• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock help FX6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
please reread post# 147.

Got it open in a new tab now.

ok, we are now fully overclocked.
in aquamark, look at the cpu score 23284/23382, it improved.
lower the cpu clock .5 then raise the target cpu speed to 4.6 with the fsb and run it and post it. do this till it crashes then back the fsb back 2.
I will look in tuesday, good night.

Until what crashes? My OS or Aqua? cuz OS crashes scare me lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddi daddi View Post
ok, we are now fully overclocked.
in aquamark, look at the cpu score 23284/23382, it improved.
lower the cpu clock .5 then raise the target cpu speed to 4.6 with the fsb and run it and post it. do this till it crashes then back the fsb back 2.
I will look in tuesday, good night.

Until what crashes? My OS or Aqua? cuz OS crashes scare me lol = Perhaps either or one of the two. If crashes bother you then maybe you are already fast enough and can and should leave off further attempts to push your speed. You have not experienced the failures that normally accompany most attempts to overclock. Failed Prime 95 Blend, in that a worker stops but often the computer reboots itself or even P95 Blend freezes. All are sort of a crash or lock-up or some oddity.

I notice caddi daddi mentioned the three BSOD and then RE-install windows. He might have gotten that idea from me. A few years ago, I benchmarked day and night. I pushed my parts and pieces to their limit and adjusted and tried to push a little more. IF I had 3 BSODs, I then put a saved image of the operating system back onto my hard drive and then benchmarked again using an operating system that had not been crashed. Something many of us older benchers learned to do. That way we kept a clean and fast operating system in use all the time. Well short of 3 BSODs.

There are many things that us older heads learned on our own. Most of us never went into a forum and posted up asking how to overclock. We read and read and tested and tried and tested some more. We learned the overclocking thing pretty darn deeply. So crashes don't really bother us. We have taken precautions against BSODs and other things that can happen when we overclock. Now that I don't push my stuff by the hour, I make images of my operating system every two weeks. Then I am somewhat protected against the un-expected failure. Be it a failed hard drive or cpu or similar.

Personally I think you should be testing your overclock upward with Prime95 Blend mode. Each upward increase should be tested with Prime 95 Blend mode for at least 20 mins to determine if a worker fails or something else not good happens. This testing should be doen with HWMonitor open and logging Max Temps and Voltages while P95 Blend is running. Then post a capture of that HWMonitor to the forum "along with" a capture of CPUz > CPU TAB and also the Memory Tab. That way we can see what the progress actually is since we are not in front of your monitor.

So caddi daddi has said crash when that can mean a number of different things. Some of those things somewhat more serious than others. However the situation is the same. Fear of crashes is okay I suppose but it also makes one wonder about the wiseness of overclocking anyway.
RGone...

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

+1 Rgone.
well, we have reached the limits of what I will do with others rigs, 4.6 on air or the mid 50's on the package temp. time for the others to step in and help tune your rig.
the fsb will run from a low of around 195 all the way to 300 or so.
play with it all and enjoy.

Well. i can say i came here not knowing much at all about overclocking (since me trying to read up on it was a failure seeing as everything i read required some background experience with over clocking).

Im at 4.6GHz Something higher than I expected to be able to do on air cooling. The help I experienced from both Caddi Daddi and Rgone is WAY higher than i thought I'd get. Overall Im actually very happy I came here. When I get water cooling (if i can get the damn thing to fit) Ill more than likely try to increase a little.

@RGone: I guess its not so much that Im scared of crashing, as more scared of permanent damage I suppose (but saying i want to over clock kinda contradicts my worries doesnt it? haha) I guess thats why i was looking for help here and not aiming for too big of a goal to kind of give my self some cushion of protection.

@caddi daddi: Your time helping me has been a fun learning experience and was not expecting the amount of step by step time consuming help that showed that you actually wanted to help me achieve this. you have my respect

This entire forum thread will make me come back to this site over and over for any questions or issues that ever arise.

...Now i just gotta figure out why my GPU cards are being retarded..... know where i can go to pin point this?

also, when i get the new RAM, will i have to change anything in the BIOS? i know we messed with a memory setting a few steps back

There's a good Nvidia forum for the cards. What seems to be the problem?
With the new memory you will have to set the timings and frequency manually, assuming that you're probably getting something faster. When you first install it, go into bios right a way and set the frequency, voltage and the main timings. It should start right up afterwards.

There's a good Nvidia forum for the cards. What seems to be the problem?
With the new memory you will have to set the timings and frequency manually, assuming that you're probably getting something faster. When you first install it, go into bios right a way and set the frequency, voltage and the main timings. It should start right up afterwards.

