• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wont boot sometimes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dpg3456

Hello all,

My build is in my sig. But my problem is that every morning, or after long periods of time of not being used the computer wont post on the initial power button press. It will begin to boot then stops with the error code 10 on the mobo. I thought it was the ram but i took out and tested each stick individually and they call booted and passes windows memory test. After i get the error code, i hit the reset button and it will boot. Any recommendations?

Idk if its related or not, but sometimes i will get code 66 when the computer is running. It will only be replaced with AA until a restart or two later.

Is the system overclocked?

Check the CPU cooler fan speed setting in bios. There may be a setting which prevents boot of the fan isn't spinning or isn't spinning fast enough. You have a water cooler I see from Sig. Is there any fan wire plugged into the CPU fan pin header? If not, you may need to go into bios and disable the warning feature or connect another fan to it.

Make sure also the CPU is getting enough VID, especially if it is overclocked. "Auto" sometimes doesn't give enough.

The system has been overclocked before but i leave it stock in the bios.

The cooler is on, i havent touched it since i installed it and its only a recent problem. Its an AIO water cooler and all the fans spin.

Yes i have the pump plugged into the cpu fan socket. I also have a fan (on the radiator) plugged into the cpu optional socket.

What is VID?

Edit: In AI suite, it says the pump is at 1800rpm.

"VID is just voltage identifier. If the load line aren't tampered with, this is the maximum voltage the CPU will see at that setting." http://www.overclock.net/t/1238019/what-is-cpu-vid

Basically it's the the stock voltage setting from the factory that represents what you will get under load not counting any vdrop, vdroop or any supplementations such as LLC. You might try changing the vcore in bios to manual and add a little to the VID. You can check the VID in CPU-z's "CPU" tab.

I did mess with the LLC, should i set it lower than what its at now? or just add more to the VID?

Right now the LLC is set to ultra high and I don't see any setting about the VID.

I also dont see the VID in CPU-Z

Last edited:
If you are not overclocking then you should hit the hot key in bios that restores settings to "optimized defatults" and see if that helps. There is not setting in bios for VID per se. It is what is from the factory but you can essentially change it by adjusting core voltage or "vcore."

Okay, so what voltage should i try? Right now its idling at 1.356v but in the bios its at 1.404. It will jump up to 1.416v. Should i try 1.415 or so?

Well right now i set the vcore to 1.418 in the bios but its idling at 1.416. I guess ill try playing and see what happens. Could this cause random not wanting to start?

Your actual voltage in Windows will always be less than what you set it to in bios notwithstanding any supplements or offsets added in. That's basically what LLC is designed to do, to compensate for the "vdrop" at idle. "Vdrop" is voltatge fall off under load.

Have you checked readings in Windows with bios set to "optimized defaults"? That's where I would start and then make adjustments from there if necessary. Make sure the system is stable under optimized defaults before making any changes. "Optimized defaults" can be quickly put in place by hitting the hot key in bios. It might be F5 or F7 or F9. It varies from bios to bios and manufacturer to manufacturer to manufacturer.

Well the only thing i changed other than the LLC was the Vcore. Its stock set to 1.488 which has no problem being stable.

There's your answer I think to the instability. You were overclocking the CPU without increasing the vcore. No wonder it was unstable. When you increase the frequency of a CPU in the overclocking process you also need to give it extra vcore to support the overclock. It's just like if you want a car engine to make more power you have to give it more gas. The FX-9550 is binned very high from the factory. In other words, it is already overclocked almost to the limit before you ever get it. Even at stock speeds and voltages that CPU needs a decent water cooler to keep temps under control and to overclock it you really need a custom water loop with a lot of radiator surface.

Is undervolting still considered overclocking? But I was only trying to get the voltage down a bit at the stock 4.7ghz. Its possible the undervolt wasn't completely stable. I added two notches to the vcore and i am no longer experiencing issues. Thank you.

I understand that it needs a good water loop but i refuse to spend another 500 on a custom water loop for an obsolete build. Next build will have a custom loop.

