• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wont boot sometimes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can save you a lot of time.
Your vcore for a 9 series processor is too low.
Every 9 series I've had needs 1.5-1.525v to run at stock with P95 stability.
Code 10 is a generic driver error. CPU throws that error when it fails to initialize due to vdroop or low vcore.

Mr. Scott, the error code 10 he is seeing is on the motherboard dx LED as he is booting before he gets into Windows.

I can save you a lot of time.
Your vcore for a 9 series processor is too low.
Every 9 series I've had needs 1.5-1.525v to run at stock with P95 stability.
Code 10 is a generic driver error. CPU throws that error when it fails to initialize due to vdroop or low vcore.

i would feel uncomfortable running my chip 24/7 at 1.5-1.525v. I also pass benchmarks and prime95 with the voltage lower than that. The only problem is it wont boot sometimes. The LLC is set to very high, would changing it to extreme help?

And here is the CPU-Z screenshot. All day yesterday the computer was stable and ran with no problems. Today the computer decided not to boot once again. hitting reset helped.

Screenshot (26).png

I would try changing it to extreme. That may give it more voltage during boot but it will also give it more total voltage under load. Different motherboard manufacturers implement LLC in different ways. But it is worth a try.

Thanks for the attached pic of the "Motherboard" tab. Just wanted to make sure you were on the latest bios which you are.

I note the last two bios updates deal with USB issues. Very common problem. You might also try unplugging any unnecessary USB 3.0 devices presently connected to the system.

Okay i will give the LLC a shot and report back later with results. I also put the DRAM voltage from 1.49 (Auto) to 1.50.

No problem. Yeah that was one of the first things i checked when i started to have problems and when i diagnosed my dads pc.

I will also try that. I do notice random connecting and disconnecting extremely rare on my mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:
If you have USB 3.0 devices connected to the system that don't need USB 3.0 data rate speeds then move them over to USB 2.0 ports. That should bypass any USB 3.0 issues. As I said, this was a common problem in the generation of motherboards you are using and earlier ones that came out soon after the USB 3.0 standard was adopted. Seems to have been resolved since then for the most part.

Okay so i made those changes but when i began folding the computer completely froze. I ran a benchmark and it ran but then i started folding it crashed. So i changed the vcore to 1.50 (which is idling at 1.525) and dram to 1.55. I am actually scared to stress test my computer with the voltage that high.

So after a 10min Realbench stress test, i got these results.

Screenshot (27).png

After a 10 min Heaven loop, i got these results.

well max temp is 53c and was stable. Took wrong pic of it.

Even though i set the LLC to extreme and the vcore to 1.50 it still pulled more than that. it pulled 1.56 no the vcore. Is my mobo damaged or is my cpu about the fail

Attachments

• 111.gif
    111.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Looks to me like your max CPU temp is 72c after that 10 minute test.

The CPU temp below that in the motherboard section is probably the socket/VRM temp.

You are definitely on the edge with your temps. You are up into the temp range that creates instability on AMD CPUs.

I belive your fear of increasing the vcore to 1.525 for 24/7 is unfounded. Lots of people find they need that much to be stable, even a stock, under true stress loads and I have not heard of anyone frying their FX-9590 at that voltage. Sorry, this is just the way it is and wishing it weren't won't change anything. Your only recourse is to downclock the speed of the CPU so you can run on lower voltage - or - get custom water cooling with a lot of radiator surface area.

Yeah i agree the temps are to high. But they dont get that high during gaming thats for sure. playing Rainbow six my cpu got to 48c on the socket.

No i appreciate you being blunt. Seeing that i dont have the money for a custom loop nor the room for it, i might consider down clocking it. That being said, will going from 4.7 - 4.5 make a difference in thermals? if that is still to high for a clock what would you recommend i shoot for? and how much will my performance decrease?

Right now i am stress testing with RealBench at 4.5 @ 1.40v. Should i try lowering the vcore a little bit more?

