• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wont boot sometimes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The monitor is 1080p at 60hz. I can oc it to 70ish but i dont feel the need. I am not sure if its the problem. It runs around 85-100 percent utilization, even when overclocking while the cpu runs about 70% or so. The gpu might be the problem, but i never see a big difference in fps when i oc it, even 200 on the core and memory clock.

The monitor is 1080p at 60hz. I can oc it to 70ish but i dont feel the need. I am not sure if its the problem. It runs around 85-100 percent utilization, even when overclocking while the cpu runs about 70% or so. The gpu might be the problem, but i never see a big difference in fps when i oc it, even 200 on the core and memory clock.

So the gold standard for determining whether the CPU or the GPU is the bottleneck is to overclock (or underclock) each one at a time and see which effects frame rate.

Okay well i did what you said and here are the results after about 5 minutes of BF4 game-play.

CPU and GPU stock: 58 avg fps
CPU at 3.0 GPU stock: 53 avg fps
CPU stock GPU 804 core clock and 3005 memory clock: 38 avg fps

I only tested the GPU for about 4 mins before i got sick from the bad fps.

I guess now i must learn how to oc my video card.

Update:

Before i overclock the gpu, i would still like to address the boot problem. I just restarted it and i got the error code 10 again. once i hit reset button, it booted. Any ideas? Bios is set to stock everything.

Last edited:
Maybe try flashing your bios to a newer version? Unsure if it will help you, but if you haven't done that yet, it may be worth a shot. Please verify, those with experience in this matter.

Well i tried that once and it didnt work, but i could try it again. But as far as i know this is the current bios version. Could the bios be corrupt?

You may have corrupted system boot files. I would reinstall Windows 10 and during the installation process delete the existing partitions.

You might also download and install a Linux Live DVD (Ubuntu, maybe) that will allow you to boot by bypassing the hard drive and windows system files. If the Linux Live CD boots fine repeatedly then that would lead me to think the problem is not with bios or hardware but with Windows system boot files.

Wait. Let's clarify something. This "error 10" you talk about. Does that display on the monitor or on the motherboard's boot code troubleshooting LEDs?

Last edited:
Yes it is. But the latency is way loose. Should be 9-9-9-24 but its 11-11-11-28. I will put it back to 9-9-9-24 right now. But i dont think that would make it not boot though.

edit: Okay so i put the timing back to what its supposed to be. But i didnt see anything about xmp in the bios.

Could the bios be corrupt?

I don't believe so. If it were corrupt, I would imagine the issue would be more consistent. It is just one of the steps in the list of steps to take when system instability is present.

Does your board have dual Bios? Perhaps you could switch to the second bios chip to test for corruption.

The XMP setting would apply only to the max rated frequency of the RAM which is 1866. If you run it at 1600 that does not necessarily mean you can run it in a stable fashion at lower timings than what you will be assigned at 1866 XMP. I know that sounds counterintuitive but the RAM is most efficient in every way at 1866 XMP.

Okay so There is an xmp setting #0 that i tried which is only the stock setting and it crashed as soon as i got into windows.

I set it manually to 1866 with timing at 10-10-10-26-46. should i try any tighter?

Last edited:
Try XMP again but increase the RAM voltage by .05 over stock. That's not enough to damage the RAM by any means and it may help stabilize it. The XMP timings are typically geared toward Intel boards and chipsets and they may not be quite as stable on AMD systems.

But i fail to see the difference between manually clocking it to 1600 9-9-9-24 vs the xmp profile which does the same?

EDIT:

I gave it an extra .05 voltage and it didnt even get to windows. So i put the speed to 1866 at 10-10-10-24

Last edited:
But i fail to see the difference between manually clocking it to 1600 9-9-9-24 vs the xmp profile which does the same?

EDIT:

I gave it an extra .05 voltage and it didnt even get to windows. So i put the speed to 1866 at 10-10-10-24

Are you telling me that your XMP profile is not 1866 but 1600? There should be an 1866 XMP profile if the RAM is sold as 1866.

Are you telling me that your XMP profile is not 1866 but 1600? There should be an 1866 XMP profile if the RAM is sold as 1866.

No, the ram itself is 1600. That's the speed I bought. But I am overclocking it.

Dpg3456, I wish you had mentioned that in the beginning. It would have saved a lot of typing and time. I'm a little frustrated with how you have not given us some needed information about your hardware that resulted in a lot of tail chasing. Another example was when you were trying to overclock the CPU while undervolting the cores. It took forever to discover that's what you were doing.

Forget running the RAM at 1866. Run it a 1600 like it was designed for. Your CPU should be able to run 1866 RAM just fine but you need to buy 1866 if you want to do that.

Dpg3456, I wish you had mentioned that in the beginning. It would have saved a lot of typing and time. I'm a little frustrated with how you have not given us some needed information about your hardware that resulted in a lot of tail chasing. Another example was when you were trying to overclock the CPU while undervolting the cores. It took forever to discover that's what you were doing.

Forget running the RAM at 1866. Run it a 1600 like it was designed for. Your CPU should be able to run 1866 RAM just fine but you need to buy 1866 if you want to do that.

I actually did, "THe ram i have is set to 1600 stock. " First page comment number 19. but okay.

Well idk if its still considered overclocking when thats what the stock speed is set at. I was leaving it at the original speed while trying to lower the voltage a bit. Never tried to get higher than the original 4.7 sold by amd. When i do though, i boost the voltage.

Okay, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. It would have been helpful had you listed the stock frequency of the RAM in your SIG. GSkill makes Ripjaws in several different frequencies. All you gave was "4x8GB GSkill Ripjaw." When you were doing all the posting about trying to get it stable at 1866 I assumed that was stock frequency since most people pair that CPU with 1866 RAM

By the way, I just noticed you are running 32gb of RAM. I would think that is part of your problem with stability. The more RAM you have, the more strain there is on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) which is located in the CPU. What kind of computing do you do that you need that much RAM? No game exists that will come close to needing that much RAM. As far as I know the performance of any game on the market today will not benefit from more than 8gb of RAM. If I were you I would pull out two of those sticks and see if your machine isn't more stable.

Only professional photographers and graphic artists benefit from as much RAM as you are running.

Last edited:
No worries and your right, i should put it in my sig. Ill do it in a bit.

I didn't know that that much ram could cause instabilities. yeah i didnt build it well lol. I just thought the more the merrier when i first bought everything. But a couple games i do play run around 9.5gigs of ram. So imma stick with two. I did take two out when i thought it was the ram at fault. I only game so i really dont have the need for that much ram. Today it booted without problems so thats good. If it keeps on booting ill oc the gpu. But thanks for showing me that my gpu is at fault, not my cpu. I might be able to hold off for a little while unless imma need a faster gpu. Then idk if i should sli it or just build a new machine. But thats in the future.

EDIT: Well i restarted the computer and it didnt want to boot again with the same code, 10. Ram is back to original speed. so idk.

Last edited:
Original speed? You mean 1600 mhz and not 1866? Thought I should ask in view of the miscommunication issues we have been having.

Back