• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My overclocking report (updated as needed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's stable in my book, albeit overkill :D

I was testing overnight while I was sleeping.

Anyways I seem to hit a wall with my htt. Anything past 250 and it won't post. I can't read my code display cause there's a fan blocking it. Once I get a chance I'm gonna take that fan out and see what the code is.

Well I was running over night while I sleep.

Anyways I'm seem to hit a wall on my htt speed. Anything past 250 and it won't post. I can't read my code cause it's blocked by a fan. Once I get a chance I'm gonna take that fan out and see what the code is.
I'd be shocked if the board was only good for 250 Mhz on the Fsb, it's likely something else causing the instability. Try dropping the dividers/multipliers on the other buses and see what's causing it. You may be at the point where you need a big heaping of voltage for the Cpu or may need some additional Cpu Nb voltage.

I'd be shocked if the board was only good for 250 Mhz on the Fsb, it's likely something else causing the instability. Try dropping the dividers/multipliers on the other buses and see what's causing it. You may be at the point where you need a big heaping of voltage for the Cpu or may need some additional Cpu Nb voltage.

How do I change the multipliers for them? I didn't see the option, I can only pick from different speeds.

How do I change the multipliers for them? I didn't see the option, I can only pick from different speeds.
Same difference, that is the multiplier. For instance the Ht Link Mhz is set at 2522 in post #36. So it's on the 10x multiplier 252 x 10= 2522 Mhz.

Ok that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. So is 1.35 still the safe spot for the Cpu nb? Cause at 2650 for the NB it won't boot at 1.3v. Idk I gotta figure out what code it's giving me also.

Not sure what the first think you posted is, I can't see it, and damn I didn't know I could go that high on the voltage. I was just going off of the guide that is on this forum.

What first thing, the PDF? If that is what you're talking about, it's a overclocking guide straight from AMD. That pic is from page 18, it's a pretty good read. As far as voltage goes yeah the Cpu Nb you can give some juice to. On my 8350 I need 1.3875 just to run 2 x 4g sticks at 1866, that voltage is good to about 2k on that chip and then I need to start hitting it with more. If the link isn't working for the Pdf I'll try and link it again.

Yeah that may be it, it's a PDf file. Lemme know if you can't open it when you're on the desktop and I'll see if I can find it elsewhere. :thup:

Oh and here's another pretty informative guide.

I'm starting to think it's my ram. Cause I figured out there's 4 leds on the board that light up when posting. Everything it gets sick on the ram, so the ram won't post.

Most likely it is, ram it the last thing I play with on any system. You want /need to know the system is stable before you introduce another variable, especially ram. I would drop the ram back as close to stock as possible with speed and timings/voltage and then keep going. Once you have established your OC speed then work on it. The ram will also effect your CPU_NB so, just tweaking ram you have timings/voltage and speed plus CPU_NB for variables in stability.

Thing is my rams rated at 2400 and I'm having it set lower than that and it still won't post. I got it to post once last night with 1 stick at 255 but it failed to post again.

2400Mhz is quite high for FX don't forget.
This was the best I could get on FX.

(These are G.Skill (2x4Gb) CAS 9 1600 sticks though)
Final_Clocks.PNG

IIRC I was running 1.35v CPU/NB for this. I never really went higher than that for 24/7.
1.7V DRAM v too.

I tried the ram under 1866 and it still wouldn't post lastnight. Could it be my HT voltage? I haven't changed that.

Starting to think it's just my board. No matter what I do or change voltage on it just won't post. A Fsb of 250 is all it wants. Unless my I'm setting the multipliers for HT Link and Cpu nb too high. At 2650 they won't post. I'll see what I can figure out tomorrow.

Starting to think it's just my board. No matter what I do or change voltage on it just won't post. A Fsb of 250 is all it wants. Unless my I'm setting the multipliers for HT Link and Cpu nb too high. At 2650 they won't post. I'll see what I can figure out tomorrow.

The CHV is the best board for AMD.. I'm quite positive its not the board but rather a weak IMC in the CPU...

Whats the RAM voltage set to?
1.4v CPU/NB should be plently. Set the NB to 1.2v just for stabilities sake if you haven't done so already. 1.2v is safe for 24/7 use btw. You may have to set some stupidly loose timings and tighten them down later, but that can wait until your 100% sure you are finished tweaking the CPU overclock.
Ocing the RAM is usually the last thing to do :)

Also, my max FSB is also 250. I do not have the CHV but I also know 260 FSB should be attainable on the Sabertooth, yet no amount of NB voltage will help get it.

Back