• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wont boot sometimes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RMA it then. If it won't run the advertised speed at the advertised voltage, then it's no good. They're binned for at least that. Which is 4.7 base for all cores @ 1.5-1.525v, turboing to 5.0
If you can't even get that then the CPU is defective. RMA directly to AMD. Use your warranty.

I actually bought it pre opened from frys, idk if it is still under warranty. The original cpu i fried during troubleshooting. It also didnt want to boot with the bios set to 1.375v @ 4.5. Even though its stable at 1.356 @4.5 and is currently running 1.362. To me it sounds like the mobo since the chip will be stable for the whole day at stock speeds or underclocked to 4.5. It just doesnt want to boot.

Last edited:
Why was it "pre opened?" Was it a returned item or something Frys was using in a demo machine perhaps?
What about the motherboard? Was it brand new and is it under warranty? I think I'm to the point where I agree with Mr. Scott. Start returning/RMAing things. Some piece of hardware is malfunctioning.

It would be ideal if you could try another FX CPU in that board, like a cheap FX-4300 off ebay or something to test the motherboard. Maybe Frys would test it for you.

Last edited:
Pre opened as the person returned it because they decided they didnt want it. I didnt have an option at the time if i wanted to stay with this processor. I should have grabbed an 8350 instead or something but its in the past.

Mobo i bought brand new from amazon. I am not sure, i called and they said it should be depending on whats wrong.

I do have a Opteron that i have lying around. The mobos are backwards compatible right?

EDIT: Well that cpu isnt under the supported cpu list for this mobo. I officially am sol on getting another processor to try. unless i buy one from china for a dollar, but idk how trust worthy it will be or how long it will take to get to me.

Last edited:
The CPUs are backwards compatible only within the same socket family.

They decided they didn't want it, huh? Maybe.

Oh okay. Well they just said they returned it. Im assuming they didnt want it. Idk. Am i in danger of ruining anything else on my computer if i just leave it? I dont have money for a cpu, even if its only $50. Only other option is to send in the mobo and not have a computer for a long time.

I am also on the phone with asus to see what they say. Maybe they have an idea.

UPDATE: well they said its either a bad ground, bad cpu, bad socket or not enough power. I dont think its power or a bad ground since the system can run. Even if i shake the case there are no problems.

I could actually get a fx 4100 for 46.00 on amazon. i might get that.

I think i will buy a cheap cpu and call it a day. thanks for the help guys. It was a pain in the *** but hopefully a cpu will do the trick. i have feeling it will.

Last edited:
Don't sell yourself short. FX processors have a 2 year manufacturers warranty. You are entitled to that. RMA that chip.

Don't sell yourself short. FX processors have a 2 year manufacturers warranty. You are entitled to that. RMA that chip.

So i should call AMD directly? I have that chip on the way, should be here today to tomorrow. If it was the chip, i will RMA it.

Okay so appartently the problem is my mobo since it didnt want to boot with the 6300. No the only worry i have is shorting out the cpu since my mobo is having problems. Should i send the mobo back asap or let it run for a while?

Okay so appartently the problem is my mobo since it didnt want to boot with the 6300. No the only worry i have is shorting out the cpu since my mobo is having problems. Should i send the mobo back asap or let it run for a while?
Did you set everything back to stock and clear the CMOS before you put the 6300 in?

I actually did not. But it did recognize the different chip and took me to "NEW CPU INSTALLED" setup page. or back to the bios to set up the chip. But i just cleared it right now. We will see if that made a difference.

Are you supposed to clear the cmos every time you change a chip out?

I actually did not. But it did recognize the different chip and took me to "NEW CPU INSTALLED" setup page. or back to the bios to set up the chip. But i just cleared it right now. We will see if that made a difference.

Are you supposed to clear the cmos every time you change a chip out?

It's just a good practice with a new CPU and memory both. The BIOS can have lingering info that will be carried forward and cause instability at times

It's just a good practice with a new CPU and memory both. The BIOS can have lingering info that will be carried forward and cause instability at times

okay fair enough. i will make it a habit.

Back