• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 990x & HD7990 Too hot, Pls help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The NH-D14 will absolutely work with that!
I'd get the 4x NF-P14s Redux and 2x NF-S12B Redux fans to go with it.

Not the cheapest solution, but Noctua is definitely top-end equipment.

yep, i like that config! probably i'll buy all that stuff, not the cheapest as you said, but hey 68 CFM for these fans!!!

yep, i like that config! probably i'll buy all that stuff, not the cheapest as you said, but hey 68 CFM for these fans!!!

Exactly.
Noctua is very good about their fans actually meeting the published specs as well.
A lot of cheaper fans fall short of the advertised numbers for flow and pressure.

They are great fans, I just recommend the Redux lineup now because of the colors.

I would get all the random Chinese fans out of your case...

The NH-D14 comes with two fans.

I kinda like that brown color, in case I have some spraypaint leftover here... :attn:

Last question, the front fans will be covered by the HDD cage, at least the bottom one, what can I do?

I would avoid painting the fans, it can cause an imbalance in the impeller if not done properly.

If your HDD cages are modular, you can remove all or part of them pending your usage of them.
If they're not modular I would just leave it be.

I can only remove the entire 3 HDD cage :(, i'll move the 2 cheetah drives in the cd bay and screw then down DIY style :attn: :attn:

Sounds like a plan!

You could also try it with just the new fans to see how much improvement you get, if you want to avoid cutting the case up.

i've got a better idea:

-Turn the CPU tower cooler 90° so it's pointing to the rear exhaust
-Remove the blanking plates from the ODD drive bays
-Put a decent fan in the ODD bays
-Use some cardboard to make a "windtunnel" so the air from the front goes straight into the CPU tower cooler

=> instant 10°C temp drop

PS: why do i feel i know the girl on the screen?

You're talking to Mr. DIY, the guy who is too lazy to get some molex to attach LEDs and Fans that takes some tape and stuck the wires inside the PSU cable ;) Tomorrow i'll rotate the heatsink and move the HDDs, next month i'll buy 4 fans to begin we'll see for the NH-D14

i've got a better idea:

-Turn the CPU tower cooler 90° so it's pointing to the rear exhaust
-Remove the blanking plates from the ODD drive bays
-Put a decent fan in the ODD bays
-Use some cardboard to make a "windtunnel" so the air from the front goes straight into the CPU tower cooler

=> instant 10°C temp drop

PS: why do i feel i know the girl on the screen?

Yep but doing that "windtunnel" will close the airflow for the GPU, the hot air from the GPU has to go upward crossing the tunnel for the cpu.. Great idea tho

well no, that is the thing... the CPU will get direct air from the front... the tunnel only needs to be as "big" as the tower.. basically a 120mm square pipe

Any other air entering the case can now be used by all other components like the GPU; any "hot" air can get out of the case by any other exhaust fan... this "hot" air will "go around" the windtunnel and exhaust through the top for example

Its all pretty basic fluid dynamics actually, nothing to it :)

PS: The girl looks a lot like a woman i used to know a logn time ago when i was in Bergamo for my job.

Yesterday i've moved the Sunon Mangelev fan that actually pushes a lot of air !! (spins at 4300 rpm/ 75 CFM) glued in the ODD bay pushing air to the rotated CPU heatsink that blows hot air from the back fan, the temps did get lower by 3-4 °c and i've placed the big 200 mm fan that comes with the case rated at 110 CFM max (where are these 110 cfm??) and the GPU got hotter by 6 °c....
I did an experiment by making a paper tube wrapped in toilet paper to avoid condensing that takes the air of my AC and goes in the front fan... TEMPS GOT VERY LOW!!!! cpu idle at 27 °c / 80°c @4.4Ghz and the gpu maxed out all stock with 1010 Mhz OC at 76 °c.
The AC is capable of serious 6 °c cold air!! and yes i have a termometer with a probe of an old french fries machine

Last edited:
75CFM @ 4300RPM? That's terrible...
I have 1800RPM 120mm fans that do 80CFM+

Hence, having you get new fans for the whole case.

75CFM @ 4300RPM? That's terrible...
I have 1800RPM 120mm fans that do 80CFM+

Hence, having you get new fans for the whole case.

yes but for a 92x92x25 fan is a lot for me :3
:attn:

tell me what fans you have :) cuz the noctua AF-14 PWM will do 68 CFM, if your are cheaper and pushes more air, noise isn't a problem.

Last edited:
.... if noise isn't a problem...... http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata..._info&cPath=36_1130_49_1050&products_id=39866 :D

Actually, try to source some AFB1212M or H or VHE or SHE ...
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=36_407_696&products_id=26058
in PWM mode they are not taht loud if they don't ramp up to max speed, and even at lower speed they still outperform most fans.. just look at their PQ table http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/dcfans/download/pdf/AFB/AFB120x120x25.4mm.pdf

Of course.. you could put in a 200mm THB2048CT.... at +800 CFM that's all the air you ever gonna need :)
http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/dcfans/download/pdf/THB/THB200x200x70.pdf
(needs a dedicated PSU though)

mmmm... delta fans <3 that 120 mm consume 50 watts :attn:, i think that my AX1200i won't be enough for all these fans in my case (50x5=250 watt only in fans) :facepalm:. That 200 mm fans goes at 48v and uses 230w!, i think i'll stuck with 4 noctua AF-A14 PWM. Do you know any noctua fan (140mm) that can push more than 68 cfm of these? (i saw the IPCC something industrial thing)

Back