• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ w/ AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mantis187

Registered
i was looking on newegg at this board seems to get some good reviews. one of the posts i read was to check the stock voltage on the motherboard. does anyone know where i can find the voltage on this processor? i checked amds website i cannot seem to find it. i just dont want to fry anything. anyone happen to know?

( i read was to check the stock voltage on the motherboard ) =Check it for what? The cpu has voltage identity pins that tell the motherboard what is the required cpu voltage. So what can you really check?

( i read was to check the stock voltage on the motherboard ) =Check it for what? The cpu has voltage identity pins that tell the motherboard what is the required cpu voltage. So what can you really check?

"the stock VCore was set kind of high, check your voltages when you first start up"

is what was posted on the feedback portion

Are those the user reviews you were reading on newegg? I don't put much faith in what either of those users wrote at newegg.

Lugnuts
10/18/2011 2:08:17 PM
Tech Level: 3/5
Ownership: 2/5
Verified Owner
Rating: 5/5Great Mobo
Pros: This mobo worked great out of the box, cant complain

Cons: the stock VCore was set kind of high, check your voltages when you first start up

Other Thoughts: CPU was Phenom 965BE, lowered the Vcore to 1.325 from 1.4 and noticed lower temps, watts and still stable.

Another user RIZ further down says this >> Other Thoughts: The FIRST board fried itself (probably due to overvolting?) << However he made a previous statement that his 965 processor was over-volted. Well if he knew it was over-volted, why did he not change it? I think he was just guessing.

You might want to check out the thread below and the problems that user is having with the board and cpu you are all excited about.

AMD FX 4100 Throttling Gigabyte 990XA-UD3

Are those the user reviews you were reading on newegg? I don't put much faith in what either of those users wrote at newegg.

Lugnuts
10/18/2011 2:08:17 PM
Tech Level: 3/5
Ownership: 2/5
Verified Owner
Rating: 5/5Great Mobo
Pros: This mobo worked great out of the box, cant complain

Cons: the stock VCore was set kind of high, check your voltages when you first start up

Other Thoughts: CPU was Phenom 965BE, lowered the Vcore to 1.325 from 1.4 and noticed lower temps, watts and still stable.

Another user RIZ further down says this >> Other Thoughts: The FIRST board fried itself (probably due to overvolting?) << However he made a previous statement that his 965 processor was over-volted. Well if he knew it was over-volted, why did he not change it? I think he was just guessing.

You might want to check out the thread below and the problems that user is having with the board and cpu you are all excited about.

AMD FX 4100 Throttling Gigabyte 990XA-UD3

yea i checked that out. also the dude should realize that he should set all his cores in BIOS to be unlocked. i read somewhere that u can make all ur cores a perm ghz instead of letting the turbo boost regulate it. i could be wrong though

maybe i should just fork out the xtra 10 bucks and get the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+, i just would really have to hate to upgrade the BIOS right out of the box to get it to run with the FX4100 processor. alot of people are complaining about Newegg giving out out REV boards

All Gigabyte 990X/FX boards have 1 issue, no options to disable APM or control LLC in BIOS what as an effect causes voltage jumping, huge vdrop and throttling ( almost only while overclocking ). No matter if it's 990XA or FXA or any version like UD3/UD5/UD7, on all boards without special beta bios it's exactly the same ( and beta with LLC isn't public ). You can disable throttling using AOD - enable turbo core and disable it, then it's turning off ... but it's working only till you restart pc.
Since all 990X/FX boards have less or more issues, it's hard to recommend any board for FX cpu. Gigabyte would be perfect with fixed BIOS...

All Gigabyte 990X/FX boards have 1 issue, no options to disable APM or control LLC in BIOS what as an effect causes voltage jumping, huge vdrop and throttling ( almost only while overclocking ). No matter if it's 990XA or FXA or any version like UD3/UD5/UD7, on all boards without special beta bios it's exactly the same ( and beta with LLC isn't public ). You can disable throttling using AOD - enable turbo core and disable it, then it's turning off ... but it's working only till you restart pc.
Since all 990X/FX boards have less or more issues, it's hard to recommend any board for FX cpu. Gigabyte would be perfect with fixed BIOS...

Thanks for this, I was actually looking at the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+. I dont't want to hijack this thread, but is there a best scenario board with the above listed problems?

@"GatorChamp", looking at your signature, your rig is not short on power right now. Not sure why you need to upgrade but I used to get the bug also so I can understand it.

Right now there are many that are not going to go to Zambezi cpu since it is not showing to help out much in the programs they use. Some of those people would be posting in forums and give a wider view of what is what. I doubt that anyone could describe a best board for Zambezi right now. Too few are in use.

1. We are seeing users have to buy a cpu to flash to a bios to support BD cpu even on a 990 chipset motherboard. Resellers still have some of those earlier boards without the required BD bios in stock.

2. The BD 8150 cpus sent out for review were sent with the Asus Crosshair V motherboard if what I see was reality everywhere. I assume AMD was covering their bets with that choice of motherboard to send out for the reviewers to use.

3. It appears that giving the BD and 990 boards another month or so to sort out, might be the best bet right now. Give the resellers that sell a lot of boards a chance to be shipping boards with a true BD bios on them and not have to look for cpu to flash to BD bios.

