Table of Contents
Recently, AMD updated its Adrenalin drivers to 21.4.1. The new patch includes AMD Link, AMD Crash Defender, Microsoft PlayReady AV1 support, a more simplified GUI, and more. Below are the release notes from AMD along with supporting links to download the driver.
SANTA CLARA, Calif.
AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) today announced AMD Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 21.4.1, the next edition of its software suite for AMD Radeon graphics, providing gamers, creators and enthusiasts with incredible visual fidelity, ultra-responsive gaming and advanced features to unlock the full potential of their AMD gaming experience.
Developed with gamers in mind, the latest AMD Radeon Software release introduces powerful new features and capabilities to deliver an immersive and complete gaming experience. It features AMD Link1 for Windows®, allowing users to connect to their gaming PC from another Windows PC, as well as from a phone, tablet, or TV, to game from virtually anywhere. It also provides an updated user interface with a number of usability enhancements requested by Radeon gamers, including customized installation options and simplified recording and streaming tools so users can easily capture and share their memorable gaming moments.
“Providing powerful hardware is only half of the equation to deliver the extraordinary, world class AAA, esports and multiplayer experiences gamers have come to expect,” said Frank Azor, chief architect of Gaming Solutions at AMD. “With the new AMD Radeon Software release, our goal was to allow gamers to unlock the full potential of their AMD gaming systems, enabling them to fully immerse themselves in beautiful, hyper-realistic worlds, easily share their latest battles and victories, find new ways to game with friends and customize their gaming experience as they see fit.”
Responsive Gaming, Vivid Visuals & The Complete Experience
AMD Radeon Software is the gateway to unlock the full potential of the AMD gaming experience, designed to deliver responsive gaming, vivid visuals and a complete experience for gamers. Existing features like AMD FreeSync, AMD Radeon Anti-Lag and AMD Radeon Boost deliver ultra-high framerate, low latency gaming, while features like AMD Radeon Image Sharpening and the AMD FidelityFX developer tools enable incredibly immersive, visually stunning games. Building upon this foundation, AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.4.1 provides several new and updated features, including:
- AMD Link – A free application to connect a gaming PC with a tablet, phone or TV – and now another Windows-based PC – lets users turn any screen into a gaming powerhouse from virtually anywhere. The new AMD Link Game feature allows users to invite a friend to connect to their PC from another AMD Radeon system to play games that support local multiplayer or split screen mode. AMD Link also offers 144 FPS (max)2, higher bandwidth streaming options, support for 5.1 surround sound audio, and reduced streaming latency of up to 60 percent in CS:GO.3
- Simplified User Interface – Based on community feedback, the latest software release provides several customizable installation options. Gamers can elect to do a full installation or a minimal installation with a streamlined user interface, or a small-footprint, driver-only installation. Additional updates include an improved search bar, the availability of additional gameplay stats on the games tab and more.
- Expanded Performance Metrics & Tuning – Users can now view both Radeon graphics and Ryzen™ processor performance metrics from a single location, including CPU utilization, clock speed, temperature, voltage, power consumption, and fan speed, enabling them to better optimize system performance and power efficiency.
- Enhanced Recording and Streaming – Integrating all recording and streaming settings under a single tab, the new AMD Radeon Software release offers scene editor usability enhancements, improved sorting and tagging functionality, and a new wizard4 to make it easier for entry-level users to begin streaming.
- Color Deficiency Correction4 – Customizable settings allow users with the three major color vision deficiency conditions – protanopia, deuteranopia and tritanopia – to experience games in more vivid detail without any expected performance impact.
- Microsoft® PlayReady AV1 Support4,5 – Support for the open-source, royalty-free PlayReady AV1 hardware-accelerated decode for AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series graphics cards ensures high-quality, protected content.
- AMD Crash Defender4 – A new stability feature to ensure systems “stay alive,” preserve data and fully recover from potential hangs or crashes in select scenarios. Paired with the AMD Bug Report Tool, Radeon Software can provide a more complete picture of user-submitted issues for quicker resolution by AMD support teams.
Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.4.1 Highlights
- AMD LinkGD-159
- A brand-new AMD Link for Windows client is now available that allows you to stream your games and desktop to other Radeon graphics enabled PCs.
- New “Link Game” feature that allows you to easily connect with a friend to play games together on a single PC or even help them troubleshoot a PC issue or problem.
- Redesigned streaming technology for better visuals and lower latency.
- New quality of service feature that dynamically adjusts your streaming settings based on your internet connection.
- Now supports up to 4k/144fps streaming.