Max temp during a 15min stress test was 46c. Huge difference only 200mhz makes.

Last edited:
Okay well having the LLC set to Extreme, Dram set to 1.55, Vcore set to 1.400, and speed set to 4.5ghz, the computer still had the same symptom. So i dont think it has anything to do with that. I think its the mobo at this point. Even with temps being so much lower the computer didnt want to boot. Same red CPU led that turned on though. maybe i should consider rma'ing it?

Knock the LLC down a click from extreme and run at stock @ 1.50v.
You paid extra for a 9 series chip. Use it. Nobody pays to downclock.

Well if it doesnt want to run at the stock speed ill run it slowed down. But does this problem sound like my cpu or mobo. i think its the mobo since even downclocking the chip didnt help.

But i will do what you say the next time i restart the computer.

I think it's a typical cranky 9xxx chip. I've never seen one run out of the box without screwing with it. You have the best board there is for it.
It's all got to do with voltage and heat. It needs the voltage, YOU have to figure out how to handle the heat. Turn the fans up. Add more....whatever you got to do.

I think it's a typical cranky 9xxx chip. I've never seen one run out of the box without screwing with it. You have the best board there is for it.
It's all got to do with voltage and heat. It needs the voltage, YOU have to figure out how to handle the heat. Turn the fans up. Add more....whatever you got to do.

I tried lol. I have 13 fans in this ****er. not mentioning the aio cooler. i have had this chip for a good 6-7 months with it running fine. its not like i just got it.

Dpg3456, I'm going to recommend a strategy that runs counter to what Mr. Scott states when he advises not downclocking the CPU. I think you have no choice but to do that if you want to use the system as it is, given your cooling.

I'm advising lowering the CPU frequency to 4.5 to start with. Keep your LLC on extreme as the system does not seem to be stable without doing that for some reason. But then cut down your vcore to the point where it will still pass the one hour AMDOverdrive stress test. More on AMDOverdrive below. I think we need to do this to establish a baseline.

Download and install AMDOverdrive which is the best temp monitor for any AMD system built in recent years. Some of the other temp monitoring software can give unpredictable results with AMD CPUs. AMDOverdrive also has a stress test which is not such an extreme "heater" as is Prime95. This software has a lot of nice tools but use the CPU monitor tool to keep an eye on temps. Realize that with this temp monitoring tool your readout will not give the core temp, it will give the distance in degrees left before hitting "TJmax" which is the temperature at which thermal throttling occurs. Really, this is the important thing anyway. Keep an eye on that while you use the built-in stress test to test stability. By default it will run for one hour.

Then use the computer to run your most demanding game or application for a significant period to see if it is stable in actual use. What do you say we start there and then work up if possible.

Last edited:
Okay i have AMD OD already installed and ready to be used. We can do this tomorrow since i have to get up early for school.

I will definitely give your suggestions a shot. Thank you for your help. And i also do not mind downclocking the chip a little bit as long as the performance doesnt hinder gaming performance. I was reading that the 8350 can hit 4.5 at 1.37v, which is why i chose to start at 1.4.

Sounds good. You want to keep your temp readout in AMDOD above 0c which is TJMax. In other words as an example, a reading of "5" would be 5c short of TJMax.

So just a quick update. I havent finished trying to get minimum voltage yet however i am at 1.368v in the bios at 4.5.

The update is that i went to restart the computer after a couple hours of stress testing and it didnt want to boot again. At the time this happend, the LLC was at extreme but the voltage and speed were at stock (1.5v 4.7ghz). The different part is i got codes FF and 5b. The reset button also didnt want to respond so i had to hold the power button. When it rebooted, it said overclock failed.

RMA it then. If it won't run the advertised speed at the advertised voltage, then it's no good. They're binned for at least that. Which is 4.7 base for all cores @ 1.5-1.525v, turboing to 5.0
If you can't even get that then the CPU is defective. RMA directly to AMD. Use your warranty.

Back