Im getting 1866MHz RAM so yes its a good step up. Is there a specific way to find out where i want it to be set? (like the values)

And Caddi Daddi had said my SLI is wonky, says one card is doing all the work while the other "is lazier than him"

I had noticed a few months ago a decent FPS drop. In warthunder i averaged about a good 100FPS constant, now im at 60. Which is still good but it makes you wonder what happened.

If you have the ram model # you can find the spec at the site. There should be something on a sticker or other that's included with the ram. The first four setting, command rate and voltage are the important ones.
Sli can be tricky. Have you updated drivers since then. If so you need to re-enable the sli in Nvidia control panel. I can give you some help if you like> Check the control panel first and make sure 1. that SLI is available and 2. it's enabled.
I just checked further back and your gpuz is showing 2 cards enabled. Do you have another bridge you can try?

If you have the ram model # you can find the spec at the site. There should be something on a sticker or other that's included with the ram. The first four setting, command rate and voltage are the important ones.
Sli can be tricky. Have you updated drivers since then. If so you need to re-enable the sli in Nvidia control panel. I can give you some help if you like> Check the control panel first and make sure 1. that SLI is available and 2. it's enabled.

Yeah my first instinct was to check to see if SLI was enabled since I had the issue before. It is indeed enabled

Aquamark isn't the best bench to check 3D performance. Do you have Unigine heaven4.0 or the new 3d mark. Also I mentioned drivers earlier. If you have changed drivers at some point that could have affected your game. Some drivers will fix SLI say for FARCRY3 and it'll break it for another title.

I added this after. Also double check power connections

I actually dont. Just the stock flexible ASUS orange SLI bridge. Ive also swapped the cards around after installing the 6300. Is it possible that one of them is dying?

Not likely that one is dead. Double check connections and make sure they're seated. You didn't put them in different slots did you? You have to have them in 1 and 3 on that board. Download heaven 4.0 and do a run with SLI and one without see what kind of difference it shows.

Not likely that one is dead. Double check connections and make sure they're seated. You didn't put them in different slots did you? You have to have them in 1 and 3 on that board. Download heaven 4.0 and do a run with SLI and one without see what kind of difference it shows.

yeah slot 1 and 3, seated nice and firm.

One other thing you can check in the Nvidia control panel is the 3D application settings. Look for the game you were talking about and see what if any Nvidia was choosing for settings. Set for high performance and SLI on global settings (nvidia recommended) then check the global settings tab and see what that setting is.

I have actually noticed its in alot of games now. Alot of games I know I used to get higher FPS on are a tad lower than usual :\ only games that run BETTER than before are Arma 2 and Arma 3 due to them being CPU intensive

You really never have told me if you changed drivers any time in there. They really do make a huge difference. Nvidia like AMD has adopted a one driver fits all mentality. Your cards are 4 generations old. The newer drivers are typically optimized for newer hardware and game titles. I have a collection of "My favourite drivers" and I always keep them around.
If you haven't installed any drivers since your cpu update then maybe you should. Drivers can be very quirky and most of the time they're at the root of the problem.

Just for arguments sake. Download driver sweeper, Uninstall your current drivers andd restart in safe mode then run driver sweeper and remove the display, physx and hd audio basically anything that comes in the driver packsge the 3d stuff too. . Restart and reinstall ( I do a custom install and deselect the audio and 3d stuff my audio goes through the board and 3d well....). your drivers. See if that helps.

You really never have told me if you changed drivers any time in there. They really do make a huge difference. Nvidia like AMD has adopted a one driver fits all mentality. Your cards are 4 generations old. The newer drivers are typically optimized for newer hardware and game titles. I have a collection of "My favourite drivers" and I always keep them around.
If you haven't installed any drivers since your cpu update then maybe you should. Drivers can be very quirky and most of the time they're at the root of the problem.

Just for arguments sake. Download driver sweeper, Uninstall your current drivers andd restart in safe mode then run driver sweeper and remove the display, physx and hd audio basically anything that comes in the driver packsge the 3d stuff too. . Restart and reinstall ( I do a custom install and deselect the audio and 3d stuff my audio goes through the board and 3d well....). your drivers. See if that helps.

Oh my gawd. Now you coaching there "Johan". :clap: :bday:
RGone...ster.

i know for sure i had updated my drivers a while ago, re-enabled sli and didnt see a difference. The perf. loss was on a normal day. but when I get home ill definitely try that. Would you suggest seeing if the driver CD the cards came with do anything? Because if its a driver thing I would think that going back to an earlier one would be better yeah?

Back