• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 990x & HD7990 Too hot, Pls help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CRY&PRAY

Registered
Hello guys, i'm new here :)

I want to know why my CPU and my GPU are always way too hot.

The GPU has been undervolted and little bit oced but still hitting 90°c (1010 Mhz @ 1.145 v, fan speed 100% always!) 60°c Idle 100 % fan

The CPU usually stays around 50 °c at idle (package temp from the RC Bluetooth app says 44°c) but when i pump Prime95 or IntelBurnTest the hottest core can reach 95°c that seems a bit too much... CPU is Oced at 4 ghz (135x30 @ 1.25 v) even at stock it reaches 90°c... and yes the CPU and the GPU have been repasted well and the room temp is at 27°c with air condition. The case has 2 4000 Rpm CPU fans in the front sucking air in and 2 cheap chinese PSU fans on the top blowing out. A small fan on the LSI Raid Controller and the classic stock fan in the back pulling out, plus a small server fan (the ones that are really noisy) mounted on the stock intel dissipator pulling air from it and sending to the top fans.

Any help to lower these temps??

Thx Francesco.

HD7990 - i7 990x - Rampage 3 Extreme - 24 gb ddr3 1600 Corsair LP - LSI Megaraid 9260-8i raid0 2 sas cheetah 15k7 - AX1200i (overkill :D)

Welcome!!! :)

A couple of things..

1. Use Realtemp to see the core temperature of the Intel CPU. Package really does not matter.
2. 27C is pretty warm for a room so that is a minor part of the issue.
3. What cooler is on the 990x?
4. Stock cooler on the 7990?
5. So you only have one exhaust fan? Case airflow is a big problem. What case in the first place? Can you take a picture of your PC so we can see what is going on (please host it to the site... instructions below)

The bottom line is, you have a lot of high wattage stuff in your case and in order to cool it properly, you will need better case airflow it appears.

OCFinsertimages.png

1) not using real temp but perfmonitor2 (same core temps as realtemp)
2) yeah i know pretty warm here in Italy
3) both stock coolers
5) 3 exhaust fans (2 on the top, one on the back)
6) got to wait for some picture, let's say just the time to find the camera? :3 Here it comes my 50 KB/s upload...
The case is a cooler master cm 690 iii, the big fan in the front is pretty much useless so i've removed it and placed 2 cpu fans (3500-4000 rpm) much better airflow

Using the Corsair link thing i see a 600W peak while gaming, is ok?

_DSC0028.JPG

_DSC0029.JPG

FRONT FANS
_DSC0030.JPG

Last edited:
1. Cool. Only report those core temps... and what are they?
3. If you want to overclock, you will need to get a better cooler.
6. Im not sure those "2 CPU fans" (whatever that means?????) is actually getting enough air into the case...

600W is fine, you have a 1200W PSU (Could have went with 850W and saved some cash, but that is for your next build, LOL!).

didn't understand rly the first line :3
Yeah, i'll probably do some custom watercooling, 2 rad front and top and a GPU&CPU loop, but in the meantime...

Those CPU fans are: 1 is a SUNON server fan (pull out a massive flow of air) and the 2nd is a PSU fan that spin way faster than a normal one and has a good static pressure tho.

As the PSU.... when i saw it I was like IT HAS TO BE MINE NOW even if my pc uses 600watt, is 99% efficent and i'll probably use it in the next build... maybe some 780ti sli..

but the real question is WHY all the people having the same gpu can play all day long and reamain in the 70 °c limit, and why the cpu cores max out at 100°c but the packages is at 55°c? is the TIM inside the IHS gone?

IDLE

Ilde.bmp

load.bmp

Last edited:
I want the core temps... as far as I can read, you only gave package temps in the first post? If you gave core temps as well, I missed it.

The PSU is 92% efficient (Platinum) @ 50% load.

As far as your issue, the WHY can be a couple of things... A poor heatsink mount. A poor TIM application, or poor case airflow. I'm still not convinced enough air is getting into that case with those fans... are they both 120mm in size? Can you take a better picture that actually shows the internals of the case? Its tough to compare one rig to another temperature wise also for a couple of reasons. Their ambient temps could be a lot lower (there is 5C right there). They likely have better case airflow. As far as the CPU the TIM isn't 'gone'. The package is the temp on the back of the core and is usually nowhere close to the core temperature. The package temp on Intel CPUs is not relevant as I alluded to in my first post. An improper TIM application or mount of the heatsink could be the problem as well.

When you take the side panel off your case, do the temperatures for both the CPU and GPU lower?

EDIT: I see you added pictures... Yeah, those tiny CPU coolers, I would imagine are not bringing enough air into the case... They are tiny man! Also, please resize those pictures, they are HUGE! LOL!

EDIT2: I also see that cooler is sucking air from that hot running GPU, perhaps pointing that thing to exhaust out the back would help...But really, that tiny arse CPU fan isn't remotely bringing in enough air and the 120mm fan below it is being blocked by the HDD cages. Airflow is what I would change first.