- Radeon Software
- Customized user interface options are now available in the Radeon Software installation to modify the user interface. Options exist for a Full Installation, Minimal Installation and Driver only installation.
- Vivid Gaming Display Color Enhancement GD-187: A new color profile that allows users to enable a more vivid look for their display color.
- Color Deficiency Correction GD-187: A new feature that allows users to adjust their display colors for all three major color deficiency types with strength sliders.
- Improved search bar functionality.
- Stats information for games is now available in the games tab.
- Historical navigation buttons added to easily move back and forth between tabs.
- Toggle added to enable or disable the built-in web browser.
- Settings option added to enable or disable all hotkeys in a single click.
- Record & StreamGD-187
- Recording and streaming settings have been consolidated into one easy to use tab.
- A new Streaming Wizard is now available which helps users configure their recording and streaming settings for the first time. A new ‘adaptive’ quality setting is available in the wizard that allows Radeon Software to monitor your stream and make changes to quality based on your stream’s performance.
- Improved scene editor usability for creating and editing scenes.
- An option is now available to select which display you would like to record or stream from in multiple display system configurations.
- Performance Tuning
- Introduced CPU metrics and monitoring to the performance metrics tab in Radeon Software.
- Improvements made to the performance metrics tab including design updates to the graphs for metrics, more performance readouts, improved logging controls and improved performance overlay controls and graphs.
- AMD Crash DefenderGD-187
- Preserves data and keeps your system running in some cases where your system may have otherwise experienced a crash or hang.
- Microsoft® PlayReady AV1 Decode SupportGD-187
- AMD Eyefinity support extended to Ryzen™ Mobile 4000 and Ryzen™ Mobile 5000 series.
- Brightness flickering may intermittently occur in some games or applications when Radeon™ FreeSync is enabled, and the game is set to use borderless fullscreen.
- SteamVR™ may experience an application crash when a VR headset is connected on Radeon RX 500 series graphics products.
- Some high refresh rate, high resolution TV displays may experience corruption when connected via HDMI on Radeon RX 6000 series graphics products.
- Applying changes in Radeon Performance Tuning may sometimes fail to take effect for changes made to power tuning.
- Lower than expected performance may be experienced in some CPU intensive workloads or games.
- Global performance tuning overclock profiles may sometimes override game specific performance tuning profiles or cause game specific performance tuning profiles to fail to load on a games launch.
- Radeon Chill may experience lower than expected performance when a game is left idle for an extended period with Radeon Chill enabled.
- Flickering may be observed in Radeon Software performance overlay while playing Cyberpunk 2077™ on Radeon RX 6000 series graphics products.
- Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
- Connecting two displays with large differences in resolution/refresh rates may cause flickering on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.
- Radeon performance metrics and logging features may intermittently report extremely high and incorrect memory clock values.
- Cyberpunk 2077™ may experience shadow corruption on Radeon RX 6000 series graphics when ray tracing is enabled.
- Disco Elysium™ may experience texture flickering on trees with Radeon RX 6000 series graphics products.
- Radeon Software may experience a crash when Record & Stream tab is in use and a display is hot plugged.
- Radeon FreeSync™ may intermittently become locked while on desktop after performing task switching between extended and primary displays upon closing a game, causing poor performance or stuttering. A system restart is a potential workaround if this is experienced.
- Performance metrics may incorrectly report temperatures on Ryzen™ 5 1600 series processors.
- The download or launch Ryzen Master buttons in Radeon Software may intermittently disappear or may fail to initialize Ryzen Master.
- If Ryzen Master is not detected in Adrenalin software after installation, a system restart maybe required.
AMD Link for Windows Known Issues
- AMD is investigating isolated reports of intermittent loss of signal during Stream Optimization if HEVC is used on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products or later. A workaround is to use the AVC encoding setting instead.
- Intermittent grey frame corruption might be observed when streaming with HEVC on certain configurations via an Internet connection. A workaround is to use the AVC encoding setting instead.
- GD-159, AMD Link requires Radeon™ Software version 21.4.1. Game streaming requires phone or tablet which supports Android 7.0 and greater or iOS 12 and greater, anywhere there is a high-speed internet connection. For TV support, Apple TV 4th and 5th generation running tvOS 12.x and greater, or Android TV 7.0 and greater are required. Streaming at 4K requires 4K capable streaming hardware and is compatible with: AMD Radeon™ GCN-based discrete graphics and newer. Supports Windows® 10. Link Game requires an internet connection. Controllers must be compatible with selected game and headset, please consult vendor for compatibility information.
