• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 4P build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What does Memtest86 say?

It don't say anything, it don't have a mouth :) The version I have only tests 4GB but it did pass all tests on the 4GB of mem, I even ran Ubuntu 12.10 from the DVD and it ran ok.
Now it seems to be working (kinda) I still got the beeping after the install was done abd it reboots, but after cutting power for a few seconds and powering back up, Ubuntu runs, laggy but it runs.
Going to try Win 2008 r2 next and see how that goes.

This has been a big headache for me and I'll be glad when it's working and I can just leave it alone :rofl:

I don't know if this is an issue on your mobo, but on some SuperMicro boards, powering the fans, especially a lot of fans or fans with a large current draw (big), makes the board run very slow and jerky.

If you have a lot of fans, or big fans, use the psu to power them, instead of the board.

I don't know if this is an issue on your mobo, but on some SuperMicro boards, powering the fans, especially a lot of fans or fans with a large current draw (big), makes the board run very slow and jerky.

If you have a lot of fans, or big fans, use the psu to power them, instead of the board.

I'll look into that, 1 thing I noticed when installing Ubuntu 12.10 was a lot of Microcode files was missing, would that have anything to do with the slow response?

Edit: I installed Win 2008 r2 and there is no lag so my copy of Ubuntu is faulty maybe? :) Anyway it's up and running and no I'm not going to run after it :)

Last edited:
Well, it's up and folding, I put Win 7 on for now untill I learn more about Win 2008 r2. I tried to run V7 F@H on 2008 and got a side-by-side error.

Edit: the core temps run about 32-36c at 100% on project 7809 (7, 438, 32)

Last edited:
Glad to see it up and working. :clap:

So you're running it with two cpu's atm?

Whenever I d/l a new version of Linux, I get it from a trusted site only, and then when I burn it to a disc, I make sure the burn speed is about half the maximum burn speed of the burner.

And you'll laugh at this, but I'm very careful to avoid walking near the system, while it's burning. My opinion is, any vibration is a bad one when you're burning a CD. Naturally, I don't fold while I'm d/l'ing or burning a Linux file, either.

But my network connection is not great, either.

So you're running it with two cpu's atm?

And you'll laugh at this, but I'm very careful to avoid walking near the system, while it's burning. My opinion is, any vibration is a bad one when you're burning a CD. Naturally, I don't fold while I'm d/l'ing or burning a Linux file, either.

Temporarily I'm running on 2, when I know more on 2008 r2, then I'll move up. :thup::comp:
Well, my floors are concrete so I don't think I could cause any vibration if I wanted to :)

Has anyone run V7 F@H on 2008 rs ? And if so, did you run into any problems? And what did you do to fix those problems?

I tried 2008 r2 for about 2 minutes.
It wouldn't run and I assume it needed to be run as a service of something so I wiped it and installed Ubuntu and haven't looked back.

Win7.jpg

Now if only I can get this to run using all 64 cores :D
I did not set any flags so I'm not expecting any great points.

Looks beautiful! :comp:

Is that why you want to use 2008 r2, because it will recognize 4 cpu's?

There is no expiration date on this version? Inexpensive or free or what's the story on it?

I believe he wants to use Windows - specifically this particular version of Windows.

I believe he wants to use Windows - specifically this particular version of Windows.

I'm going to have to use Linux on it if I want to fold with all 64 cores, I used V7.3.4 and it only used 32 cores in 2008 r2 :( And I could not get to the expert page, I clicked on the slot and nada, zip, zilch, zero :)
For now, I'm going to be using this server in my IT school to train on for Network Engineer, the teacher is going to let me use it in class. :thup:

Linux is a good choice, since it folds faster than Windows. The 32 core limit is interesting. I wonder why.

Will the 4P SWTX format Supermicro H8QGi-F motherboard fit in the Cooler Master Cosmos II?

Supermicro 4P G34 H8QGi-F.jpg

Doesn't look like expansion slots will be the issue. Standoff locations most likely will have to be changed on the MB tray.

Looking forward to seeing your successful 64 core FAH deployment :popcorn:

I love 4P builds. :thup:

Let me check here.

Ok, SWTX Dimensions are 16.48" x 13" (418 x 330 mm)

Code:
Dimension (W / H / D) 	344 x 704 x 664 mm / 13.5 x 27.7 x 26.1 inch
Weight 	22kg / 48.5 lb
M/B Type 	Micro-ATX, ATX, E-ATX, XL-ATX, SSI CEB, SSI EEB

So it has the room - but SWTX format puts a LOT of the board up above the card slots - so even though you have enough total space, you will also need the card slots of the case, to line up with the card slots on the mobo.

See what you can find where someone has tried it with this case, but like most all the other cases, I expect at least some modifications would be needed. [H] and OCN would probably be the best forums to ask about it, but have you asked the dealer, yet?
He probably won't know, but he could find out.

Sturdy case at 48.5 lbs, though! I'm thinking the aluminum and plastic must be a small part of the case composition, and steel must be a major part of it.

Last edited:
Back