• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wont boot sometimes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Original speed? You mean 1600 mhz and not 1866? Thought I should ask in view of the miscommunication issues we have been having.

Yes. Gskill manufactured my particular ram modules to run at 1600 mhz at 9-9-9-24. No worries.

"Stock" would have been clearer. When you said "original" it could have meant whatever frequency you were using when starting the thread. As you say, no worries. Don't mean to nitpick.

This "error 10." Where do you see it? On the motherboard LED or your LCD flat screen monitor?

I note you have not attached any pics during this whole thread. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

There is a built-in tool for this on the forum. You can access it from any new post window. It's the "Go Advanced" button in the lower right corner.

Please attach three pics with a post sometime soon. Using Windows Snipping Tool crop and safe them before you attach them. We don't need to see your entire desktop, just the relevant image.

Please download and install a free Utility called "CPU-z." Please attach pics of these three tabs: "CPU," "Memory" and "SPD".

Last edited:
Okay here we go. The error code 10 is seen on the motherboard itself, on the LED screen. Here they are: Screenshot (13).png Screenshot (14).png Screenshot (15).png Screenshot (16).png Screenshot (17).png

Notice how tRC in the Memory tab is set to 40 (Memory tab reports what your memory settings actually are in bios) while the XMP in the SPD tab calls for a tRC of 33. Also, make sure your command rate is set to 2T. That latter one is especially important when running 4 sticks of RAM. It wouldn't hurt to move from a RAM voltage of 1.5 to 1.55 either.

Concerning the Error code 10 I found a couple references to it on other forums but no one seems to know what it is or what causes it. I would contact Asus on that one.

Hmm okay. I will give them a call then and see what they say. Also i did what you said about the ram settings. I set the voltage to 1.55 and manually set the timings. Screenshot (18).png

Actually, from what i can tell it did help. Since i changed that tRC to 33, it posts every time. I restarted it about 5 times in a row and booted every time. I also let it sit over night and it booted right up in the morning. So it seems it helped. Weird. thank you

I'm glad it's behaving better now.

Found this regarding the CPU needs of BF4: https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/22787/game-is-cpu-intensive

Seems like some in that discussion using FX-8 cores were experiencing CPU throttling in the game and others were not. Not sure if it is any help to you or not. There are so many variables in something like this. Now we have Dx12 and some video cards do Dx12 via API and some do it via hardware. Some games seem optimized to work best with AMD's Vulcan and some are optimized to work with Nvidia's Dx12 engine.

Okay ill check it out.

My fps went up about 5 avg fps when i overclocked my gpu a bit. I am having problems getting higher clocks but there is another thread i posted in the video card section of this forum.

Okay so it just had the symptom again with the same code 10. This time I decided to look at the Mobo for any error led lights. The CPU light was on but I don't understand if it was bad it should stop booting completely, no? It runs fine right now. No overheating no fps drop, no voltage degradation from what I can tell.

I have a feeling this error code 10 and the CPU light are memory related. Remember, the CPU and the RAM work as one unit, basically. Seems like I was reading something recently on the forum that the Sniper series RAM was giving some folks problems. Seems like it was a compatibility issue of some kind but I can't say for sure. Again, I would contact Asus for that error code.

By the way, did you purchase all four RAM sticks at the same time or did you get two separate dual channel kits at different times?

I have a feeling this error code 10 and the CPU light are memory related. Remember, the CPU and the RAM work as one unit, basically. Seems like I was reading something recently on the forum that the Sniper series RAM was giving some folks problems. Seems like it was a compatibility issue of some kind but I can't say for sure. Again, I would contact Asus for that error code.

By the way, did you purchase all four RAM sticks at the same time or did you get two separate dual channel kits at different times?

Well i am not sure. Well thats is the ram i am using, Gskill Rijpaw X. And i bought the ram and installed them at the same time. They came in two dual channel kits, but i received them at the same time.

And i called asus support and told them whats going on. They said clear and cmos and if they doesnt help ill send it back to them for repairs under warranty. I really should have cleared the cmos a while back but eh. Ill do it and see if it helps. If not looks like imma have to take my computer completely apart which i do not look forward to.

- - - Updated - - -

Dpg you may want to have a read through this thread, it may be helpful.

I will take a look at it. Thank you

So my computer just crashed while idling in windows. So yeah. I took a screenshot of the event view however i have no way to understand what it means. Perhaps one you guys could help with that? Screenshot (20).png

Once it crashed, I took out the cmos, then set the ram speed and timings, set the LLC to Very High, and manually set the voltage to 1.487v since that it was this cpu recommends. Hopefully this addresses the problem but if it doesn't then unfortunately i will have to send the board in for repairs.

Before you RMA the motherboard I would check the RAM with Memtest86+: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

It runs from a self-booting optical disk or flash drive. Run it overnight for at least four passes.

The problem I see with an RMA is that if the error 10 code is a compatibility issue with the memory/motherboard combo then Asus techs are likely not going to be able to reproduce it and will just send the motherboard back to you. None of the major motherboard manufacturers have good reputations with this forum community when it comes to RMAs and tech support in general. Most of us have been very frustrated with them and the good experiences seem few in comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

So my computer just crashed while idling in windows. So yeah. I took a screenshot of the event view however i have no way to understand what it means. Perhaps one you guys could help with that? View attachment 188689

Once it crashed, I took out the cmos, then set the ram speed and timings, set the LLC to Very High, and manually set the voltage to 1.487v since that it was this cpu recommends. Hopefully this addresses the problem but if it doesn't then unfortunately i will have to send the board in for repairs.

Download, install and run a free program called "Who Crashed." It may be more helpful than your pic.

Strange. If the crash happened while in Windows and you got no dump file it must have happened very fast so that there was no time to write to the log.

Let us know if your most recent adjustments in bios help.

I'd bet there is nothing wrong with the motherboard, I've seen it time and time again with these Fx 9590 cpu's. They never seem to work correctly, right out of the box.

How about attaching a pic of the Motherboard tab in CPU-z. I want to check your current bios version.

Back