Is undervolting still considered overclocking? But I was only trying to get the voltage down a bit at the stock 4.7ghz. Its possible the undervolt wasn't completely stable. I added two notches to the vcore and i am no longer experiencing issues. Thank you. No, undervolting is not overclocking. Overclocking is making the CPU or memory or GPU go faster than stock. Overclocking does not reference what you do with the vcore but it does depend on it. The FX-9500 is an extremely poor candidate for being able to undervolt and maintain the stock frequency. And for the reason I already explained, that is, it is already aggressively binned. That means it's already close to the edge of stability at stock frequencies and voltages.

I understand that it needs a good water loop but i refuse to spend another 500 on a custom water loop for an obsolete build. Next build will have a custom loop. Really, you need to look at the new AMD Ryzen series coming out in March or move over to Intel if you want to overclock and not have such hassles. Almost everyone posting on this form about their experience with the FX-9xxx series is fighting high temp problems and/or instability. Sell the stuff you have and invest in something that will actually give you a good overclocking experience. You seem to be a novice and you picked the absolutely worst CPU to try and overclock. You will not need a custom water loop to get a nice overclock with AMD Ryzen or Intel Kaby Lake CPUs.

Okay fair enough. I understand.

And i am a novice, never claimed to be experienced. And I am looking at the new Ryzen chips, I am just waiting to see if the benchmarks are really as good as AMD says it is. I know that i wont need a custom loop but i really want to build a custom loop even if there is diminishing returns. With all this ryzen and kaby lake stuff going on, would anyone really be interested in this build?

I am trying to learn and not be a novice in the computer world anymore. I appreciate all your help and understand how much of a piece of crap this chip is. I already messed up and bought it over a year ago. I am just trying to get the stupid thing to run well.

As a separate note, it wouln't boot again today with the same code, 10. should i just say **** it and throw the 1.488 back into the chip and call it a day? I was told by other people to try and get the voltage down a bit, should i ignore that advice and leave it stock?

Last edited:
if you are going to buy a new processor soon, and can afford it immediately, in case of failure, i don't see the issue of the voltage levels for another month or two for 24 7 operation.It's not like your are trying to scrape together the little bit of lifeblood out of an old chip. My old 2500k from 2013 is still kicking. just my $.02.

as for the custom loop, most everything should be compatible, but ekwb supremacy evo has am4 support, and 115x support, so that system would translate to the new system without compatibility issues.

Well i would love a new processor and build however i dont have to funds to do it. Hell, i dont even have a job i just got fired. But i am moving soon and will try and find a decent job over there. I was told that leaving the processor at that voltage would create a failure soon. Which is why i lowered the voltage. now the computer wont boot and i am told that it was a mistake to lower the voltage. so at this point, i will leave it stock. Im at the point where im done with the build even if it continues to not boot. thanks for the help and i will not post any more threads concerning my 9590 and assume im already screwed.

Okay fair enough. I understand.

And i am a novice, never claimed to be experienced. And I am looking at the new Ryzen chips, I am just waiting to see if the benchmarks are really as good as AMD says it is. I know that i wont need a custom loop but i really want to build a custom loop even if there is diminishing returns. With all this ryzen and kaby lake stuff going on, would anyone really be interested in this build?

I am trying to learn and not be a novice in the computer world anymore. I appreciate all your help and understand how much of a piece of crap this chip is. I already messed up and bought it over a year ago. I am just trying to get the stupid thing to run well.

As a separate note, it wouln't boot again today with the same code, 10. should i just say **** it and throw the 1.488 back into the chip and call it a day? I was told by other people to try and get the voltage down a bit, should i ignore that advice and leave it stock?

What you need to do is reset the bios to "optimized defaults" and run the system at stock. "Opimized defaults" will return everything to stock. You need to be content with that given the hardware choices you made up front. Running the system at stock frequencies and voltages (1.488 or whatever) will not harm it as long as your package temps do not exceed about 60c and it is stable. You do not need to undervolt the CPU to protect it. The advice you got from people to undervolt might work on some CPUs but not this one. If you are still unstable at stock frequencies and voltages, the first thing I would do is a fresh install of Windows. With all your crashes you may have corrupted OS files. If your temps do not permit you to run at stock frequencies and voltages then you need to look at underclocking and undervolting.

