• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is rounded IDE cables more fault tolerant than regular flat IDE cables?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jjyiz28

Registered
or are they more or less the same? just don't feel comfortable running anything longer than 18". If rounded is more tolerant to faults, then ill get 24" rounded.

also, 18" is the stated maximum for an IDE cable, but in real world will running 24" cause any problems?

Rounded IDE cables are less fault tolerent. The reason is the generally dont have the same protection normal IDE cables have so there is more noise in the line. But don't stress it to much. As long as you dont buy the cheapo generic ones your going to be OK. There are very very very few reported incidents reported of round IDE cables being the culprit of data corruption. Ive never really heard of a case yet.

And going 24" IDE cable will be ok. I've used IDE cables 6 foot long with out a problem.

i have a set of 24" rounded cables that i've used for 2 years. When i bought them, they cost $30 each. They have been WELL worth the purchase. i've bought other, 'cheaper' ones because they look cooler/work with my mod scheme better, but they always fall apart or have some kind of data corruption. Just remember, you get what you pay for! j :)

With rounded cables, you really do get what you pay for. Flat ribbon cables will give the best signal, though good rounded cables can be alright if you're careful about what you get. I've got some fairly cheap rounded cables, and after 6 months they're causing problems.

If you're going for a 24" run, I think it'd probably be better to just use a ribbon cable since getting a rounded cable of the nesscary quality will probably cost quite a bit more...

JigPu

Back