• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Post your Cinebench R20 scores here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Again, I am wondering if Maxon's hand is forced by terms of distributing it through the MS store...

That depends, if MS paid Maxon for the exclusive license to distribute the software, yes. But anyway if MS did that, its a frustrated attempt to bring user attention to their store, which nobody cares.

I downloaded mine from Techspot (not Techpowerup). No sign in and no fuss. But, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the file is taken down from that site too.

This link to this was posted on page 2.

Maxon Sends Legal Threats to PC Enthusiast Websites Hosting Portable Cinebench R20 Downloads

Maxon last week week posted its Cinebench R20 CPU benchmark. Breaking convention, the company behind rendering software such as Cinema 4D R20, did not host the installer of Cinebench R20 on its own website. Instead, the software is being exclusively distributed through Microsoft Store (for Windows) and Apple App Store (for the MacOS platform). Several reputable PC enthusiast websites such as Guru3D and us, were bombarded by comments from their readers that they didn't like having to get their Cinebench R20 copy from "walled garden DRM platforms," and instead preferred portable versions of the software. Cinebench R20 is freeware, and so with good intentions, many PC enthusiast websites decided to build portable versions of Cinebench R20 that people can just unzip and run. Maxon did not take kindly to this.

Guru3D received legal threats from Maxon to take down their download hosting of Cinebench R20 portable. Facing these threats, Guru3D took down their download and amended their news articles with links to the Microsoft DRM store. The e-mail we received politely asked us to remove the "unauthorized download" but did include a threat that the company "reserves the next legal steps." We believe this behavior by Maxon is unfair, and will alienate a section of PC enthusiasts form Cinebench. No record-seeking PC enthusiast with an LN2 bench painstakingly set up has time to plug their machine to the Internet, launch the UWP store, evade attempts to get them to log in with a Microsoft account, and fetch Cinebench R20 with versions they have no control over. They'd rather install and run their benchmarks and tools off a flash drive, with control over versions, and the ability to keep their machines offline to stabilize their overclock. Many others simply hate DRM platforms for freeware. TechPowerUp has since taken down Cinebench R20 portable from its Downloads section. You can find it on Microsoft UWP Store.

The techspot website still has the cinebench r20 file available for download as of this morning.

But it's free at the MS store just like everywhere else so it's not really much of an issue. I got my copies from Guru 3D just because I generally avoid going to MS or Google for anything as a general rule.

Yes, it's "free" from the Microsoft Store, but they make you register and then you are probably spied on and tracked. Lots of folks, myself included, try to avoid all that nonsense.

But... as Earthdoggy said, let's just focus on the Cinebench R20 scores in this thread. LOL, that's funny, the guy (me) who rambles and gets off-track all the time is telling people to stay on topic. ;)

Come on folks lets generate some more interest here! I'd like to see more submissions from the overclocking community on this promising new benchmark!

Come on folks lets generate some more interest here! I'd like to see more submissions from the overclocking community on this promising new benchmark!

Don't know about everyone else but I kind of lost interest after the heavy hand Maxon was showing. I don't care what drove it but seriously I was thinking of closing the thread all together. I have no interest in supporting this any further to be honest!

Don't know about everyone else but I kind of lost interest after the heavy hand Maxon was showing. I don't care what drove it but seriously I was thinking of closing the thread all together. I have no interest in supporting this any further to be honest!

You wouldn't be the 1st, and i dont blame you, i know people on other forum that did exactly that, and then someone else started a new thread, with the scores of the old thread, for those you still care and want the results updated.
I also don't support Maxon/MS BS, so this is probably my last contribute at least for a while.

I think single thread scores are important to compare IPC across different generations so it would be nice if they where added to the topic:

godevskii / [email protected] ghz + ddr4@3400 mhz cl16 / custom WC / 573

Single Thread
573 cb - godevskii - i7 8700k - 5.4 ghz - ddr4 3400 cl16
573cb 5.4 3400cl16.jpg

Figured I'd see how bad my mini ITX Pentium system would score. The 913 score was actually better than I'd expected. :thup:

CinebenchR20Score-G5500-913.jpg

Finally my trusty old i7 Sandy Bridge laptop managed an 813 score. :clap:

Cinebench R20 - 813.jpg

Last edited:
Back