• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 4P build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's why I like the 120mm Noctua HS and fans. They fit fine, cool better, and are wonderfully quiet. They aren't the only good HSF's however. Dave, Leonardo, and several others have had great results using the 212 and 212+ family of HSF's. Any fan that you keep the dust/hair, etc. out of, and the lubrication in, is very likely to last a long time, imo.

Can you run both types of Opterons, at the same time? I thought you could choose one or the other, but not mix types.

WHAT?!? You don't mix CPU's :facepalm: This MB can run 6100's, 6200's and 6300's chips but not all at same time. :rofl:

Can you run both types of Opterons, at the same time? I thought you could choose one or the other, but not mix types.

WHAT?!? You don't mix CPU's :facepalm: This MB can run 6100's, 6200's and 6300's chips but not all at same time. :rofl:

Let's back up. How's your new 4P system?

Thanks for the pics - they're clear as a bell, and stunning. :thup:

Let's back up. How's your new 4P system?

Thanks for the pics - they're clear as a bell, and stunning. :thup:

Not good at the moment, after loading files to the HDD during the install and it reboots, I get 5 short beeps and 1 long beep, the manual says it's memory problem. Also I need to remove the CPU's and hopefully get my money back and get the right chips I wanted in the 1st place.

Be persistent with the boot up. Your mobo is the same as mine, I believe, and mine usually requires 3-5 "memory errors" boot ups, before it has the capacitors charged up right, before it boots up properly.

Once it's booted up, it runs perfectly - no problem during a 15 month period of folding bigAdv, but every boot up is an adventure in patience, faith, and a touch of suppressed panic on my part. One time, it took 12 boot ups before it succeeded, because I had cut off the power at the psu - which drains all the capacitors, and didn't give them any time to power back up before I tried a series of boots. Live and learn, I guess.

Good luck with that, and keep us posted. I've had real reservations about getting cpu's second hand, for this reason. I'm interested if your seller will make good on the deal, and the way it's handled in general.

Ahhhhhhh!! I'm seeing double :)

Be persistent with the boot up. Your mobo is the same as mine, I believe, and mine usually requires 3-5 "memory errors" boot ups, before it has the capacitors charged up right, before it boots up properly.

Once it's booted up, it runs perfectly - no problem during a 15 month period of folding bigAdv, but every boot up is an adventure in patience, faith, and a touch of suppressed panic on my part. One time, it took 12 boot ups before it succeeded, because I had cut off the power at the psu - which drains all the capacitors, and didn't give them any time to power back up before I tried a series of boots. Live and learn, I guess.

Good luck with that, and keep us posted. I've had real reservations about getting cpu's second hand, for this reason. I'm interested if your seller will make good on the deal, and the way it's handled in general.

Anyone know if this memory CORSAIR XMS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 is compatable with my supermicro MB? (H8QGi-F)
I get as far as rebooting after files have been copyed to the HD during install the I get 5 short beeps and 1 long beep, no matter what OS I use, Windows or Linix (sp?).

I don't know, but Supermicro has a rather extensive web site with support info, including some memory.

I used G.Skill Ripjaw X for Tanker (same mobo as yours). Is your BIOS set up for non-ecc memory?

I don't know, but Supermicro has a rather extensive web site with support info, including some memory.

I used G.Skill Ripjaw X for Tanker (same mobo as yours). Is your BIOS set up for non-ecc memory?

Yes, I disabled ECC.

You've tried the "set the BIOS to the "default" settings in the BIOS for maximum compatibility", already?

You have all non-essential peripherals disconnected from the system, for this?

Tried it with minimum RAM and 2 cpu, only? Tried swapping some RAM in and out of the mobo?

When I have to troubleshoot, I tend to be rather ruthless whittling it down to the barest essentials, eventually. I start with rechecking the connections of all wires and the mobo itself - it's easy to leave one too many offset posts on the back side of a mobo like this one, which has way different offset post placements. Naturally, that shorts out SOMETHING on the back side of the board. :eek:

I've always found the culprit that way, but if that doesn't work here, the only things I can think of is:

1) Order some G.Skill Ripjaw X or other RAM known to be compatible with the mobo.

2) Call Supermicro and see what they can do to assist you.

Good luck. It's a worrisome job to tackle, no doubt.

My SM boards are not the same as yours but I had issues loading the OS and found that even though my RAM was good it can be picky as to what slot/cpu it was in.
I had to swap the sticks around until Memtest86 was happy before it would load the OS.
When I set up my second server I had cloned my HDD but it wouldn't load without errors so I had to swap the sticks around until it passed memtest then it was fine.

I didn't have to run Memtest very long to see the errors pop up, usually in 30 seconds.

Mostly what I was getting was a stop screen
DSCN0516.JPG
sorry for the glare.
I think I know what that is, In the SATA Configuration on the Onchip SATA type, I need to play with the settings there. I ran into same thing with my Sabertooth 990FX board.

AW! So you HAVE a specific error expressed, and some specific ideas of how to resolve it.

That's a big step in the right direction.

AW! So you HAVE a specific error expressed, and some specific ideas of how to resolve it.

That's a big step in the right direction.

Maybe :) I think there is more than 1 problem but 1 thing at a time.

I've had it with this MB, I'm going to take it out and use it for target practice :bang head
I've fixed the beeping, now all I get is BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors

I've had it with this MB, I'm going to take it out and use it for target practice :bang head
I've fixed the beeping, now all I get is BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors

This is usually a sign of faulty RAM... However, see if you can successfully install Linux without a problem... If it does install without a hitch, then it's something else possibly with Windows.

This is usually a sign of faulty RAM... However, see if you can successfully install Linux without a problem... If it does install without a hitch, then it's something else possibly with Windows.

I switched the desktop ram with server ram and same thing :rain:

Back