• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4B SL6RZ is the bomb!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
melon_stunner,your getting some nice temps.The 1.575 voltage is damn nice at that clock,sweet.:)

WHQLbob,isn't that 4:5 ratio a little too much to be running at that high FSB?.I know your running PC3500 XMS.The memory must be screaming at 4:5.You need to drop it to 1:1 or 3:4.

dam, maybe i will get a 2.4b instead of an a :)

have to see what the store has. - hopefulyl since i am in Costa Rica i can get a week 44 chip, would be nice!

Lastride: Currently I have it clocked at 170FSB w/ 425mhz mem freq, my memory frequency options are: Auto, 340, 453, 425 (Listed in that order in the bios) imo thats some what confusing, wouldn't the 4:5 ratio be 453mhz and 3:4 be 425mhz? and 1:1 being 340mhz. I was told on the asusboards.com thread that the (425mhz) was the 4:5 ratio...

The XMS PC3500 is rated for 433DDR at cas 2.I had 2 sticks of 256 of that stuff.The sticks I had did spec and no more.If it is running over 433 that could be trouble and your problem.I can't figure out the ratios myself.My 8RDA+ goes from 50% all the way to 200% in ratios.More ratios than you can shake a stick at,12 of them.I know 125% is 3:4 and 125% is 4:5.I had them written down and lost it.I can't figure out what they are myself..LOL.If you still have trouble going higher try 340mhz.You could be running more than what your memory can handle.Also try more relaxed timings like 2/2/2/7 or 2/3/3/7

Last edited:
I c, well this is what I've tried so far,
at 2/2/2/6 @ 175 fsb = bsod @ xp loading status
at 2/3/3/6 @ 175 fsb = hang @ xp loggin screen
at 2.5/3/3/6 @ 175 fsb = I'm running sisoft sandra right now.
but 2.5 on the Cas latency is no good, correct? I should try upping the sdram (APD) from 6 to 7... instead. Sorry for all the newbie question about ddr, I'm so used to my rdram setup :p I figured 433mhz xms ram should be able to handle 450mhz no problem, so far I've been completely wrong unless I up the dimm vcore to 2.9. btw all my current testing is done with auto dimm vcore, which in turn will not go over its 2.7v spec, I assume

*edit* heh, well I just looked at the corsair xms3500 pdf spec and noticed the timings are 2-3-3-7... it doesn't list the dimm vcore though.. wish I had a official word if it was 2.7v, I've read from a few different posts 2.7, 2.75 and 2.8 :/

*edit* Melon_stunner: yes I'm running the latest drivers, btw what are you currently running your 2.4b @? You've posted so many awesome OC's curious to know what you've settled at for everyday use.

Maybe I'm pushing to high, I can run stable at 170fsb/425mhz ddr, 2.70 dimm vcore w/ 2,3,3,7.

or like I said if I push the dimm vcore to 2.9 I can run 180fsb/450mhz ddr, w/ 2,5,5,5.

Also I see your able to run your xms3200 at 2.8v, which bothers the hell out of me since my dimm vcore options are only 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 and 2.9, just totally skips 2.8v! thats why I was saying maybe I should switch to your epox board.

Last edited:
XMS PC3500 is ok ram.I had it and sold it.It would not do any higher than the spec like you said 2/3/3/7 at 433DDR so try those timings,but make sure your not over 433.Yes, cas 2 is better,but there is not much of a difference between cas 2 and cas 2.5 There is no noticable difference that you would see.So don't feel bad if you have to run 2.5 cas and up the APD to 7 2.5/3/3/7.Later on you can experiment with a little tighter timings.For now you want 2.5/3/3/7 .Try both 340 and 425 also.The vdimm voltage should be ok up to 2.8.Anything over that is a little high.At relaxed timings you should not have to crank your vdimm.You should be able to run 2.5 vdimm at these settings.I am pretty sure spec is 2.5 vdimm.Right now you want to find out where your CPU tops out so setting the ram to 340 is a good idea until you get to 1.7 Vcore at "idle" with 2.5/3/3/7 timings how far the CPU takes you.This will eliminate that your ram is not holding you back and you will find the limit of your CPU.Also 1.7V "IDLE" is considered safe.You do not want to go over that.Some think 1.75 is safe also,but to be extra safe 1.7V is where you want to be.

Ok so the highest I was able to reach with this cpu is 3.330ghz:
(1:1 ratio)
185 FSB, 370 Mem Freq, 1.525vcore, Ram vcore <auto>, 2.5-3-3-7

(3:4 ratio)
173 FSB, 433 Mem Freq, 1.525vcore, Ram vcore <auto>, 2.5-3-3-7

I'll keep trying to tweek the memory timings and bench the CPU vs Mem speed to see which will overall be better.. in your opinions what would be best? Higher cpu mhz or higher memory frequency?