- GD-187 Radeon™ Software Adrenalin Edition 21.4.1 Vivid Gaming color preset and color correction features are available on Radeon™ RX 5000 and 6000 Series Graphics, Ryzen™ 4000 Series Processors with Radeon™ Graphics, and newer with Windows 10 exclusively. Streaming Wizard and Crash Defender features are available with Windows 10 only. AV1 decode support is available on Radeon™ Graphics 6000 series dGPUs exclusively; and requires Windows 10 with KB5000842 updates as well as supported content from streaming services.
The Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.4.1 installation package contains the following:
- Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.4.1 Driver Version 21.10.02 for Windows 10 and 21.09.02 for Windows 7 (Windows Driver Store Version 27.20.21002.112)
The Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.4.1 installation package can be downloaded from the following links:
By clicking the Download button, you are confirming that you have read and agreed to be bound by the terms and conditions of the End User License Agreement (“EULA”). If you do not agree to the terms and conditions of these licenses, you do not have a license to any of the AMD software provided by this download.
- Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.4.1 Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit
- Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.4.1 Driver for Windows® 7 64-bit
Installing Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition
For detailed instructions on how to correctly uninstall or install Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition, please refer to the following support resources:
- How-To Uninstall Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition on a Windows® Based System
- How-To Install Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition on a Windows® Based System
This driver is not intended for use on AMD Radeon products running in Apple Boot Camp platforms. Users of these platforms should contact their system manufacturer for driver support.
When installing Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.4.1 for the Windows® operating system, the user must be logged on as Administrator, or have Administrator rights to complete the installation of Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 21.4.1.
Radeon Product Compatibility
Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.4.1 is compatible with the following AMD Radeon products.
Radeon™ RX 6900 Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Series Graphics Radeon™ RX 6800 Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R9 Nano Series Graphics Radeon™ RX 6700 Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R9 300 Series Graphics Radeon™ RX 5700 Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R9 200 Series Graphics Radeon™ RX 5600 Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R7 300 Series Graphics Radeon™ RX 5500 Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R7 200 Series Graphics Radeon™ VII AMD Radeon™ R5 300 Series Graphics Radeon RX Vega Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R5 200 Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ Pro Duo AMD Radeon™ HD 8500 – HD 8900 Series Graphics Radeon™ RX 500 / Radeon 500X Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ HD 7700 – HD 7900 Series Graphics Radeon™ RX 400 Series Graphics
Mobility Radeon™ Product Compatibility
Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.4.1 is a notebook reference graphics driver with limited support for system vendor specific features.
AMD Radeon RX 5700M Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R7 M300 Series Graphics AMD Radeon RX 5600M Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R5 M300 Series Graphics AMD Radeon RX 5500M Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R9 M200 Series Graphics AMD Radeon RX 5300M Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R7 M200 Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ 600 Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R5 M200 Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R7 M400 Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ HD 8500M – HD 8900M Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R9 M300 Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ HD 7700M – HD 7900M Series Graphics
AMD Processors with Radeon Graphics Product Compatibility
Important Note for Laptop and All-In-One (AIO) PCs
AMD recommends OEM-provided drivers which are customized and validated for their system-specific features and optimizations.
If you experience issues using the Radeon™ Software Adrenalin Edition driver package downloaded from AMD.com, please install the OEM-provided drivers for full support and compatibility.
DESKTOP MOBILE AMD Ryzen™ Processors with Radeon™ Vega graphics AMD Ryzen™ Mobile processors with Radeon™ Vega graphics AMD Ryzen™ PRO Processors with Radeon™ Vega graphics AMD Athlon™ Mobile Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics AMD Athlon™ Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics AMD A-Series and FX processors with Radeon graphics AMD Athlon™ PRO Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics AMD Ryzen™ PRO Mobile processors with Radeon™ Vega graphics AMD A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R4, R5, R6, or R7 Graphics AMD Athlon™ PRO Mobile processors with Radeon™ Vega graphics AMD Pro A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R5 or R7 Graphics AMD A-Series™ PRO processors with Radeon™ graphics AMD Athlon™ Series APUs with Radeon™ R3 Graphics AMD FX-Series APUs with Radeon™ R7 Graphics AMD Sempron™ Series APUs with Radeon™ R3 Graphics AMD E-Series APUs with Radeon™ R2 Graphics AMD Radeon™ HD 8180 – HD 8400 Series Graphics
Compatible Operating Systems
Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.4.1 is designed to support the following Microsoft® Windows® platforms. Operating System support may vary depending on your specific AMD Radeon product.
- Windows® 10 64-bit version
- Windows® 7 64-bit version