymore. :)

The only down side is that now I wonder if I really needed that AMD 3800+ X2 upgrade. Of course I do other things besides play WoW.

Just wanted to say that it's 2 years later. I still have all three motherboards running and everything is working just fine.

The only issue I have had is my son's machine won't run Mech Commander 2 and mine will! This is very odd.
Other than that, these have performed flawlessly for two years. :)

DS,

Aside from my own ignorance, OC Hungry's volt mods and the help of the guys in this thread, this board has been running very well for the last 18 months with its known shortcomings! :thup:

RT,

I like this board, warts and all. I upgraded my daughter's video card from a 6000GT (AGP) to a 7600GS (PCIe) and had no issues at all. Granted, it wasn't that much of an upgrade, but the swap was seamless and painless. I have very few complaints with the board. :)

I was having network issues and got nervous (thought my board was dying) - ending up being a driver issue with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 - I picked up a DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D fast off ebay when I saw I couldn't find a good replacement for the ASRock - the "D" is a lot of fun but it made me realize just how good this board is/was... my son has several of these boards doing video editing where he works running almost non-stop for over a year now :beer:

I was having network issues and got nervous (thought my board was dying) - ending up being a driver issue with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 - I picked up a DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D fast off ebay when I saw I couldn't find a good replacement for the ASRock - the "D" is a lot of fun but it made me realize just how good this board is/was... my son has several of these boards doing video editing where he works running almost non-stop for over a year now :beer:

Hey Squito,

Long time, no see here!

I agree, with the few warts this board has, they are workable when you realize what they are and it's plain and simple. I need that! If mine ever craps out, not sure what I'll do because I like it and want to keep the Opteron running even as a third rig if needed. OC Hungry's mods have been awesome!

If it wasn't for you guys, I would have committed Hari-Kiri a long time ago! :)

Last edited:
Hey Squito,

Long time, no see here!

I agree, with the few warts this board has, they are workable when you realize what they are and it's plain and simple. I need that! If mine ever craps out, not sure what I'll do because I like it and want to keep the Opteron running even as a third rig if needed. OC Hungry's mods have been awesome!

If it wasn't for you guys, I would have committed Hari-Kiri a long time ago! :)

PS: Don't ask why I am a Senior............I have no clue and it certainly wasn't because I'm smart. :confused:

Hey RT - it's nice to this thread is still going (still subscribed) - my ASRock will come to life again soon - I'm sure of that :)

Here's to a great piece of hardware and to all the guys that shared/share their experiences here :beer:

Asrock Dual SATA2 Band of Brothers!

Hey RT - it's nice to this thread is still going (still subscribed) - my ASRock will come to life again soon - I'm sure of that :)

Here's to a great piece of hardware and to all the guys that shared/share their experiences here :beer:

Here's to us and those like us! Damn few left. :beer: :D
Suscribed forever. :)

Attachments

• Asrock Band of Brothers.jpg
    Asrock Band of Brothers.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 267
The problem I described in post 1868 ended up being the fault of the motherboard. After replacing the ASRock board with an Asus A8V-XE, operation returned to normal.

Wow, people are still posting about this board! and can you believe, people, (well, me) are still buying them. i magnaged to get one off e-bay for £40, it will be here next week sometime. i cannot wait to get it up and running.

There ais another thread on this board, thats about 58 pages, i've been reading through it the past week or so, loads of great info!

I will be putting a opty146 cabge in to begin with, and a 1950proAGP saphire. with 2 gig of generic RAM,

What Bios' are out, what do people use nowadays??

Back