• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam holiday sale 2010 - starting 12-20

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
steam and others are sucking all the cash out of my wallet this year, bought like 5 games already, probably will buy another 5-6 before the sales end. when am i gonna find time to play them all!?

Civilization 5 went on sale today! $38 instead of $50!
Already got it from Amazon.com for that price a month ago, and used the CD key to activate on Steam :)
I've been thinking, based on recent Civ4 history and lukewarm reviews, that it might be wise to hold off on Civ5 until it's been developed further and a major expansion shows up and results in "package pricing." Civ4 remains fun in the meantime, and it's probably reasonable to expect Civ5 will come down further in the next year, yeah?

steam and others are sucking all the cash out of my wallet this year, bought like 5 games already, probably will buy another 5-6 before the sales end. when am i gonna find time to play them all!?
You've got at least a few months before their next big sale (summer?)... but having a backlog of fun games to play purchased at a great price is a common condition many of us steam users must suffer :p.

On the upswing, the longer it takes for you to find time to enjoy a title, the more there is to enjoy with w/ regard to mods and enhancements the respective fanbases/communities come up with :santa:!

I've probably got 50+ games in my list (though not all major titles) that I've never played.

Haha, same here, but I doubt it.

I'm a big CIV fan, but I don't think I would buy it for $40. I bought it for $50 and am not particularly happy with it. The UI is not half as polished as CIV4. I guess I had come to expect expert, best in class UI's and gaming experiences from the CIV franchise. CIV5 just isn't polished like the others. Simple stuff such as searching saved games by date and a transparent diplomacy system is missing. Regenerate map on first spawn? Gone. You have to return to the main menu to get a new map.

$25 or less is what I think it is worth.

Picked up Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition for $24.99...Glad I was patient. That should be about 3 months of gaming.

Just try not to snicker too much when they mention 'the taint.'

Got the overlord pack, dead rising 2 and Civ5 over the last few days. Civ5 will probably be my least smart purchase however I did get it so I could play with some friends

I'm a big CIV fan, but I don't think I would buy it for $40. I bought it for $50 and am not particularly happy with it. The UI is not half as polished as CIV4. I guess I had come to expect expert, best in class UI's and gaming experiences from the CIV franchise. CIV5 just isn't polished like the others. Simple stuff such as searching saved games by date and a transparent diplomacy system is missing. Regenerate map on first spawn? Gone. You have to return to the main menu to get a new map.
I thought the UI and polish was great! It was more the mechanics that were a little off for me, and the crashing/performance issues. They're releasing patches (or have already released them) to fix crashing and the transparency issues with diplomacy, though I haven't tried them out yet. It seemed to me like a great game that they released a couple of months before they should have.

They have made positive changes, like shrinking the overly huge UI options (originally just the UI took up half the viewing screen), and some bug fixes. The changes made to the diplomacy system are just bolted add-ons and don't address the underlying problem. Now they state to the right a ranking of how friendly or aggressive an AI message is, but it is still lame. It will be something like "Soon your aggression towards city states will be over!" and the ranking neutral. How is that neutral?

Is it polished compared to the run of the mill strategy game? Likely. Compared to Civ4? Not in the least.

I disagree about the UI polish, at least from playing the demo. Well, I'll say that the main screen UI is mostly pretty good, but the city UI is absolutely horrendous. Queuing things and changing production are painful. Assigning citizens is an absolute mess, and the city governor sometimes does insane things for no apparent reason (usually when trying one of the emphasize buttons), and furthermore, the emphasize buttons don't result in what I would consider an optimal arrangement (which it often would in Civ4). Even more annoying is that unlike in Civ4, you can only emphasize one thing. Major turnoff to actually buying the game.

Got Crysis Maximum Edition for $10. Best deal for me so far. I was going to buy it the other day since the EA store on Steam had stuff on sale. Good thing I waited.

Got Crysis Maximum Edition for $10. Best deal for me so far. I was going to buy it the other day since the EA store on Steam had stuff on sale. Good thing I waited.

Yep... Just bought this one right now myself as well... Damn those are some big downloads.. still going on the 6.5GB Crysis download now.

Code:
Sim City 4 			4.99
IL2 Sturmovick 			4.99 
DOOM Complete Pack 		8.74 
Dirt 2 				4.99
Crysis + Warhead 		9.99
ARMA II Operation Arrowhead 	19.99
Global Agenda 			7.50 
Lost Horizon 			9.99 
Mount and Blade + Warband 	9.99 
Rush 				1.69 
Section 8 			4.99