Also do you think I'll have better results using XMS3200 or another type of PC3200? like OCZ...

Thanks for all your help/input :)

3.330GHz at 1.525 voltage is excellent overclock.Your at default voltage.Not sure if your stable though.You need to run Prime95 or whatever you like to use.For memory memtest86 10 loops all 11 tests.I got better scores on sandra cas 2.5 then cas 2.Don't ask me why,but I did.Run some benches for higher CPU or memory frequency and see what seems faster to you.As far as ram goes.I bought 2 sticks of OCZ 256MB PC3500EL Dual Channel ram.One stick was defective and the other stick barely did spec at 2.9 vdimm.OCZ replaced both.The new sticks do 474 and 476 DDR at 2.5/3/3/7 which is pretty good.I never tested yet for cas 2/2/2/7 which is what they are rated for at 434 but these will do higher since they go pretty high,maybe 450-460 at cas 2.The only problem with OCZ is the quality control.Seems like a lot of bad sticks get through.Their customer support is excellent.They gave me a gladiator cooler,OCZ Ratzpad and thermal grease with my new sticks.A friend of mine RMA'd his 2 512MB 3500EL sticks and they sent him 2 3700 512MB for replacements.These are rated cas 2.5 and one did 474 while the other had a tough time at 460.You know what I mean about quality control.A lot of people seem to be using the twinmos with winbond chips that you can get from memoryx. PC3200 512MB $134.For people on a tight budget a buddy bought some Kingston HyperX PC3000 512MB for $89 and hit 414DDR at the same place.I don't think he tried higher.If your looking to run 450 you might want to look at some PC3700.The twinmos PC3200 has been known to hit that high too.You never know what your going to get with ram.It could be some killer sticks or crap.

Heh quality control.. nice, I'll look into the memory. I'll probably take my chances and try some OCZ out. Damn 474 and 476.. thats awesome. Hehehe maybe getting some bad memory from them wouldn't be such a bad idea :p Free ratzpad and Gladiator cooler sounds like a good deal. So where did you buy the ram from? memoryx? or is that a ram manufacturer...

I'm running Prime95 atm and will continue to till tomorrow sometime. Then I'll try out the memory86 tests.

I'll do some cpu/mem test tomorrow after work, wish I could just stay home and play OC'er all day ;) heh.

I sold the CPU I was using to LastRide now I am working on my other SL6RZ and right now it is burning in @ 3.06 on 1.45 (bios) vcore. Trying to get the highest o/c with the least amount of vcore possible!

When I had my other chip it ran @ 3.2 ghz using 4/5 ratio 24/7 using 1.44 (bios) vcore. Great damn chip.

Last edited:
Your right melon_stunner.The less voltage the better.Applying voltage also actually hurts benchmarks along with other things.I will be sending you a PM soon.WHQLbob,I bought the ram from a reseller here in Canada,but I sent the sticks to OCZ in California for the replacements.The also gave me a pair of sticks that were a good fit (matched) with the 8RDA+.melon_stunner,looks like you have another winner on your hands:).

Last edited:
3.2 ghz using 4/5 ratio ?! what memory were you using, the Corsair PC3200? is that xms? such a high fsb & ratio :( I want to get that high...

/me snaps his crappy xms3500 in half. heh :p

I think I'll go and exchange my memory tonight for xms3200 and see what type of OC results I get. what do you ya think?

BTW @ 185fsb/370mem freq I did get a hardware error this morning when I checked Prime95.

Sucks, the store I bought my memory at (central computers) doesn't keep the OCZ memory in stock, they just special order it.

Your ram should run spec.If it doesn't send it away for a replacement through Corsair or where you bought it from.I had a stick of PC3200 XMS cas 2 and it did 437 at 2.5/3/3/7 .I have had bad luck with good ram until recently when OCZ sent me a couple nice sticks.

I c, well yah my ram does run spec, actually thats what I'm running at now 437 2.5/3/3/7 , little higher then my spec. I'm just trying to OC too high I guess... I just see melon_stunner doing 3.2ghz w/ 4:5 ratio and want to do the same.

I still have much more testing to do.

So Melon_stunner at 3.2ghz w/ the 4:5 ratio what was your ram running at?

Last edited:
Well I think I'm going to spend the extra 100$ and get the Asus P4G8X Granitebay board.. I'm just kinda stumped on what memory to get. From what I read it looks like it doesn't matter if the memory can overclock that high since it only runs at a 1:1 ratio, so its more about how high the cpu/fsb can go. so hmm, XMS3200, XMS3200 LL TwinL or OCZ EL 3200 is the question. I'm willing to spend extra money to get the best, the p4pe just annoys me since I can't get that 2.8v. Overall I'd rather have the extra bandwidth with the P4G8X.. yum

Last edited:
Back