The AIO water cooling system you have will be perfectly adequate for a Ryzen or a Kaby Lake build.

And by the way, don't feel bad about the novice thing. We all have to start somewhere and I respect your desire to learn. Unfortunately, real learning usually means learning from mistakes. That's just the way it is for everybody. Hang in there.

Okay i reset it do default but the only thing i changed was putting ram speed to 1600. I am content with performance, if i had the chance to do it again i would definitely do it differently. I am too nervous to benchmark or stress test the computer stock so ill just leave it. Temps never get close to max when i game so ill do it then.

and your probably right but im worried that the pump will die by the time i build a new computer and this 9590 would have heat soaked it way to much to be effective.

I really do want to learn more and I have been looking at custom loop builds and i fell in love. I also like to oc now that i have a little experience with this thing. Plus i regret letting this computer get so loud and i have been hearing that you can make a custom loop pretty quite.

I am trying and i know i learned more than i did when i started. but there are still a lot of things that make no sense to me which is why i look for help. Now that i know this website exists and the people here (majority at least) arent biased towards one manufacture i will defiantly be back before my next build. But something i get from my dad is that when i do something, i go all out. I am never really happy with just moderate performance, if im spending money imma get the best or close to it. So my next build will be overkill for sure but im okay with that.

I appreciate your help. Its stock right now and ill be back if i cant get the thing to boot.

An AMD FX Cpu should run without issue if the RAM is set to 1866. So I would give that a go and see if it's still stable. Use the "XMP" RAM setting and it should automatically configure the RAM for optimum performance, including frequency and timings.

It needs to be said that an FX-9550 is a strong CPU and should run everything you throw at it very well, even at stock speeds. There really is no need at this time for more power. If you want to go for more because you enjoy the challenge and want to learn more then that's something else. Most of us here at OC Forums fall into the latter category.

The main problem with the AMD FX series is that they are much less energy efficient than their Intel counterparts. To achieve the same amount of performance they need to pull much more power and will make much more heat. This is supposed to change with Ryzen.

I would rather keep the timing tight on the ram and keep a lower speed that have to loosen the timing and increase the speed. THe ram i have is set to 1600 stock.

The problem is that its struggling to run BF4 above 60fps even at high settings. let alone a newer AAA title like bf1 or something. I want a computer because i dont like 30fps and i can tell the difference. If this was really that good, i wouldnt be interested in ocing. But the performance isnt there.

Yeah i know. This info would have been great before i built my rig lol. and i dont have the money to get the amd running to intels speed.

Are you running 1080p monitor or 4k?

I'm not a much of a gamer so I hesitate to speak to authoritatively on gaming performance. I have picked up on the forum from other users that even the high end FX CPUs can produce some bottlenecking in some games, depending on the settings. And some games rely more heavily on the CPU than others do. And is your 980 gpu part of the problem? It's a generation (almost two generations) old now.

Just to put this in some perspective, your FX-9550 will perform at the level of somewhere between an Intel i3 and an i5 depending on what you are doing with it. Where the FX-9550 will shine is in tasks that utilize all those cores, like AV encoding. So it will do it's best say, in a well multi-threaded application like Handbrake where you are converting audio/video files to another format. It would also do well in tasks like file compression/decompression. But the per core performance is so far behind Intel that in apps (like games) that can only utilize 2-4 cores then it will do poorly, more like an i3.

The other interesting factor here is that though the 8 core FX CPUs are less expensive than high end Intels, the big gun FX CPUs require more expensive motherboards and cooling solutions to handle the power draw than do Intels. So there are hidden costs involved with going with a big gun AMD FX. A lot of people don't reckon with that. Again, however, this is supposed to all change with Ryzen. We will see. I used to be an AMD fan boy. But they fell so far behind in performance that I switched over to Intel.

Last edited:
Back