• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Little success in o'c gains when upping voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikapc

I don't understand it. While I haven't been wholly unsuccessful overclocking as my Athlon XP 2100 running at 2.2Ghz proves I've had, upping the voltage has done nothing to improve stability when trying to overclock higher. I have a watercooled rig so heat is not the issue. I've experienced similar issue with the northbridge. My Epox 8RD3A+ can reach approximately 220mhz and still be stable enough to not crash when running prime95. Upping the voltage for my nortbridge from 1.6 to 1.8 did nothing to help. Has anyone else had a similar experience where upping the voltage has had no positive effect?

I'm guessing it's a Thoroughbred B, you should be able to get 2.3 GHz out of it with increased V core voltage like to 1.8 or 1.9 volts.

Some poeple needed 2 volts to get to 2.3 GHz which is what all 2100+ Bs ever made can do with adequate cooling and setups.

Over 2.3 GHz has been done many times but not all Thoroughbred Bs can go above 2.3 GHz except for famous DLT3C B's (not A's).

If voltage has no effect whatsoever, then its quite possible that a different component could be limiting you.

What did you change the voltage from/to?

IMOG said:
If voltage has no effect whatsoever, then its quite possible that a different component could be limiting you.

Very true!

What sort of power supply are you running?

He's OK with the PSU, it's the SPARKLE FSP400-60PFN in his sig.

My $ is on his Vcore being too low for 2.3 GHz.

I generally experimented with voltages up to around 1.75volts. At that temp even my watercooling rig was having trouble keeping the temp within reason. I don't know why but if my cpu or system temp goes to around 48 it will just shut off and no it's not a bios auto shut off configuration issue, as I have mine set to shut off only after reaching 56c. Also I'm rather disappointed with corsair ram that I have considering what I payed for it. I can only get a o/c a few mhz above 200mhz before the ram will fail in memtest. I'm thinking of just selling my 512megs of corsair twinx 3200 ram and buying instead a gig of generic 3700 ram and moving my fsb to 220 mhz which is the highest my northbridge can handle I think.

Honestly, I think it's better to buy generic high-speed RAM than it is to buy high-end low-speed RAM and PRAY TO GOD that it overclocks. I got high-end HIGH SPEED RAM (OCZ PC4000EL Gold) and it didn't even get to its rated speed. So I sold it at a huge loss to a friend and got some cheaper PC4000. Right now it's on its way so I'm using the RAM from the person I sold my stuff to.

As for voltages, it just happens where more voltage does nothing. Often it's just the motherboard/chipset not being able to handle the speeds. Also, from what I know, sometimes lower FSB will allow you to reach higher CPU speeds with lower voltages. It's happened to me now that I have this slow RAM but now it's much easier to run at 2.6ghz.

yeah, I made the mistake of assuming that with corsair I was paying for ram that would o/c well but that was not the case. While the ram works at the speed it's supposed to with rather good timings I don't see how it's better then other ram that can handle up to 400mhz. Ram either works or it doesn't right at a certain frequency?

mikapc said:
Yeah, I was aware, I've tried 2.9 before, not 3.2 though. 3.2 won't fry my ram?

I hope not Ive been running 3.3 thru my mushkin 2x256 pc3200LVL2 bh-5 and pc3200 hyperx2x256 bh-5 for some time now with no problem's yet just make sure you have really good air flow in your case. Xtreme overclocker's use up to around 4.0 volts' on there ram so IMO .5 less should be ok :rolleyes:

Hehe... I would say, My compuser is enclosed within a cabinet, the case is open and I have a real fan ( for humans, 3 speed) blowing on the exposed case. It kind of compensates for the computer being entirely enclosed within this large wooden cabinet.

Why don't you run MBM5 and check your voltage rails and whatnot. When you set your NB voltage up it could still be fluctuating. I have a 400watt Sparkle as well (FSP-GN I think) and my 12V rail is at 11.55V. That is why I cannot get higher than 223fsb =( I am L12 modded and all. Check your voltages and fluctuations before beating yourself down mang.

g0dM@n said:
Why don't you run MBM5 and check your voltage rails and whatnot. When you set your NB voltage up it could still be fluctuating. I have a 400watt Sparkle as well (FSP-GN I think) and my 12V rail is at 11.55V. That is why I cannot get higher than 223fsb =( I am L12 modded and all. Check your voltages and fluctuations before beating yourself down mang.

Y not just open the psu up and see if it has adjustable pot's as most do and up you rail's to what you want them @ usig a MM or in bios?

There are dials INSIDE the PSU for 400 watt Sparkle? If so, I'll do it too lol.

2 are for the volt's the other 3 are for the ocp

dunno if there is take it apart and look

What's OCP? And how do I know which turns up/down which. What do the dials look like? Link me if you cannot explain. Thanks!

Back