• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reinvent the wheel ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok we do not have stores,, we have mail order, we can redo the paste with the white stuff ,, thanks ,,
have a good time ,, now I'M making tacos for daniel :thup:

Were the tacos good? Our's came from Taco Bell but they were edible.

White stuff? The silver stuff is probably better. A good quality thermal paste can make 3-4 degrees difference.

trents ,,
Daniel decided he want curry spaghatti and linguine , i am the cook for three.

white stuff is the artic alumina,, what would be the optimin cooler to get ?
we run the 3dmark06 our score is 15589.
Daniel said his Flight Sim and Fable game improved switching out of cool n quiet, hey we also disabled C1E.

WHATS NEXT ?

the girls took over the pc tonight dan is asleep , i moved a fan , and moved the cooler around gentely . Dan and i will try the white stuff in the morning.

i found the fan newegg is about $23 ups to send it here , i know EXcaliberPC will send it usps i'm checking their site .
not letting a cooler slow us down .

well i narrowed it down to two coolers , higmatek hdt-s1283 or ocz vendetta,, all the reviews are top notch products ,, both have the same cooling design .
higmatek is a fine German built cooler , ocz is a bit smaller . i need to check for space, but the higmatek is getting 1st pick so far.

i found some great deals also. its not a deal breaker i can always use the zalman cooler on my PC.
really like to max Dans out so he can get the taste ,, he said the graphics are better now and speed

hey ,, thank you very much trents!

The OCZ vendetta was a highly rated cooler a couple years ago. It is very similar to the Sunbeam I referenced earlier. Would you have to remove the motherboard to install the Vendetta or the other German one you mentioned? Most of the top coolers use a bolt through mounting mechanism which requires you to install a back plate on the underside of the motherboard. I didn't know if you wanted to hassle with that.

Check out the Coolermaster Hyper 212+. Its a very potent cooler for a great price, usually less than $30 on-line. The important think is to read the reviews that compare coolers head to head with each other. The reviews that have them compared in graph form are the most helpful to me but I can't seem to find any of those this morning.

I think this is helpful: http://www.hardware-revolution.com/b...rs-march-2011/

But I would redo the paste on the one you have first and see if that helps. It may make a big difference. Remember the dollup method I outline earlier. This avoids the problem of skin oil and air bubbles getting mixed in with the paste as typically happens when you spread it with a finger, things that can insulate rather than conduct. And the coffee filter, being a paper product with a hard finish to it avoids fibers that paper towels, kleenex and soft cloths may leave behind on the surfaces when you clean them.

Last edited:
Mike, I might suggest you start a new thread now that your build is complete. This one has gotten very long. When they get real long it can discourage new people from offering input as they assume everything that can be said has been said. So I would suggest starting a new thread dealing with your cooler issue or specifically with overclocking your new build. It might also be better to start the new thread over in the Cooling section or the CPU section of the forum.

OK your right , i am looking at the side by side reviews they seem to use very specfic ways to create temperture for testing. my concern is size and weight, weight being the most problematic for the motherboard.
we are cleaning the 955 with 100% isopropyl alcohol to avoid chemcial problems with the new artic alumina and q-tips with gun cleaning patches.
i will look though this site for cooler recomendations also.
taking the pc apart is not a concern we need the exercise ha hah .

ok , this thread is huge we can start a new one ,, reinvent the wheel #2 coolers & overclocking.

I understand your concern about the weight but honestly, I don't know anyone who has busted a motherboard even with the heaviest cooler. Of course, you wouldn't want to knock the case over on the floor with one of those bing ones attached.

just started prime95-coretemp case is 29c ,, CT is 51c
not a good thing , i will let it run a while to let it seat in

i will be ordering another very soon ,,

new results with Arctic Alumina by Arctic Silver,,premium ceramic polysynthetic thermal compound.

it is a bust

Attachments

• arctic almina.PNG
    arctic almina.PNG
    24.1 KB · Views: 162
Haven't had any experience with Arctic Silver Alumina but have had plenty of experience with their flagship product AS 5. AS 5 has a "curing" time. It gets better with age. The company says it reaches full efficiency after about 200 hrs of running time. 52 degrees is withing the safe range but it doesn't give much overclocking headroom. Maybe you should try the stuff that came with the cooler again if you have any left.

hey trents ,

I'll pull the unit and try giving both cpu and cooler a very thin spread , can't hurt .

i did what you suggested poking around the site , and found the skinneelabs.com,, the Indigo Extreme looks to be a great paste,, going over to the cooler review i like the Akasa Nero S, great fan , and i can live with the size.
i posted on a couple today , this place is so sooo addicting

Mike, don't go for the Indigo Xtreme. First, its very expensive. You only get a few applications out of it, 2. Its marginally better than much less expensive products, 3. It doesn't work will with AMD CPUs because you can't make them get hot enough (safely) to cause the material to change phase (melt). It works better with Intel CPUs cause they can stand higher temps.

Just go with Arctic Silver 5, or MX 2, 3 or 4 made by Arctic Cooling. They are usually readily available in computer stores for a few bucks.

hey thanks for the warning ,, i just read that on the reviews ,, i am keeping things simple and safe.
not about taking any huge risk with this pc.
yea i'm happy with what i have for now , better cooler is enough of a change for us. i can afford to play around , but not burn things up .:grouphug:

OK things back to normal , pulled the cooler, "off with the white stuff" , back on with a small pea size zalman stuff , running prime95 and core temp , temp is running 46-47c , i'm up all night its 3am continue to monitor the progress, getting very use to the pc now .
start reading AMD Overclocking on site , will print it all out , i wonder if there is a coverclocking for dummies book ?

i will put that on my to do list .
will post results in the morning.

four fans , two,, Blowing In, one the bottom left side , one bottom front panel.

two,, Blowing Out,, one top rear panel,, and one on top panel i mounted right over the cooler.

now i think i will change the one on top blowing in over the cooler,,

but some how i think the cooler is not pulling the heat out of the cpu efficiency , i have been looking at case fans and a 135mm fan for the cooler , that is if i can get zalman to sell one to me.
this cooler is a good looking enough i can use it is my pc.

i run prime95 about four hours , it flexed beteen 45c-48c under 100%load.

Back