• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reinvent the wheel ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
trents ,, working on it , i have done a couple attemps just looking around , I'm starting to understand the process . Changing to sata post1 and two is no problem , finding AHCI in BIOS is simple , both Dan n I are reading the user guide and finding our way around.

I need to bite the bullet and jump in, if your in a hurry and don't have time i can understand . trent you have gone beyond mere mortals in patience.
thank you .

my reads about AHCI , http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html?ltr=A

Others: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976/en-us This set of drivers worked for me the others did not.

I moved yours forward : http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-7-rc-after-installation/

i think diff . com links back to microsoft support , i just can not seem to be able to open his link , but i believe it is the same as microsoft fix it #50407 ,, am i right ?

Last edited:
im following QuietIce...lol
i have used many asus boards throughout the years (first was a 286sx) never had too many problems/difficulties with them. did rma 1 board thats about it....
probably used about 150 asus boards but i do builds for other people...
and now that ive been on this forum ive gotten into water cooling also and have built 4 water cooled pc,s for myself and 7 for others (btw ty Overclockers forums members)....
i just built a similiar setup for myself but using the m4a89td pro/usb3 and slightly different peripherals..1100t, 8gig mushkin1600,callisto ssd,hd6870,750watt pcp&c , cpu is under water. this weekend will be oc weekend for it...were here for ya

boucher91

my first asus mobo is a P4S533-X , still working just fine.
QuietIce was very helpful I'm very fortunate to have his advice.
He give me confidence in my board, and that my friend is a friend.

Last edited:
trents ,, we have AHCI, SATA Ports1- HD, and Port2-DVD ,, ports3,4,5, and 6 are AHCI also.

The first run though "blue screen" then windows repair mode, it fails to correct problem
code: bad drivers .
OK shut down reset bios back to IDE ,,
Find new drivers here:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
download drivers and run them,, shut down, set bios to AHCI,, F10 save , reboot,windows comes up ,, humm whats this windows wants to reboot again, OK reboot, windows comes up , OK shut down check my bios , AHCI still in place, f10 out of bios, windows opens and here i am.:cool:

how easy is that ? :salute:

Last edited:
Mike, in a previous post I explained that would happen if you switch to AHCI in bios before you edit the Windows registry to tell Windows that the drive is now AHCI configured. You have to edit the Windows registry before you change to AHCI in bios unless you set it to ACHI in bios before you installed Windows, which you didn't do. Here is another link that explains how to do edit the registry to recognize AHCI:

http://windows7themes.net/switch-to-ahci-after-install-windows-7.html

Note: To start this process, go to the Start Button in lower left corner of Windows desktop. Click on it. At the bottom you will see the Search window. As the article I linked explains, enter "regedit.exe". Follow the instructions from there.

Last edited:
hi , trents

read 3. b,
Alternatively, you can download our registry tweak or insert the following text into a notepad, save it as a .reg file and start it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci]
“Start”=dword:00000000

Download Registry Hack: Enable AHCI

4. Next time you restart, Windows 7 will load the default drivers for AHCI (msahci.sys) and will use it for queuing SATA-controllers and their drives that run in AHCI-mode. So, the next step will be to switch your current SATA controllers from IDE to AHCI, else Windows 7 would still queue them via IDE and note via AHCI.

5. Restart and press “del” during start up to enter the BIOS.
Find your SATA-controller (read your motherboards manual for instructions) and change the mode from IDE to AHCI. Keep in mind that some motherboards don’t even support AHCI!

6. Done. You successfully switched to AHCI in Windows 7. Your disk performance can increase significantly if you are using a RAID drive and AHCI. A RAID drive is basically a combined set of two drives (of the same type and size) for better reliability/performance.

Read more: http://windows7themes.net/switch-to-ahci-after-install-windows-7.html#ixzz1HaJR6Bon

my first set of drivers was bad , i had three in stock just in case. i used the Microsoft drivers AND they worked .

do you suggest i go the Registry and check ?

Did you go back to bios yet and switch back to AHCI? If you did that and it now boots all the way back into Windows there is no need to check the registry. If you did not change to AHCI in bios yet you are still operating in IDE mode, which is the default, low level mode.

Did you change it back to AHCI in bios yet? Did it boot into Windows after that?

By the way, this really isn't about "drivers". The files you downloaded are probably just automated routines that alter the registry in the same way that would have happened if the instructions in the link I gave you were executed. No matter how its done, that its done is the important thing.

your a very good person to care my friend ,, yes i did that ,,

download drivers and run them,, shut down, set bios to AHCI,, F10 save , reboot,windows comes up ,, humm whats this windows wants to reboot again, OK reboot, windows comes up , OK shut down check my bios , AHCI still in place, f10 out of bios, windows opens and here i am. :grouphug:

hey how do i take a snap shot of my pc to post ?

Go to the bottom edge of a new post window and choose "Advanced". Then go to "Manage Attachments" then "Choose a file." Locate the file you want to attach to the post and "Upload" it.

But first you have to learn how to do screen capture to make the "pics" to upload. Go to "Start" button, then to Windows "Accessories" and locate the "Snipping Tool". Right mouse click and choose "Pin toTask Bar". Open Snipping tool. Place mouse cursor in the left upper section of the part of the screen where you want to capture. Depress the left mouse button and drag it down and across the area to capture and it will frame it. Name and save the image. Then attach it as per instructions above.

your a very good person to care my friend ,, yes i did that ,,

download drivers and run them,, shut down, set bios to AHCI,, F10 save , reboot,windows comes up ,, humm whats this windows wants to reboot again, OK reboot, windows comes up , OK shut down check my bios , AHCI still in place, f10 out of bios, windows opens and here i am. :grouphug:

Okay, good. Glad that's taken care of.

Last edited:
By the way, this really isn't about "drivers". The files you downloaded are probably just automated routines that alter the registry in the same way that would have happened if the instructions in the link I gave you were executed. No matter how its done, that its done is the important thing is it worked

yes i wondered about that ,, i tried the instructions link path but it did not show or could not find msahci,, so at that point i stopped ,, and did a sleep on it ,, downloaded the hacks 3 of them ,, first one failed , second one (microsoft ) worked.

You might have to "unlock" the taskbar before you can pin "Snipping Tool" to it. To unlock, go to the task bar (at bottom of Windows desktop) with the mouse cursor and right click. Choose the unlock item from the menu.

Back