4. There are a few people in the forum here writing about their "first" BD build and I would study what they are experiencing closely. At a minimum you can see what they are going thru with their BD / 990 build. They are receiving replies to their threads so you should get an idea of the nature of the beast as it is today.

Luck man.

I checked newegg again last night just to make some last minute shopping checks. Finally made up my mind and got the GA970AUD3. Alot of good reviews and some posted works fine with the zambezi

@"GatorChamp", looking at your signature, your rig is not short on power right now. Not sure why you need to upgrade but I used to get the bug also so I can understand it.

Right now there are many that are not going to go to Zambezi cpu since it is not showing to help out much in the programs they use. Some of those people would be posting in forums and give a wider view of what is what. I doubt that anyone could describe a best board for Zambezi right now. Too few are in use.

1. We are seeing users have to buy a cpu to flash to a bios to support BD cpu even on a 990 chipset motherboard. Resellers still have some of those earlier boards without the required BD bios in stock.

2. The BD 8150 cpus sent out for review were sent with the Asus Crosshair V motherboard if what I see was reality everywhere. I assume AMD was covering their bets with that choice of motherboard to send out for the reviewers to use.

3. It appears that giving the BD and 990 boards another month or so to sort out, might be the best bet right now. Give the resellers that sell a lot of boards a chance to be shipping boards with a true BD bios on them and not have to look for cpu to flash to BD bios.

4. There are a few people in the forum here writing about their "first" BD build and I would study what they are experiencing closely. At a minimum you can see what they are going thru with their BD / 990 build. They are receiving replies to their threads so you should get an idea of the nature of the beast as it is today.

Luck man.

My MOBO does not really seem to like speeds above 3.8 no matter what is done. My X2 550 maxed at like 3.8 and my 955 as well. Ideally I want to a) move to DDR3 memory b) be able to hit 4ghz, which I am going to try for again as I am suspect that my powersuppy may have had something to do with it and c) (this is the biggest one) I want to Xfire 6970 for BF3. One just does not give me the FPS I want at the settings I play at.

My MOBO does not really seem to like speeds above 3.8 no matter what is done. My X2 550 maxed at like 3.8 and my 955 as well. Ideally I want to a) move to DDR3 memory b) be able to hit 4ghz, which I am going to try for again as I am suspect that my powersuppy may have had something to do with it and c) (this is the biggest one) I want to Xfire 6970 for BF3. One just does not give me the FPS I want at the settings I play at.

No problem man. There are some that seem to have to upgrade in a hurry and I understand that. From all I have read the Asus Sabertooth motherboard is a good choice. A goodly number are using it in the forums here and the bios is already UEFI.

hmm just found something out that kinda worries me:

AMD FX-4100 3600MHz 1MBx4 8MB Bulldozer 32nm B2 95W 5200M/T's

the board im buying says it only supports up to 4800M/T's is this going to be a problem?

Man what you reading? I thought you said this board:
Learn more about the GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3
FSB 2600MHz Hyper Transport (5200 MT/s)

Well looks like they don't have a clue about proof-reading their stuff. The 970/950 chipset combo is rated at 5200MT/s

Well looks like they don't have a clue about proof-reading their stuff. The 970/950 chipset combo is rated at 5200MT/s

Yo Rgone with a Hyper 212 Plus what u think i can get for a OC with my rig? and at what vcore/volts u think i should start at?

GA-970A-UD3 AM3+
AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)

Okay, I am going to be as straight as I know how to be. I googled for FX-4100 + overclock and the reality was that I got no real hits. No hits. That tells me that there are not many FX-4100s in use and being written into posts about the results. So information is next to nothing when talking of overclocking that cpu. Most are 8150s and 8120s.

I would expect with the heat that the BD's seem to put off that the FX-4100 with a push-pull 212s+ should be good to 4.5Ghz stable at about 1.425 Vcore. Maybe a little less vCore since it is just a 4 core cpu.

The 212+ has been given many kudos for a low priced and good cooler. I think it is going to take an awesome cooler to handle the BD cpu's heat output when pushed.

Last edited:
Okay, I am going to be as straight as I know how to be. I googled for FX-4100 + overclock and the reality was that I got no real hits. No hits. That tells me that there are not many FX-4100s in use and begin written into posts about the results. So information is next to nothing when talking of overclocking that cpu. Most are 8150s and 8120s.

I would expect with the heat that the BD's seem to put off that the FX-4100 with a push-pull 212s+ should be good to 4.5Ghz stable at about 1.425 Vcore. Maybe a little less vCore since it is just a 4 core cpu.

The 212+ has been given many kudos for a low priced and good cooler. I think it is going to take an awesome cooler to handle the BD cpu's heat output when pushed.

i should have this build up and running by thursday-friday ill experiment and post any results i can come up with it. only thing im missing is the HD. right now im rocking 2 250g POS Maxtors 5400rpm sata drives. but they will be backup for when i get my Raptor drive ordered. SSD just way to pricey for the space. Now i currently have a Zalman 9700 cooler just thought maybe the Hyper 212 plus with TWO 120mm fans would push my air. i have the HAF case and never have any problems with air cooling. right now i got my dual core pent e8400 (3.0) oced to a (3.9) Never overheated never glitched nothing. i have been running it this way for over 4years

Back