Yep 92 % efficency, i just read the Corsair app that says 99%... I'll exclude the TIM application or poor heatsink mount, i have reinstalled it at least 20 times with different TIMs and waited the burn in time for those. Those "tiny" as you says are not that tiny, the fron ones are one 120 mm and one smaller "sunon maglev kde1209ptvx" that consumes 7 watts and is pretty powerfull, if those fans are not sufficient what you suggest me?

If i remove the panel temperatures wont get any lower that 1, maybe 2 °c

Sorry for the pics.. 24 mp camera and too lazy to resize :)

and the gpu? it pretty hot too, i've repasted it too

EDIT2: I also see that cooler is sucking air from that hot running GPU, perhaps pointing that thing to exhaust out the back would help...But really, that tiny arse CPU fan isn't remotely bringing in enough air and the 120mm fan below it is being blocked by the HDD cages. Airflow is what I would change first.

So, what can I do now?

Last edited by a moderator:
LIke I said in my edits, I would first change the direction of the CPU cooler/fans to have it blow out the rear so you are not DIRECTLY using heated air from the (RAID?) card but really the GPU below it. I would for sure replace that small "CPU fan" with something more appropriate (120mm fan). As far as fan suggestions, that isn't my bag... Another fan expert would need to help out there. But I use 120mm Yate Loon High's and set them around 1K RPM. You may need more for your hardware.

I see you again edited in pics... in those (thankfully they are not huge...seriously, resize any future images. ;)) I see max temps of 85C one one core which is not bad at all for using the overkill IBT...the rest are lower 80's or upper 70s. While not stress testing, say gaming and such, what are the load temps then? More reasonable? You can also replace the cooler with something a bit more robust, Noctua NHD-15 or to save a bit of money, Hyper 212 Evo (if is has the right mounts, not sure).

EDIT: I also just realized that the cooler yo have on the 7990 is dumping the vast majority of its heat into the case... Its a case airflow issue my man...

Again, model numbers.

What is the model number of each fan?
Where is it in the case?
Which direction is it blowing air?

So: Rotate the CPU cooler by 90° pushing out the back, replace that front fan with something better (that fan has 36.5 CFM) so I should get something better. As the gaming temps afaik they are around 60-70 °c which are the limit for me but it's ok. Probably i'll go watercooling both cpu & gpu but we're talking about 3-4 months. When i render stuff in C4D for an extended period of time the CPU peaks at 90 °c and i use throttlestop to lower everything so it can cool down. Well i'll try to rotate the CPU heatsink and find a better fan for the intake.

But the GPU? it runs pretty hot too! a day I tried to mine some bitcoins ;) hit 101°c pc shutdown. while gaming with that config in the first post it stays around 80-90 °c. 60°c idle!!!!

Not enough and warm recirculated intake air = warmer temps... been saying that throughout............................

You simply need to go buy some fans that are worth using.

Go get an NH-D15 for the CPU.
Get four NF-P14s Redux fans. These will be used in the front (intake) and top (exhaust).
Get four NF-S12B Redux fans. These will be used in the side (intake), rear (exhaust), and bottom (intake)

Well, Probably i'll buy some decent fans... I don't have a side hole to put a fan, but it's plastic so i could drill a hole for it and put a nice metal grid, but where? under the gpu, in the middle? The gpu sucks air from the bottom and exaust from the border hitting the panel and going up.

EDIT:
I like the heatsink and the NF-P14s Redux fans, seems too low on the rpm tho.
and i don't get why NF-S12B Redux have those thin fan blades and lower rpm.

what if I get that awesome beast of CPU cooler and a full set of corsair fans? all high airflow low static pressure cuz i don't have anything to put pressure on, the filters have been all removed except the bottom one.
Noise is not a problem, only if it became a turbine jet and starts to hover :)

EDIT2:

Just thinking... i have a quadcopter with 4 750Kv motors & 10x4.5 propellers and the ESC can run on 12v :attn::attn:

Last edited:
Just take off two of the 120mm fans since you don't have a side panel hole.

Low RPM =/= low airflow. Those Noctua fans will be head over heels better than what you have now.

I would avoid Corsair fans, the ones I've used are anywhere from junk to meh.

Well, the best of the best you could do with my pc for 200-250 € (300 $) even watercooling is an option, the Heatsink for the cpu will be probably my next purchase for sure, for the rest you have "white paper" (italian way to say do whatever you think is ok)

You won't set up a custom water loop worth having for 250 Euros. (Assuming you would include CPU and GPU)
The NH-D15 performs with the best of the AIO units, so I wouldn't bother with those.

I would get the case fans before the heatsink.
The best heatsink in the world will perform like crap if you don't have good airflow through your case.

Tell me the best fans+CPU cooler for that price and the next month they will be inside my pc no problem, i've searched the NH-15 (100 €) but in the name it doesn't says LGA1366, the NH-14 (80€) does, that's strange!

The NH-D14 would easily do what you need as well. Just verify that it will clear your RAM.

Back