• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade 965BE to FX 8350 worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SplashDown

Registered
Hey guys, I've got my 965 @ 4.1 very stable on my AsRock Extreme4 board [very sweet board btw] and have been considering the update since the 8350 came out, but with all the crap floating around bout the FX cores and windows I'm wondering if its even worth it. Any advice appreciated. Yes I'm water cooled on CPU. [I got one of the stubborn 965's had to crank volts took me long time to get this 1 runnin right] [Anyone who has made this switch specifically let me know how happy or unhappy you are] Runnin AMD [email protected] FSB 2600 HT 2400 / KingHyperX 1600@1333 9-9-9 24 33 - 8 gig / AsRock Extreme4 / 2 EVGA 570's sli / Antec 750 Gold Cert PSU / CoolerMaster 922 HAF Case / Kuhler 100 water for cpu

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've got my 965 @ 4.1 very stable on my AsRock Extreme4 board [very sweet board btw] and have been considering the update since the 8350 came out, but with all the crap floating around bout the FX cores and windows I'm wondering if its even worth it. Any advice appreciated. Yes I'm water cooled on CPU. [I got one of the stubborn 965's had to crank volts took me long time to get this 1 runnin right]

yes the upgrade is worth it. piledriver has fixed many of the problems that plagued bulldozer and they were able to improve performance by around 15%. The also overclock very well due to better power management so you should be able to easly be able to get up to 4.8 or 5.0ghz. Plus it is 8 cores lol extreme multitasking. Also you can get your ram to run faster since the fx series supports 1866mhz (and up) ram

yes the upgrade is worth it. piledriver has fixed many of the problems that plagued bulldozer and they were able to improve performance by around 15%. The also overclock very well due to better power management so you should be able to easly be able to get up to 4.8 or 5.0ghz. Plus it is 8 cores lol extreme multitasking. Also you can get your ram to run faster since the fx series supports 1866mhz (and up) ram

Yes, thats what I was lookin for answer wise. Ya my RAM KingHyperX, I can get it to 1600 but runs like crap with big settings, runs better @ 1333 with low clocks. So it would be nice to get RAM up there. My Extreme4 MB had alot to do with being able to crank up the 965, previously had an MSI G65 NF980 MB ...lol.... was ahead of its time but was a big brick. most of the ones that were out there got RMA'd but I read alot and alot were knuckle heads also. So I got mine to work but voltage was so up and down never could really hold long stable over 3.9 so I'm really thinkin my new MB would really luv this 8350. Your time in answering is appreciated. IU can only get so much out of reading reviews without BS'ing with someone who has 1 or knows the diff ect...Appreciated:attn:

Splashdown, I think it all depends on what you consider "worth it". What are you planning on using it for? I went from a similar setup as you, 955be at 4.1 24/7, 4.4 max 2hr Prime stable. I've gotten the 8350 to 5053mhz stable but it needs really good cooling to get there, I run it at 4.8 24/7 with no issues. In some ways it's much faster then the 955 in others it isn't. I'm happy with my purchase and have no regrets.

Splashdown, I think it all depends on what you consider "worth it". What are you planning on using it for? I went from a similar setup as you, 955be at 4.1 24/7, 4.4 max 2hr Prime stable. I've gotten the 8350 to 5053mhz stable but it needs really good cooling to get there, I run it at 4.8 24/7 with no issues. In some ways it's much faster then the 955 in others it isn't. I'm happy with my purchase and have no regrets.

ya my 4.1 set is not 24/7 bout 6 hours im good before I break 55c , I only use it for my games .... 24/7 I use a 4.06 @ 1.55v but get a lil higher FSB & RAM good trade off for heat ...lol Ya Ive got a cheap Kuhler 100 , but it does work for a cheap solution, Ive got an culligan water cooler that I dont use anymore that has the refrig unit in it to cool the water to 17c ... I'm modifying it to use believe it or not I already tested my idea it works but I have to downsize the unit, modify ect before I use 24/7 ..... with it I ran @ 4.1 setup and never broke 52c and like I said Ive got a stubborn 965 Im @ 1.56 volt only way it would hold. But I know its the heat that kills the lil overvolt isnt goin to hurt it I'm not an electronics genius but I am an electrician retired, actually Ive done a lil of alot, use to be in band too hence my avatar ...thats me 1986 ..:attn::attn::salute::attn::attn:

ya my 4.1 set is not 24/7 bout 6 hours im good before I break 55c , I only use it for my games .... 24/7 I use a 4.06 @ 1.55v but get a lil higher FSB & RAM good trade off for heat ...lol Ya Ive got a cheap Kuhler 100 , but it does work for a cheap solution, Ive got an culligan water cooler that I dont use anymore that has the refrig unit in it to cool the water to 17c ... I'm modifying it to use believe it or not I already tested my idea it works but I have to downsize the unit, modify ect before I use 24/7 ..... with it I ran @ 4.1 setup and never broke 52c and like I said Ive got a stubborn 965 Im @ 1.56 volt only way it would hold. But I know its the heat that kills the lil overvolt isnt goin to hurt it I'm not an electronics genius but I am an electrician retired, actually Ive done a lil of alot, use to be in band too hence my avatar ...thats me 1986 ..:attn::attn::salute::attn::attn:

i would still say to upgrade. they have improved single threaded performance a bit and the multithreaded performance is top notch.

I would say probably. Even with the small IPC loss over PH-II vishera easily makes up for it with higher clocks, and more cores. If you never do alot of multi tasking or heavily multi threaded computing Id actually recommend the 63xx instead.

Ya, I'm definately doin now ....

Since I started this thread I've upgraded my veloci raptors to SSD, WOW what a diff, don't get me wrong the Veloci's did there job and well but these SSD's are the chit and my AsRock Extreme4 was so easy to set up and with the built in IDE controller I did'nt lose my sony Dual Layer Rom, and all SATA's including storage are AHCI. Ya a SATA rom would be nice but I've had this 1 a while, I keep cleaning it and it keeps workin. Anyhow I read so much crap gettin ready for SSD upgrade I was expecting a fit or temper tantrum or 2, but it was eazy peazy with this board so I cant wait to plug in the 8350 now. It's my lowest score in windows now @ 7.5 all others are @ 7.9 so 1 more upgrade to go and I'm good for a while again, thx all for replies I appreciate. :blah: :attn: :salute:

I would say probably. Even with the small IPC loss over PH-II vishera easily makes up for it with higher clocks, and more cores. If you never do alot of multi tasking or heavily multi threaded computing Id actually recommend the 63xx instead.

Gaming, DVD rippin & Media Center playin on my 55 plasma. Ive got 6TB of Music, Music videos & TV Shows. I'm really into MLB 2K12 right now and it uses the processor also luvin F1 2012... kickin graphics [Forgive me Nascar] but cool game.

i would still say to upgrade. they have improved single threaded performance a bit and the multithreaded performance is top notch.
Ya it would be nice to get my ram crankin like it should too. I'm gettin it, actually wife said its my Xmas present. :ty:

Well SplashDown maybe this post will give you a helping hand to decide about your up grade! AJ. :thup:

1,http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=697

Ya I luv that site, I have checked those. It was more the core parking crap that had me not sure, scheduling of tasks ect, the crap they've been dealin with, but with the higher clocks it looks like it made up for it a lil, enough for me to justify the money now and what you have all said. 4QyqeydC

As a final thing try to book mark the post so if you want to check out something you can use it again! Good luck with your up grade Bro. AJ.

Back